Picking the bike up... oh dear.

snoopy

After the ACE cafe I ventured onto some farmers fields and continued where it started to get a little rough for my enduro tyres. Down went the bike but as luck would have it it dropped so the bike was tilted downwards a bit rather than just on its side.

I spent 1/2 hr trying to pick it up. Tried using the handlebar technique but to no avail. Had limited success by pushing under the seat/tank body but no-where near all the way.

By chance some kids helped me out and I got it back over.

Is there some magical way of doing it or do I presume if you go off road you make sure some mates are with you to help out?

When you say "tilted downwards a bit" I assume you mean that you were on a slope and the tyres were facing uphill. I've only ever had to do this once (not on my current bike luckily :D ) but you need to spin the bike around 180 degrees (so that the tyres are now facing downhill) and pick it up as normal.

Would that mean to get it in gear, and spin using engine? How would you normally pick up - using handlebars?

snoopy said:
Would that mean to get it in gear, and spin using engine? How would you normally pick up - using handlebars?

Spin it around on the cylinder head or engine bars.

Turn the handlebars so that the front wheel points skywards, then face the bike, grab the handlebar grip with both hands, knees bent, back straight, straighten your legs and up she comes!

Alledgedly.

For me the only way I can pick up a bike is to point the front wheel to the sky as described, then turn my back to it and lift it by straightening my legs and walking backwards towards it. If the bike is on its right side put the side stand out before you lift it.

Make sure its in gear when you pick it up or you'll be running down the hill after it!

And if you lift facing the bike, try to avoid the wing mirror coming up between your legs, you'll have to put it down again quickly before hernia-shaped things sprout forth. I would imagine.

I find that the approach of some third party usually stimulates enough adrenaline to get the bike upright and avoid (minimise?) embarassment :D

helpful advice

3 wheatabix :rolleyes: droped a kawasaki Z1300 twice and manage to lift it both times un aided, but had a hell of a job lifting a 916 ducati a couple of years ago. Think it helps if you get angry...

Thats the way to do it, don't lift but get a good hold with back to the bike and push it up on the tyres.

Rockbyter said:
Thats the way to do it, don't lift but get a good hold with back to the bike and push it up on the tyres.

Its a laff watching someone trying to do that off road in wet grass or on dust. (its impossible).

Wheel skywards and grasp lower handlebar and lift with your legs - its the only way. With a boxer engine the things half way up by rocking it on the cylinder anyway

Free demos at Princetown this weekend cos i'll be droppin me bike lots. :thumb

My riding buddy just dropped his GS yesterday whilst wheeling it onto his lawn, it slipped too far away from him to hold it up and he had to lay it down away from him as gently as he could on its RHS so no damage to the end can. It just sat down slowly on the engine bars.

I laughed and told him he isn't a real GS'er until he's dropped one. ;)

Mines been over a few times now in the mud, luckily my H&B's save the day.

You could always try this Snoopy:

http://www.fromskinnytomuscular.com/

Cheers I'll use one of the techniques given next time. I've a feeling the back against tank one might have worked - the handlebar one which i tried was impossible despite me having done it when the bike was 0degrees horizontal.

Andy

I found I could do the "US girlies" way in soft ground because I could dig my heels in.
The bike was fully loaded, pillion pilots case full of heavy docs, tank bags, laptop, full tank, you name it, inverted on a steep sloping, wet mud n' rubble field "car park", in total darkness.
Unable to spin it round on the head (sunk in the mud) or lift it the usual way (too heavy,slipped,=full face plant in the mud), but managed by turning the bars round closer to the seat, gripping throttle and the sub-frame on the other side, and shoving it up backwards by digging my heels in.
(Motto of story, don't go offroading in the dark, over-loaded and wearing high heels!)

Drag it around by the back wheel - as demonstrated by our instructor at Hechlingen the pick up using the handle bars. Spin it round on the cylinder head until you can get a good hand hold and leverage - sounds simple but you'll scratch your nice shiney paint for sure :D

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 480

Back
Top Bottom