Garmin - Starting a route at a via point, plus shaping point behaviour

Hamslay

Reaction score
Now moved to Navigator VI section

=======

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the behaviour of Garmin devices when a route is started at a via point other than the first one, and whether it then uses shaping points to get there.

Let me explain with a simple route:
Bedford -> Buckingham ->Aynho -> Chipping Norton

Let's say I create Bedford and Chipping Norton as via points (start and end are by default via points) and then create the other two points as shaping points. If at some point after Bedford and before Buckingham my GPS goes nuts and ends the route, I have to restart the route and the only via points listed would be Bedford and Chipping Norton. I don't want to go back to the start, so I choose Chipping Norton. What I am trying to establish is whether when choosing a via point the Garmin still uses shaping points BEFORE that via point in deciding how to get there, in this case Buckingham and Aynho, or whether it will just find the fastest route direct to Chipping Norton from the current location.

Normally I would create all 4 points as via points. Then, if the GPS threw a wobbly after Bedford I would choose Buckingham as my starting point to restart navigation, knowing it would then continue to Aynho etc.

The downsides to creating everything as via points is that everything is announced and distances to the next via points are useless if they are really only shaping points in their use.

So does anyone know the Garmin behaviour when a route is started with the end point but shaping points exists between the current location and end point? Does it try to go to the shaping points? If not, it seems safest to always put multiple via points instead of shaping points to guarantee the route is followed irrespective of restarts.

To be fair, one could argue that if selecting a via point other than the start, one would want to go straight there ignoring any shaping points before it in the route. But that does risk the intended route not working if it has to be restarted...

Hope that makes sense! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It’ll find the fastest route (assuming that is your default setting) to Chipping Norton, from your current location. As that is where you have told the dumb device you want to be taken to.

You haven’t told us which device you use. An XT, for example, will give you the option of joining (or in your case, rejoining) the route at the closet point, which I guess, is what you want to do.

There are other workarounds, too.

Last edited:
It’ll find the fastest route (assuming that is your default setting) to Chipping Norton, from your current location. As that is where you have told the dumb device you want to be taken to.

You haven’t told us which device you use. An XT, for example, will give you the option of joining (or in your case, rejoining) the route at the closet point, which I guess, is what you want to do.

There are other workarounds, too.
Thanks Wapping.

I'm currently using a Nav 6. My experience of the Nav 6 (and 5) is that if you stop a route for any reason and need to restart from the Trip Planner, you can only chose via points. I've always suspected it ignores all of the shaping points on the way to that via point but never been sure. It sounds like I need to just keep setting everything as via points to ensure I can restart the route from some point along the way if need be.

You can navigate from where you are, onto the route. That works.

Yiu can set your device to auto-recalculate, though that can open up other lines of enquiry.

You can navigate from where you are, onto the route. That works.

Yiu can set your device to auto-recalculate, though that can open up other lines of enquiry.
You're absolutely right that if somewhat familiar with the route, like in my example, I could probably get myself back on it. On longer, unknown routes maybe not, and it would have been nice to convince the device to use shaping points on the way. Maybe I just need a newer device! :)

There are several ways you can do it, even if you do not know where you are.

The simplest is to use the old fashioned: “Please navigate to highlighted route”, using the display as an electronic map. This is the method used by bods who have their auto-recalculate set to off.

Another alternative (there are more) would be to change the shaping point ( Buckingham or Aynho) into a via point from within the device itself and select that. Your preset route will run normally thereafter.

Have a play about (you can’t break it) by creating a route and seeing if you can navigate yourself onto it from your kitchen……or have a look through the threads or via Google, to find more ways.

There are several ways you can do it, even if yiu do not know where you are.

The simplest to use the old fashioned: “Please navigate to highlighted route”, using the display as an electronic map. This is the method used by bods who have their auto-recalculate set to off.

Another alternative (there are more) would be to change the shaping point ( Buckingham or Aynho) into a via point and select that.

Have a play about (you can’t break it) by creating a route and seeing if yiu can navigate yourself onto it from your kitchen……or have a look through the threads or via Google, to find more ways.
Cheers Wapping.

I'd never thought of actually going in and editing the route to turn the nearest shaping point into via point so I can restart from there! Seems obvious now! :DD

Have a look at this:

Back
Top Bottom