Scottoiler

GADGET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to fit a scottoiler, I have one already from my last chain driven bike, so have fitted one before, but the fuel injection has got me confused.
Is there somewhere to fit the tube that makes the oil flow. normally it would fit somewhre on the inlet manifold on a conventional carbed bike. Anyone else fitted one? john

Gadget

You will have to strip the airbox down and release the injector (you don't need to undo all the cabling just a couple of electrical connectors so you can tie it back out the way) before unbolting the inlet gasket.

I drilled the right side and glued in the spigot and glued on the nut (So it doesn't vibrate loose and drop into the engine :eek: )

It all sounds a bit complicated, but in reality was a simple enough job to do. I located the reservoir on the frame below the rear suspension adjustment wheel. although I had to cut the back of the holder so it did not chaff the wiring attached to the frame.

These notes were sent to me. If you read them bottom to top, they make more sense in where to start the job. Hope they help.

PB

Scottoiler%20notes.jpg

having fitted dozens of Scottoilers a method I found workes fine was to drill a small hole into the carb rubber and then lube up the brass conecter thing and push it through the rubber with a pair of pliers. The rubber has enough give to allow the wide bit through then closes up onto the threaded part and creates a seal. Then gently screw on the locking nut a dab of sealer first to be sure. All this can be done without taking carbs air box etc off.

Its all poo,

Great for carbed bikes, but unfortunately the injector manifold is buried in the heart of the bike and has to be pulled for you to be able to drill it.
PB

...or you can buy a belt driven BMW F650 and forget all about scottoiler. :D

Guess what type BMW I ride!?!? :D

:) Liv.

Pondboy said:
Great for carbed bikes, but unfortunately the injector manifold is buried in the heart of the bike and has to be pulled for you to be able to drill it.
PB

Several of the pictures on the Scottoiler website are of my installation on SWMBO's 650GS (before it got 'alf-inched!).

You need to get this item in your hands...

9_E_BMW_F650FI_2K_INLET_wee.gif

... and drill the rubber to fit the vacuum pipe.

It is a bit of a pain to remove, but the result is worthwhile.

If you're fitting a HCR behind the rear number plate like this:

9_M_BMW_F650fi_wee.gif

it's a really good idea to fit the Touratech stiffener. If you have factory hard luggage, it just clears the cross brace.

Greg

Greg,

That's the bit.

And here is the easiest place to fit the standard reservoir. Note the velcro strap so you can easily move the reservoir to get at the oil filter.

Scottoiler.jpg

:thumb PB

Chain lube

... must be possible to fabricate a drip-feed chain oiler without all that fuss?? :(

P.J. said:
... must be possible to fabricate a drip-feed chain oiler without all that fuss?? :(
Yes, but you want it to stop dripping when you stop the bike!

Greg

Thanks for the advice, looks simple enough, I should have posted this when I had the airbox off to do the valve clearances! GADGET

GADGET said:
Thanks for the advice, looks simple enough, I should have posted this when I had the airbox off to do the valve clearances! GADGET

What earthly use would ScottOiler information be when doing the valves? :rolleyes:

Once again, ukgser provides me with the knowledge to tackle working on my bike and thereby gaining the tremendous satisfaction one gets after fixing something. Only yesterday, I was looking at my 650 intake, wondering how I was going to fit the old scottoiler which has been lying about for years. And lo! here is the answer! Yippee.

I understand you have to squeeze it every 50 miles or so, but if you don'y ride for 2 or 3 days do you end up with a puddle under your tyre?

I'm wondering, being a cheapskate tyke, whether to for out for the scottoiler, or go with the loobman?

ginger chris said:
I understand you have to squeeze it every 50 miles or so, but if you don'y ride for 2 or 3 days do you end up with a puddle under your tyre?

I'm wondering, being a cheapskate tyke, whether to for out for the scottoiler, or go with the loobman?

The Loobman takes roughly 10 miles or so to deliver a "squeeze" of oil, quicker in the summer and slower in winter. You get uses to it and can easily vary the oil used to suit the time of year. You can even use old engine oil and so save more money. There is still a bit of oil thrown onto the back wheel, which I would expect with any oiler but once used to it you rarely get puddles on the ground, just don't squeeze it too soon before parking it.
The joys of a chain :rolleyes:

Andy

I asked my local dealer (South London Motorcycles) about a Scottoiler for my 04 Dakar and they are recomending a Lubetronic. Anyone know if these are ok?

hi pav, re the lubetronic (sold by motrax) i have one on my dakar , it was already on when i bought the bike .
a lot of dealers seem to recomend them because they are quick to fit , ie just scotchlock on a couple of wires , a few cable ties and bingo one chain oiler fitted :rolleyes:
with the scotoliler you have to remove the airbox and throttle body to connect to a vacumn source , quite a big job .

the lubetronic in practice tho are a pain ,the oil reservoir is black so you cant see how much oil you have left ,
takes ages to refil the reservoir using a squezy bottle ,

with the optional timer unit which you really need , there is very little price diference between that and the scotoiler .

if i had to fit another chain oiler it would be a scotoiler , not a fekking motrax lubetronic :tosser

cheers mike

Back
Top Bottom