2017 is the year I crack Basecrap

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I am going to crack this basecamp even if it kills me. Been messing about again with it and its beginning to sink in a little however for the life of me I cannot fathom out what I believe will be a basic thing but it is causing me probs.

SOOO When I click on trip planner and click to get the stringy thing moving, that's all OK, but if I then go to the pan or erase button etc, so basically pause the route building, what do I press to continue the route building when I have zoomed out for example, from where I left off? Not sure if that makes sense? Have options like 'select' 'insert' 'move point'

Thanks Paul

Cmon guys I have started to read the info on here and slowly I think I am getting there but can't figure out how to restart a route I am creating if I erase a bit that goes a circular way then go back to it.

a good start when asking for help would be to actually describe what you are doing and what you intend doing, using correct terminology...otherwise its gets hard to tell you where to move the thingamebobby to get the thingymejiggy to line up with that whatsit over there..... Bit like a passenger that says turn here....(where dear? Left or right...oops...)

Is this any good to you:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NDLyicG_Ge4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alternatively, how about:

Q. Can you provide advice on how continue adding to the end of a route?

A. From insert point mode double click on the last point on the route and drag to next point

Any good?

There are some really good tutorial videos out there, on a whole host of subjects.

PS How are you 'building' your route. Are you:

(1) Starting at A, clicking on a road, then clicking on another road, then clicking on another road.... then running out of map.... then scrolling the screen..... then starting trying to click again, to try to click on another road to take you towards your destination B

Or

(2) Starting at A, going straight to the end destination B, then using the route shaping tool to drag the route along the roads you want to ride?

If your answer is (1).... try method (2)

How are you getting circles in your routes in the first place? Have you set your preferences to something rediculous like, avoiding motorways, 'twisty' roads, so that the poor software keeps trying to loop you back to take in some twisty stretch that avoids a motorway?

a good start when asking for help would be to actually describe what you are doing and what you intend doing, using correct terminology...otherwise its gets hard to tell you where to move the thingamebobby to get the thingymejiggy to line up with that whatsit over there..... Bit like a passenger that says turn here....(where dear? Left or right...oops...)

A good start when replying to a plea for help is not to be too patronising when someone obviously doesn't understand what the correct terminology is, but thanks for your post at least it gave it a bump.:D

PS How are you 'building' your route. Are you:

(1) Starting at A, clicking on a road, then clicking on another road, then clicking on another road.... then running out of map.... then scrolling the screen..... then starting trying to click again, to try to click on another road to take you towards your destination B

Or

(2) Starting at A, going straight to the end destination B, then using the route shaping tool to drag the route along the roads you want to ride?

If your answer is (1).... try method (2)

How are you getting circles in your routes in the first place? Have you set your preferences to something rediculous like, avoiding motorways, 'twisty' roads, so that the poor software keeps trying to loop you back to take in some twisty stretch that avoids a motorway?

I have been reading the New England Riders download which has helped me reset all the preferences in basecamp and on the Nav V and I think this was a lot of the problem. I am getting there but the frustrating thing is trying to restart the route I am compiling if I click on a different icon. For instance when I had done several clicks and the route was taking shape if it suddenly looped I would go to the erase icon to get rid of that bit I didn't want but then I can't work out how to continue the route again, it s emus I am creating a new one from scratch. So I think I am doing no 1 above but will try 2 tomorrow and also looked at the video clip tomorrow. As I said it feels like I am getting there and not giving up this time.

Thanks for your expertise and patience very appreciated :beerjug:

Persevere, it's worth sticking with Basecamp and reading some of the other threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this any good to you:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NDLyicG_Ge4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alternatively, how about:

Any good?

There are some really good tutorial videos out there, on a whole host of subjects.

Yes have worked that out as she says on the video. She uses the 'insert icon' and this is an issue for me too as when she moves the point to the place she wants to now go to it changes the whole route, not just a small detour, up to where she wants to additional visit. So is it possible to keep the route as it is but alter a small section so the routing only changes for the 'new place' before rejoining the original route?

Persevere, it's worth sticking with Basecamp and reading some of the other threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think your right I have yesterday and today spent a couple of hours getting used to it and all the little tips are making it easier, which is building my confidence in it. I can now see why when it clicks it will be a very useful tool. I have planned a route from Bruges to Normandy using Motorway for first 200 miles then we divert to the coast around Dieppe before rejoining the motorway after Honfleur before then taking A roads to Arromanche. Well that at least what I think I have done :D

I always found it illogical and frustrating until I printed off some excellent instructions from someone cleverer than Engineer on here.

Every time I use it, I now use these instructions and it works

I always found it illogical and frustrating until I printed off some excellent instructions from someone cleverer than Engineer on here.

Every time I use it, I now use these instructions and it works

Can you post a link for this?

Yes have worked that out as she says on the video. She uses the 'insert icon' and this is an issue for me too as when she moves the point to the place she wants to now go to it changes the whole route, not just a small detour, up to where she wants to additional visit. So is it possible to keep the route as it is but alter a small section so the routing only changes for the 'new place' before rejoining the original route?

The trouble with the written word is that it is sometimes difficult to imagine what the circumstances are but let's see what we can do to help.

1. Start by turning all the preferences off. Why? That way we will all know how you have your computer configured.

2. Get used to starting the creation of any route by using method (2) in post #5. Why? It's the easiest way when learning and we'll all know which method you are using.

Is it possible to use method (1)? Yes, but not yet. Always start with the easiest method first.

3. You talk about the whole route jumping. Yes, depending on what you are doing, the length of the route you are working on and the settings you have asked the software to use, it may well jump. Imagine if you will, a route created using method (2) post #5 from Northampton to London. The single magenta line first offered up by the software will probably go: Northampton > M1 motorway > London, as that is the quickest, direct route. If you then decide to go from Northampton to London via Ipswich and then drag (shape) the route using the shaping tool, then yes, the route will jump quite considerably to cater for the three points: Northampton > Ipswich > London.

4. In the example above I purposely chose two places (Northampton and London) as they are both towns most people will have heard of and will know where they are geographically. Similarly, I added in Ipswich too, for exactly the same reason. It's so much easier than reading something like "I have a route that goes from (insert tiny village in France) to (insert tiny village in Spain)" as most people will struggle imagining the route in the first place. When learning, try to keep things on a manageable scale at first. Once mastered, the methodology and 'tricks of the trade' learnt on a small scale will work just as well on a big scale, trust me.

5. Now let's go back to shaping a route:

(a) Always start by using method (2) in post #5

(b) If you do so, the computer will generate one single continuous line between your start and end points, complying to the preferences you have asked it to use. If you have set your preferences to exclude motorways, then the route offered up will not go down the M1 but may well take the A5 south. Turning all the preferences off, removes that variable.

(c) When shaping a route, try to imagine what you are asking the the software to do. In the Northampton to London route, it is A to B. This is easy. You then added in Ipswich, again it looks easy as it now goes A (Northampton) to B (Ipswich) to C (London) but you added in quite a complex jump for the computer to make, all the way out to Ipswich and then back to London.

Every time you drag a route to shape it, you make it more complicated. The software can do it, do it very well very quickly but you have to imagine that it is often very bright or very stupid. If it shapes the route exactly as you would like it to, it is very clever. If it shapes it some other way, it is suddenly very stupid.

Imagine, A to B again. Now imagine shaping that route, to go via an intermediate point, Ipswich in my example. It now goes: A to B via C. All that the computer has done has done is take on board that you've changed your mind and want to go via Ipswich. The computer does not care why you have done this, it will simply follow your instructions to do it.

Now imagine that you do not like the way it has chosen to take you from Northampton to Ipswich, but you are happy with the route from Ipswich to London. You need to shape between Northampton and Ipswich, so you shape it a bit to take the ring road around Cambridge. The computer will do it, in a fraction of a second. If you like what it offers up, it (and you) are a genius. If it doesn't, you have to think why and help it a bit.

Your route now goes Northampton > Cambridge ring road > Ipswich > London. Every time you added in a shaping point (Cambrige's ring road and Ipswich) your computer said to itself, "Aha, you want to go there, to do that I'll change the route I had offered up". In other words, the act of shaping adds in a variable. Here's how to help it along when you are learning:

(a) Always start A to B, your complete journey' post #5 method (2). Why? Because that is easiest and those are first and only 'Must do' points of your journey. In other words, you know that you want to go, Northampton to London, so start with that as it's easiest. Then.... once you have done that and nothing else.... start your shaping.

(b) Make your most significant route alteration to your next 'must do' point first. In my example, Ipswich. Try to make this point as close to half way as possible. Why? You have started the shaping process by giving your route it's simplest basic shape. It now goes A , via B (shaping point) to C (end point). Now shape your route again, roughly half way between the points you want to shape. This way you help it along. You will notice that each shaping point never moves, but the line between them might and does. That is because the computer is having its own"Aha" moment, so you might have to fine tune it at each stage a bit. Choosing points roughly halfway is a good way to help and to learn.

After a while you'll get quite good at choosing points to shape to, trust me. You'll also get pretty proficient with using different scales of the map and the amount of detail shown, trust me again. You'll also get used to using the 'undo' and 're-do'commands, trust me.

Be patient. Take a break from time to time. Don't just slam the keyboard and call it crap, it really isn't. Look at the routes I have created in the Travel section. These are not, "I am a genius" routes; I am not. I just learned - and am still learning - how to do it. I was forced to as I was taking bods on this site away on jaunts, so I had to learn. I had no choice. Suddenly, it all clicked into place. The first big Eureka momonent was when I stopped using method (1) in post #5 and started using method (2) getting used to shaping. This was a method I had never used in Mapsource. Once I had made that jump, the second Eureka moment was when I turned off all the preferences.... the software was no longer able to choose roads it wanted to take, roads that made no sense to me.... I now controlled things and had removed a variable. Now that I am used to how preferences work, I do sometimes turn some on, just to save some time. But, when I've finished, I turn them all off again. In other words, I dictate to the software what I want it to do, not the other way around.

I cannot stress too much:

1. Keeping it simple at first. BaseCamp can do some really complicated things, really well. It is much more powerful software than Mapsource but at its simplest it operates in exactly the same way.

2. The value of looking at some of the very good video tutorials bods have created. I use them still. I find it helpful to have the video running on my iPad whilst I work on the computer, as it separates the two. But, hey, personal computers are exactly that, personal. So do whatever suits you best.

3. Remembering, that if you have a question there's a very good chance that someone has asked it before and.... more importantly.... someone will have answered it. That is where a Google search comes in. Type your question into Google, in as few words as possible. For example: 'BaseCamp shaping routes'. Up will pop suggestions. Surf through them. Find one or more answers you like, discarding others. Not quite getting the answers you needed? Easy... change the words in the question asked of Google or just add a question mark at the end. Rather like learning BaseCamp, learning the tricks of Google is often beneficial.

That is not to say, "Don't ask a question on UKGSer". I only suggest it as it's often quicker and you might more quickly find the answer you are looking for and, most importantly, one that makes sense to you. That you sometimes trip over something else in your surf about is often a bonus, too. Not least, asking Google for: 'BaseCamp shaping routes' is only three words to type, not the 50 or more that are sometimes requred to explain the reason why you need to know about shaping points. God often helps those who help themselves, for everything else there's UKGSer.

All good advice from Wapping, but remember when using basecamp its functions are slightly different if using a pc compared to a mac, so just be aware you are using the right instructions for the machine you are working on, or it may get you a little confused.
My advice would be to keep at it, its a powerfull piece of software, that works very well, and as with most software, the more time and effort you put in to it the easier it becomes to navigate and use it.

I meant to start with.... Is it a Mac or a PC, you are using..... in my excitement, I forgot!

OP, if you download the RiDE app you can download - for a low cost - back issues. Early in 2014 (February) they had a very simple to follow article on how to plot routes in BaseCamp. It might help you. Or contact Simon W, he might be persuaded to send you a copy; just tell him how you came to ask him.

Thanks guys, especially Mr Wapping.

I will do my homework and report back in the next week or so on my progress and doubtless additional questions. :thumb

Just to concur with Mr Wapping's advice. I struggled for two years, before watching all the tutorials and taking tips from like-minded bikers.... it's the way to go.

However, I had the same problem when 'leaving' the route to change from one 'tool' to another when using your option 1 #5 I.e. Using the hand to move the map. Then I discovered that if you use the on-screen enlarging/reducing the map and the 'compass' to move the map east, west, north or south, you never leave your route and can continue plotting along your route. I offer this in addition to all the info you have had from the others, not in place of. Option 2 is still better. Hope this helps, not hinders.
:beerjug:
Ps I love it as I have just had 3 days on the sick and have plotted my 12 day trip to the alps with hotels, food stops across France Germany, Switzerland and Italy. It really does get easier with practice, just need many hours at it... best of luck to you Wonkey....

ive only just fitted my 340lm onto the bike...then tried basecamp...
managed to plot a route from my house and done a loop back to home....about 25miles....
sent it to sat nav rode it and so far so good...
it did take me a few atempts but confident i can do easy quick routes...not sure i can do more as yet....
watched a few tutorials on youtube first....
ive got a book called bikers britain..THE TOURS..and my next challenge is to plot a local route from the book onto basecamp...
good luck with it but think itll get easier the more you do it

Back
Top Bottom