57 R1200gs NO abs light?

TheBoxer

Reaction score
Morning,well I bought a 1200 with 'working abs' ok,well at least it works from the sellers point the abs/brake fail light doesn't come on...at all. So my question,being a tech my assumption is there is indeed an issue,no light telltale with ign on so possibly bulb removed or masked under the dash? And further to this I guess this is not a servo system so the brakes will work as a bike with no abs. Also the ASC works through the abs module I would assume so I assume again this would be effected? The general warning light isn't on,the Speedo does work could it be I'm doing something wrong and it does work/the bulb has simply blown or is there an abs fault given all the above.

Thanks

if its this age - do you 100% have the reluctor ring on the inner part of the front left disc and the small wire to the wheel speed sensor... and you get a separate ABS button on the left switch gear

if it has ASC - it will ALSO have a separate ASC button beside the info button - a very rare option - and on the LCD cluster screen it will have a flashing A top right. When you press the ASC button it will swap to a better flashing S - if its working - once ridden 10 yards, it will either revert to a solid non flashing A or S another press displays nothing and its OFF

or ride up the road and stand on the back brake - if you get a crude massage on your foot its got functioning ABS, if it skids, some moron has messed with it - if it was there, but broken the red light would be on all the time

I suspect its a std bike with neither toy - or he could have turned them off with motoscan if its just broken like they always do - the brushes stick and the ESP motor doesn't run - same unit as the cars, but the ESP pump only manages the linked brakes - perfectly fixable - with a hammer or remove the pump and clean it - but that's involved

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply,yes it does have the reluctor ring complete with the abs sensor. The ASC does show up in the LCD,it does have the ASC button and the button does change the icon to an s when pressed. It does seem to be fully loaded as it also has tire pressure monitoring as well! Wasn't expecting that tbh. I will take it for a ride tonight and confirm if the abs cuts in or not.

Neil

ALL BM bikes with ABS start up with a flashing red nag that goes off as you ride off a few yards - its a self check to see if the bike detects active data from the wheel speed sensors - if so the nag goes off and all is good - so likely dead and he's been at it with motoscan - if you don't know how ECU testing will sort it

I have to press S every ride - once warmed up, if you try to give it beans in the mode it defaults too on start up - the amber flashing light goes mental and its a stuttering wreck all day long - switch to S (as in the S of GS - for off road) its allows the bike to accelerate normally - think of it like S = sport its the same effect - its still has massive nanny support - its just in a grown up mode - rather than wet nurse

Ok so on my test ride I can confirm the ABS cuts in,the ASC stops flashing when the bike moves forward and all seems good. It would seem the led? Has failed? I think if all works then probably best to leave it alone? Perfect is the enemy of good so maybe quit while I'm ahead 😜
Thanks for the help it is always appreciated.
Now next questions......

Neil

I just had motoscan on my bike - there is an option to play with the ABS red flashing light - never thought, but maybe some markets don't allow the irritating fault light - to be used as a rider safety aid at start up - and the previous owner had / or the market your bike came from is coded with a different behaviour ?

as you confirmed, the ASC is showing the bike is successfully completing the first few yards self check....

I just had motoscan on my bike - there is an option to play with the ABS red flashing light - never thought, but maybe some markets don't allow the irritating fault light - to be used as a rider safety aid at start up - and the previous owner had / or the market your bike came from is coded with a different behaviour ?

as you confirmed, the ASC is showing the bike is successfully completing the first few yards self check....
It's strange as mine has the brake failure as opposed to abs warning which I would assume (can see the wording when I poke a torch at it) so maybe specced for a different country originally?

It's strange as mine has the brake failure as opposed to abs warning which I would assume (can see the wording when I poke a torch at it) so maybe specced for a different country originally?
It depends on model year and month of manufacture, early years it was brake failure, later ones ABS If i recall? let me see where i can find it

check the hand book between a 307 and a later 450

Ok that's great thanks
Right, found it ;)

Its in the owners handbook, and its model & country dependent

MY04 Onwards has the words "brake failure" in the top area of the kombi and clause - dependent on national market spec

MY05 Onwards has the letters "ARS" in the top area of the kombi and the clause - it could be a symbol ( (I) )

MY06 Onwards has the symbol ( (I) ) in the top area of the kombi

All here if you want some bedtime reading

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/manuals/owners-handbook.html

I expect country behaviour of the flashing nag is different

I was going to say I think my June 2007 307 build says brake failure (ah maybe it does.... and thus all ABS2 bikes get the same display - but early bikes with old ABS and no capability for ASC show something else) , as I was just checking my new TC 470 and it too says Brake failure as indeed the manual suggest it does

I think your bike has been motoscanned and he switched the nag to a different market where it still does the self check but doesn't bother to tell the rider... but then does it ever show the ABS light works as a bulb test on turning the key ? should be able to toggle the ABS mode to OFF and it will stay lit as its been rider disabled for an off road section ???

I expect country behaviour of the flashing nag is different

I was going to say I think my June 2007 307 build says brake failure (ah maybe it does.... and thus all ABS2 bikes get the same display - but early bikes with old ABS and no capability for ASC show something else) , as I was just checking my new TC 470 and it too says Brake failure as indeed the manual suggest it does

I think your bike has been motoscanned and he switched the nag to a different market where it still does the self check but doesn't bother to tell the rider... but then does it ver show the light works as a bulb test on turning the key ? should be able to toggle the ABS mode to OFF and it will stay lit as its been rider disabled for an off road section ???
The other potential option, may be the month the bike was manufactured, Parts are run in and run out when model year and part

revisions are made. Its not unusual to have say an Aug 05 bike built but it has the run out 04 part fitted

Likewise the reg plate may say 05 but the bike could have been built in 04

Its no biggy as such, but interesting to know the Motoscan app can do some coding stuff

I'm surprised he has ASC - my understanding was it became an option to the 2008 model year bikes (ones with the ugly bodywork), and by october 2008 dealer tools had the ability to code in the retrofit...

but as I write that, it must be wrong as my user manual for a 307 has how it works... so maybe by Oct 2008, it was just the ability to retrofit that changed, and it was always a rare option for all ABS2 bikes - which I believe all started life after their summer holidays in July 2006. In later years BM admitting Aug build bikes are the new model year - but then during covid it all seems to have changed to a spring based factory tidy up..... For the last 2 or maybe three years - all new model year bike hit the showroom in May, with I guess an Easter refit bringing in the new range

go in the showrooms the new hideous paint schemes are now out (so I'm saying easter it is...) FYI I asked about the GS1300 and they have had it in the cupboard for 2 years already but active cruise might not land on an adventure till 2025 - which is ridiculous - with the new update on the v4 ducati they'll need to change that timeline - if leasing it who cares if it has a chain.... you want the 168 bhp and active cruise...

Last edited:
I'm surprised he has ASC - my understanding was it became an option to the 2008 model year bikes (ones with the ugly bodywork), and by october 2008 dealer tools had the ability to code in the retrofit...

but as I write that, it must be wrong as my user manual for a 307 has how it works... so maybe by Oct 2008, it was just the ability to retrofit that changed, and it was always a rare option for all ABS2 bikes - which I believe all started life after their summer holidays in July 2006. In later years BM admitting Aug build bikes are the new model year - but then during covid it all seems to have changed to a spring based factory tidy up..... For the last 2 or maybe three years - all new model year bike hit the showroom in May, with I guess an Easter refit bringing in the new range

go in the showrooms the new hideous paint schemes are now out (so I'm saying easter it is...) FYI I asked about the GS1300 and they have had it in the cupboard for 2 years already but active cruise might not land on an adventure till 2025 - which is ridiculous - with the new update on the v4 ducati they'll need to change that timeline - if leasing it who cares if it has a chain.... you want the 168 bhp and active cruise...
Yes I was surprised as well as didn't see any pre 08 bikes with it. As regards to previous questions the Nag light does nothing even when the abs button is pushed at a stop so assume lamp delete or failed led. Will check and see at a later date.

Right, found it ;)

Its in the owners handbook, and its model & country dependent

MY04 Onwards has the words "brake failure" in the top area of the kombi and clause - dependent on national market spec

MY05 Onwards has the letters "ARS" in the top area of the kombi and the clause - it could be a symbol ( (I) )

MY06 Onwards has the symbol ( (I) ) in the top area of the kombi

All here if you want some bedtime reading

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/manuals/owners-handbook.html
Thanks for that just downloaded mine,says model 307 assuming that refers to the three digits on the vin. Also covers the tpms I have,turns out my rear wheel doesn't have the sensor...hence the rear not showing a pressure so will acquire one and fit. I have all the tools for dealer level tpms for vauxhall and ford so hopefully one of those can wake the sensor up(both 433mhs)

flat battery likely - fakes for £18 on aliexpress its the valve and the unit together - some k bikes get a sensor only
if one is not displaying - should have the amber master caution flag on all the time really irriating

Thanks for that just downloaded mine,says model 307 assuming that refers to the three digits on the vin. Also covers the tpms I have,turns out my rear wheel doesn't have the sensor...hence the rear not showing a pressure so will acquire one and fit. I have all the tools for dealer level tpms for vauxhall and ford so hopefully one of those can wake the sensor up(both 433mhs)
Before you go a purchasing parts hang fire ill send you a PM

Back
Top Bottom