Looking for a MK1 Le Mans

I've never really got the Le mans thing. Back in the 80's when a big group of us rode Italian bikes the Guzzis were never on the pace. It would be Laverdas, followed by 900SS Dukes with the Le Mans riders trailing in the wake.

Yours for £20k :D

for £20K i might even sell him this one.

le%20mans%20compton%20abbas%20small.jpg

I've never really got the Le mans thing. Back in the 80's when a big group of us rode Italian bikes the Guzzis were never on the pace. It would be Laverdas, followed by 900SS Dukes with the Le Mans riders trailing in the wake.

I can understand that, my lemans seems scary fast at 100!

Not that I go that fast nowerdays!

my first le mans (the one in bandit's pictures) was a good 5/10 mph faster than my mates 900SS. not so natural in the corners for sure, but better than a Jota which needed a lot more muscle and just seemed uncouth in comparison. maybe that actually was a good thing, but i didn't see it that way at the time.

I can understand that, my lemans seems scary fast at 100!

Not that I go that fast nowerdays!

True. My views are based on remembering them as current sports bikes. Of course everything changed when the kwack gpz1100 uni track came out and the Italian bikes got ditched.

They are a lovely looking bike though.

If you are buying a Le Mans, make sure it is a Le Mans not a wannabe. There are a lot of T3's, Spada's etc made to look like Le Mans'.

If you are buying a Le Mans, make sure it is a Le Mans not a wannabe. There are a lot of T3's, Spada's etc made to look like Le Mans'.

that's easy, a Le mans will have VE before the frame number on the headstock, though the original and mk2 will have the same,

less easy is to know that the Le Mans has the big valve Le mans head, even if it is the correct frame,

Mock 1 Le mans made from a MK2 are much better value, the MK2 has a better but uglier fairing, and they being half the price, with only a few differences, mean if you want a user rather than an investment, worth a look

even a wannabe le mans from a spada or T3 is a great bike, as long as you don't pay LM money,

though a good T3 or spada in standard condition is a useful and enjoyable classic, and all day comfortable, unlike the LM,

they all use the same basic frame, so parts are interchangeable,
the LM3 is a better bike to ride, but of course is square barrel, like modern guzzi's,

though most of the chrome bore models will be changed, you have to be careful if you import one from the states as they quite often come with original peeling chrome bores, only the late Mk2 models had plated non chrome bores,

in my opinion the original bars are too short, and need a couple of inches extra welding on, and the clutch and brake mounts moved to the other side of the riser part, this makes them steer quicker, and the front brake more usable,

worth doing on a mock 1, but not original!

my old mock1, done because the original fairing was long gone, with the wider bars,

and the Mk2 that replaced it, that I have yet to extend the bars!

Origional modern retro lemans

The last of the lemans but not called a lemans.

1000se

The better half says why do i need two red bikes.

The last of the lemans but not called a lemans.

1000se

The better half says why do i need two red bikes.
My wife says " why do you need six bikes,you can only ride one at a time " my reply,if I didn't have bikes I'd probably waste my money, she still hasn't come up with a reply.

Back
Top Bottom