590 tips

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided I should balance out previous rants on here with some hopefully useful user tips. And not all my own work I might add!!

It occurred to me that it may be useful to read the PDF manual to see if there was anything I didn't know about the 590 as it turns out there was plenty.

If you are upgrading from a Zumo 550 to a 590 there are differences in functionality. in trying to explain apols if there is repetition or confusing droning.

Zumo 590 Tips

Zumo 550 & 590 differences
Zumo 550 routes = where to? - Routes
Activate a route on 550 it will ask if you want to navigate to beginning of route if you are not near it. Once on the route if you pass a waypoint, after a few attempts of sending you back, it will give up and then direct you to the next.

Zumo 590 routes = Apps - Trip planner - Unscheduled trips.
Activate a route on 590 it will give the option of navigating to the first waypoint or destination if you select the first it will take you there then onto the route. If you select the destination it will take you there also, but depending on route preference i.e. faster time, shorter distance it may ignore your preferred route.
If you pass a waypoint on a 590 it will advise a u turn or recalculate a loop back, then cease any further directions till you either go back and pass directly over the waypoint or manually "skip" it. see skipping a point in your route.

Unscheduled trips (Routes)
If you have built a route from Basecamp and transferred it , look in Apps - Trip planner - Unscheduled trips to find it and activate it, when you hit the "go" button an option appears of the route waypoints inc first and the last/destination waypoint, depending on how many you have used.
The last/destination waypoint seems to be automatically selected, so if at this stage you press start (regardless of route built and waypoint/shaping points within that route) the device will take you straight to that destination with its own route (fastest time if that's the opted routing). Great if you want to get there fast, not so great and annoying if you wanted to ride your planned route.
This is more apparent if you are not on, or near the route (beginning waypoint) when you start.
However if you select the first waypoint (start) offered the GPS will take you to that point then along your desired route.
Be careful though, if you are past the start or halfway along a planned route, you will then need to select the destination waypoint or skip a waypoint otherwise the device will try to take you back to the start/first waypoint.

Skipping a point in your route
If you pass a waypoint and the device did not announce it (no route directions given until you either go back to it or skip it), you can skip it by (in the map view) tap 3 bars in the lower RH corner select skip, it will then direct you to the next waypoint/shaping point. This prevents the device attempting to route you back to the missed point.

Detour function.
If you are on a route and come across a road closure blockage or whatever. you can use the detour function tap 3 bars in the lower RH corner select Change route - Detour then select preferred option.

Next Junction
At the top LHS of the screen (whilst there is an active route) you will see a small arrow directing you left or right depending on your next turn with distance next to it. if you touch this it will display your next junction and give more detail instructions.

Tracks (tracks are a representation of intended route that never alters)
Before you set off on your route It's worth laying a track for reference.
Track settings go to Apps - Tracks select track (that's been sent from Basecamp). (Convert a route to a track in Basecamp on your PC right click on the route's name in the left hand listing and select "Create Track from (Selected) Route) tap wrench icon tap "Show on Map" tap "select colour" I use black.
What you'll see on the Map page when the route is activated is the magenta route path of your Trip with a black line in the middle that is the track (if your GPS is capable) so whenever the device re-calculates (auto or you click yes if prompted) you will see how and where it changes your route.
You will notice if the device re-calculates off the track, If you ignore this and stay on the track (black line), not on the Magenta route, there will be no route directions given until you re-enter the magenta route. Actually route directions are only given on the magenta regardless.

In Tracks - Wrench Icon You can alsouse the "Convert to Trip" option if all you have is a track. This is an excellent feature for those of us that travel on roads or trails that may not be on the map. Converting the Track will create a new Trip (route) of the same name in the Trip Planner that is usually a complete representation of the original Track. Now when I want to navigate the Track I go to the Trip Planner and select my "converted-track" and press GO.

I used the theme editor at the following address to modify the theme on the unit and double the width of the track. Makes it much easier to see. http://www.javawa.nl/zumocolors.html

Fuel gauge
In the home page (Where to? - View map) above view map there is a petrol pump tap it and you enter fuel gauge settings or Apps - Fuel Gauge.
Make sure your units (Units and Time) are set to miles before setting the gauge. Then set accordingly, this is only useful when away on a trip or if you keep the GPS permanently on the bike.

Telemetry window.
Tap the speedo in the lower LH Map screen this takes you to a telemetry screen speed direction elevation and averages. Worth checking max speed here before PC plod has a look, reset it if its high. Touch 3 bars - reset fields - reset max speed.

Co-ordinates
Tap apps - compass in top RHS you will find your co-ordinates

Simulator
Test your new found knowledge at home using the simulator, the Zumo will realise you are indoors and ask to stop searching for satellites. This puts the device into simulator. you can build a shortish route with multiple waypoints and shaping points also a track and start it, while the set simulates the route you can test the skip and detour function. see if the device keeps the route and track together?

Make sure that your SD card is formatted FAT32.

Hope this is useful, bet you all read the manual any way eh??

Thank you for taking the time to post your findings.

In essence, the 590 operates much the same as the Navigator V, which predates it. One thing you might find handy to learn is how to tell the device (and / or how to tell your computer) to convert a waypoint to a via-point or simple shaping point. Similarly, you can learn how to make the conversion of a via-point into a waypoint, using the device or on your computer.

As someone who used to detest the use of waypoints (points you have told a device you MUST pass through) I have started to use them, based on nothing more than better understanding how the latest Garmin devices - and their associated BaseCamp software - can exploit the waypoints quite usefully. The modern devices have become a hybrid between two things:

(1) A device used by owners who have no desire to ever plot their own routes. They want to tell a device to guide them from A to D via B and C - sometimes down windy roads - and they want to know when they'll arrive. They also want to be sure that they will pass through B and C and be put back on the device's created route should they ever leave it.

(2) A device that will allow the owner to create their own (sometimes quite intricate) routes from A to D via B and C.

As it seems more and more owners demand (1) so it has impinged on (2) and visa-versa. Mix in that some owners are either unwilling to read the manual or look at lots of very good 'How to do it' guides available on the internet or never really need to use the device for an extended period at all, demanding that Garmin give them a device that can do everything - including finding windy roads - for them at the push of a button and it soon creates other problems, many of which we see on these pages. Learn how to exploit its advanced functions or just how to use a dumb (but really quite clever) device properly and the rewards are obvious.

Thank you for taking the time to post your findings.

In essence, the 590 operates much the same as the Navigator V, which predates it. One thing you might find handy to learn is how to tell the device (and / or how to tell your computer) to convert a waypoint to a via-point or simple shaping point. Similarly, you can learn how to make the conversion of a via-point into a waypoint, using the device or on your computer.

As someone who used to detest the use of waypoints (points you have told a device you MUST pass through) I have started to use them, based on nothing more than better understanding how the latest Garmin devices - and their associated BaseCamp software - can exploit the waypoints quite usefully. The modern devices have become a hybrid between two things:

(1) A device used by owners who have no desire to ever plot their own routes. They want to tell a device to guide them from A to D via B and C - sometimes down windy roads - and they want to know when they'll arrive. They also want to be sure that they will pass through B and C and be put back on the device's created route should they ever leave it.

(2) A device that will allow the owner to create their own (sometimes quite intricate) routes from A to D via B and C.

As it seems more and more owners demand (1) so it has impinged on (2) and visa-versa. Mix in that some owners are either unwilling to read the manual or look at lots of very good 'How to do it' guides available on the internet or never really need to use the device for an extended period at all, demanding that Garmin give them a device that can do everything - including finding windy roads - for them at the push of a button and it soon creates other problems, many of which we see on these pages. Learn how to exploit its advanced functions or just how to use a dumb (but really quite clever) device properly and the rewards are obvious.

I am fairly guilty of not reading the instructions what is apparent is this seems(to me) to be a black art that shouldn't be.
Garmin give user guide on how their device works (actually you have to download it), but there doesn't seem to be a best practice of how to use it with Basecamp from Garmin.
I am savvy with Basecamp now (no expert but can plot routes) Its not complicated but it is enough to put a fair amount of people off (1) or giving up as they start learning.

With the 590 I had started turning changing waypoints into shaping points, now I am aware of the skip function I don't have to spend more time changing them.

A very interesting review of the 590.

I'm just about to replace my ancient Garmin Streetpilot 6210 [it has started inserting unsolicited random and invisible via points into planned routes!?!] and I'm looking at the Garmin Zumo 590LM / TomTom Rider 400 as possible options, so finding out about how to overcome various issues on the 590 is useful.

Paul

If you want to have a look at a 590lm in the flesh and see how they work before you decide upon that or the Tom Tom please feel free to pm me. I will be more than happy to meet up and give you a demo on mine (providing I can find you :augie).

Neil

A very interesting review of the 590.

I'm just about to replace my ancient Garmin Streetpilot 6210 [it has started inserting unsolicited random and invisible via points into planned routes!?!] and I'm looking at the Garmin Zumo 590LM / TomTom Rider 400 as possible options, so finding out about how to overcome various issues on the 590 is useful.

Hi Paul, I cannot compare with the TomTom as I have never used one. but can say that the 590 is an excellent piece of kit. Yes I have ranted about it and it has let me down/led me astray occasionally which has been very frustrating but this is more to do with user experience and device set up.

The more I use it the better I understand how It functions and the more I am glad I bought it. It has an excellent map screen and scrolling. I think there is faster CPU and a large internal memory with plenty of room for City navigator mapping. Great up ahead functionality to help you find hotels, petrol stations, restaurants ect.

Would be interested to fnd out what you decided on and why??

Paul

If you want to have a look at a 590lm in the flesh and see how they work before you decide upon that or the Tom Tom please feel free to pm me. I will be more than happy to meet up and give you a demo on mine (providing I can find you :augie).

Hi Neil, thanks for your time in giving me an overview of the 590LM capabilities. Technology has moved on quite a bit since I bought my Garmin 2610.... anyway, on the basis on your demo I placed an order for a 590LM. Just need to get to grips with Basecamp now.

Thanks again.

Would be interested to fnd out what you decided on and why??

I decided to go for the 590LM for a number of reasons - first, I've used Garmin for over 10 years and I guess I'm used to the product (time will tell whether this turns out to be true). second, I saw a rider's review on Youtube which seemed to me to show that the TomTom Rider wasn't that great when operated with gloves on - quite important in my view.

Third, I also quite like the option of using the device to monitor tyre pressures on trips off-island - my 2005 GS doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring built-in - though I haven't bought the valve devices to enable this yet. And lastly, the MP3 function might be useful though to date I haven't listened to music while riding (perhaps it's because at my advanced years you need to focus more on what is happening on the road).

Anyway, I received my new 590LM this afternoon courtesy of a large online retailer, so Christmas came early. Now I just need to get it fitted on the bike and start testing it out.

Hi Neil, thanks for your time in giving me an overview of the 590LM capabilities. Technology has moved on quite a bit since I bought my Garmin 2610.... anyway, on the basis on your demo I placed an order for a 590LM. Just need to get to grips with Basecamp now.

Thanks again.

My pleasure Paul. It was nice to meet you. Enjoy rigging up your new toy.

Neil

Don't tell me that Garmin wasted any software mapping out Guernsey. Surely all you need to know in Guernsey is where the pub is and where to find your sister after a few pints :aidan

I decided to go for the 590LM for a number of reasons - first, I've used Garmin for over 10 years and I guess I'm used to the product (time will tell whether this turns out to be true). second, I saw a rider's review on Youtube which seemed to me to show that the TomTom Rider wasn't that great when operated with gloves on - quite important in my view.

Third, I also quite like the option of using the device to monitor tyre pressures on trips off-island - my 2005 GS doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring built-in - though I haven't bought the valve devices to enable this yet. And lastly, the MP3 function might be useful though to date I haven't listened to music while riding (perhaps it's because at my advanced years you need to focus more on what is happening on the road).

Anyway, I received my new 590LM this afternoon courtesy of a large online retailer, so Christmas came early. Now I just need to get it fitted on the bike and start testing it out.

Good to hear I think you made the right choice, It takes a little getting used to (well for me it did :augie ) and worth making some test routes (on familiar roads) with waypoints and deliberately ride off the routes to get a feel of how it re-calculates you will only be able to reference this with a track set as well.

I read the write up in this months Ride magazine comparing the 590 to the new Tom Tom Rider and I am happy I have the Garmin.

As for base camp have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75KTv-dxB0&feature=youtu.be and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q2U3McvjM

good luck!!

Don't tell me that Garmin wasted any software mapping out Guernsey. Surely all you need to know in Guernsey is where the pub is and where to find your sister after a few pints :aidan

Dunno,as I've never looked.Quite handy for the Alps and beyond though.

grinning-smiley-010.gif

Back
Top Bottom