GSADV v's GS

Rowdy

Well, I just had my first ride on a GSADV. In fact, first ride on any sort of GS and any type of BMW since 1978! Never owned one!
I have a list of complaints about the bike, ok I'm really not used to anything like this, so I accept it would take a while to adjust to.
I found it difficult at first not to be overwhelmed by the sheer size & weight, if I got ADV, I would have to get the lower seat option. I'm 5.11..Once on the road I did begin to appreciate the riding position and after 2 hours started to appreciate things, like a fuel gauge, large L & R dash indicator lights and gear position indicator, damn, I'm sounding like an old bugger...Hmm, I am! The cut-off switch for the indicators is ****** awkward, do the designers have an extra thumb?
I was on a 2002 model, 600klms up & it just didn't seem to do much until I was in 5th or 6th, maybe I was just being super cautious, considering I would be paying $2000 Aus, for insurance excess, if I dropped it...... I did enjoy the acceleration in top. The test bike was fitted with Pirelli's, can't remember what type and the rear did let go very easily on slightly damp twisty section?... Tyres?? I doubt if my Duc would have let go so easily, again Michelin Sports tyre V Pirelli, maybe hard compound, whatever they were?
Is it normal when going down to first to hear a loud clunk? Also the engine vibration at around 4500 on, was something I was aware of, although it didn't bother me too much. Also the sensation of feeling that the engine had cut out everytime I slowed to stop for an intersection or lights. Was it the sluggish throttle response or possibly because the pipe was so quiet!!
The shop did have another Adventure which was fitted with a "Da Vinci"? muffler and that sounded sensational.
Anyway I've decided now to get a test on a GS, thinking that the ADV options wouldn't, in the end be a huge advantage. The ADV in Oz comes standard with the larger tank & I liked the idea of that but then the lower seat costs another $380. The GS should be adequate for the amount of off-road riding I intend to do.
Finally, I think this is a bike I could learn to enjoy. Difficult, coming from the Duc 998, which I don't intend to give up.

:beer::confused:

Clunking, mine does it especially from standstill going into first, haven't been aware of it going the other way. Probably something to do with the transmission and the clutch being driven at engine speed (I think). The adventure was't around much when I got mine and as I rarely go off road intentionally and usually carry a pillion then I've probably got the best bike for me.

Seat height, don't know about the adv but on the "normal" one there's two seat height options high and higher, the standard adv seat is even higher than the higher!

Changing the cat for a y-piece increases the quality of the sound without the hassles of e-marks or whatever you have in Oz.

Whichever you get, you should enjoy it.

Rowdy

There's plenty of advice available re the issues you mentioned - do some searches on this site and the Adventure Rider site (US) and you should get most of the answers you need.

Coming from the Duke would indeed be a change, but if you're lucky enough to have both, you'll have some of the finest machinery ever built.

In think it just depends on where you want to ride and, as you say aftermarket extras costs. If it comes down to big tank versus low seat - the adv might be cheaper asa big aftermarket tank is expensive. Either way I agree with paul you are going to fall into the lucky lucky bastard category. Good on you - you´ll enjoy either.

Howya Rowdy...

Dunno what exhaust was fitted, but changing from the standard factory one makes a huge difference. The can of choice seems to be the Remus Titanium (see Technical threads) if for no other reason it makes people (including yourself) sit up and pay attention.

Coming from a Duke... (yummmm!)... you're bound to notice the difference... so get the can (and possibly a Y-piece) and the neighbours will love ya for it!

Back
Top Bottom