Going for fuel etc off route??

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just getting used to my Nav 5 and I cant work out how to go for fuel or food while on a route, if I pick either it cancels my route and takes me to the new destination:confused:

On my 550 it allowed me to add these destinations as via points to the route then continued afterwards:)

Am I doing something wrong or is this how it is:nenau

I've hardly used it. I did try it for fuel but it told me the nearest place was, for example, 22 miles away, but then when it routed me there it was about 35 miles in completely the wrong direction. It seemed to me that it gave you the distances as the crow flies, irrespective of the direction you're heading.
What I do now is zoom out on the map & look for a Shell or Chevron sign etc in the direction I want to go.

Edit: IIRC Wapping (the Nav V guru) noted something similar in an early thread about the Nav V. Not sure if he ever sorted it.

Oh, I hope there is an answer the number of times it has saved me when we have been stuck for lunch or more importantly a hot drink when the other half has been getting grumpy as she's been getting too cold, it's amazing how much more tolerant she is afterwards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as per Wapping,, but i search for fuel food etc and scroll tp choose one thats in direction of travel then zoom out to see how close to intended route...
it need the options as tom tom to select one on your route

I am pretty reluctant to trust fuel locations especially. As Timaloy says, the initial indications are frequently misleading and when you get there they turn out to be trendy wine bars etc.

Whatever you do, I suggest you always load both the routes and the track to your Nav V then set track to show on map. Thus, if you go off route for any reason, you'll be able to get back to it by heading for the track. You'll need to skip the waypoints up to there if you want to start using the route (and its turn by turn instructions again). It helps if you give your waypoints meaningful names so you have an idea where they are when the device talks about joining the route instead of wondering where the hell "xyz" or "WPT 1234" are etc.

The more I read about the Navigator, the more I think TomTom is the better device. Things like this are so simple :/

Having said that, I agree about not trusting them for fuel stations, especially in more rural areas of Europe

I have used my Nav 5 twice so far once last weekend to go to the coast on a route a had done on the computer which worked ok apart from when I changed one part of the route due to the amount of traffic it then spent the next 15 minutes trying to get me back to the part of the route I had missed even when I rejoined the route further on, in the end I had to stop the route and start it again. I also used it yesterday experimenting with 2 local routes I did one with waypoints and one without, this was when I came across the problem of picking a petrol station while on the route to see what happened.

I have until June to get to grips with it before we head off to Austria etc and need it to work properly! I was going to keep my Nav 4 just encase but as there is so much I like about the 5 I will have to get used to it!

Tried it again today while on 100 mile round trip, 1st add fuel stop worked a treat and continued on route after, when I tried it on the fuel station just up the road from my house after I filled up there the route had stopped?

Also had success using the skip function which gives me more confidence for Europe!

I agree with you. Although I really don't like Garmin or their products at all there is enough about the Nav V to make it worth persisting with. There is a lot of good stuff on there even if you stumble across it by accident. Trying to navigate your way round some of it (& remembering how to do stuff you're certain you've seen before) can be very frustrating.
It really is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

I had the same issue after I just brought my Nav V ( learning curve), 'add to route..to get to petrol station'. It stuck loads of extra miles onto the route, even though I only gone 3/4 miles off my route. The fix I found was
to:
1). Make sure you have a lot of via points so the route is forced back to the original - not practical.
2). Ride back to near enough your route , it will pick it up the original route
3). Search for petrol stations ' along your route'

Both 2 and 3 work for me.

dxtans

Back
Top Bottom