'Rain X' on visor...good or bad idea???

Gavin4333

Hi all,

As the title says is using Rain X, or similar, on a visor a good or bad idea??

The stuff works really well dispersing rain water off my cars windscreen and would be good to use on the bike - however I'm concerned about a reaction on the visor, or its coating.

Does anybody out there use it, or had an experience with it??

Thanks.

Works great on glass car screens, however, when I've tried it it does not does not seem to work on plastic visors or bike screens

Gavin4333 said:
Does anybody out there use it, or had an experience with it??
When my son and I use to endurance race a Pro Kart we both used it on our visors. It very effectively ruined the anti-scratch coating on his Shoei visor while my Suomy one was undamaged.

It knackred the anti scratch coating on my Dainese lids visor too

I wouldn`t use it on a helmet visor!

I was told there are 2 types, one for plastic and one for glass, although I've never been able to find the one for plastic, used to use it all the time years ago and worked a treat, but seems the stuff has since changed :nenau

I use it

I've always used a decent coating of Rain-X on my Arai visor. It's now 4 years old and looks as good as new, apart from the stone chip (bugger!) :)

Never had an issue with not being able to see and looking left and right at any speed clears the visor of water. Also, I think it's easier to clean bugs off.

Word of caution, don't put it on the inside. It will make it mist up much more than normal. Learned that lesson from the windscreen of my mini :(
Neil

Personally I use 'Rain Away' by Mer ( http://www.merproducts.co.uk/ ) - its designed to work on plastic as well as glass and works quite well imo.

You do have to be going more than around 40 mph for it to actually work, and it doesn't stop road salt issues.

I've used Rain-X for years on various makes of visor.

I swear by it and haven't (yet!) had any problems with it.

Andres

Outtomunch said:
I've used Rain-X for years on various makes of visor.

I swear by it and haven't (yet!) had any problems with it.

Andres

I use Rain-X anti-fog (black bottle) on the inside of my Arai. Works a treat. You can breathe as hard as you like and it won't fog up. Needs reapplying about once a week though. Worth it.

Attachments

• rodi_1877_13471629.jpg
    rodi_1877_13471629.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 355
I've been trying this - on the plus side it hasn't done any harm, seemingly.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to work in the slightest either.

The anti-mist they make seems to be as good as the Bob Heath stuff.

Neil W said:
Works great on glass car screens, however, when I've tried it it does not does not seem to work on plastic visors or bike screens

This is my experience too. It does say in the instructions not to use on plastics. It didn't harm the visor I used, it just didn't work on it.

Used it on my shark and arai lids.......no problem with the visor......apart from the shark one got scratched when I fell off at 80 mph but my head didn't so no complaints there

Rain X + Rain X Anti fog wipes

Recently in Halfords and bought some Rain X wipes and Rain X Cleaner with Anti Fog for £3.99.

They are in a plastic tub, that you pull out a wipe from the top.

I've been using them on my System 5 with great results. The Rain X clears the rain and the Anti fog wipe works a treat on the inside of the visor and my glasses! I can now ride in the rain with the visor fully closed.

The plastic pots stay in the panniers ready for when I need to top up.

i used rain-x on my golf gti & the wipers never worked properly again. new blades made no difference. couldn't get the useless stuff off my screen.

I found rainex gave a ripple / shimmer on the visor at night. Worked good on car.

Good old Mr Sheen gets my vote, on the outside of the visor anyway. Used on my Scott goggles as well.

I have tried Rain-X in the past and I was not that impressed with it to be quite honest.

BTBR

cookie said:
i used rain-x on my golf gti & the wipers never worked properly again. new blades made no difference. couldn't get the useless stuff off my screen.
I found exactly the same thing. Unless you are prepared to re-apply the stuff every week, it just causes massive smearing. I tried everything to remove it without success. Great for side windows and mirrors, though. Never tried it on me visor - I just use crystal-glo resin stuff which helps to stop bugs sticking.

Schtum said:
When my son and I use to endurance race a Pro Kart we both used it on our visors. It very effectively ruined the anti-scratch coating on his Shoei visor while my Suomy one was undamaged.

It knackered the coating on my Shoei, then after I was too dumb to test it properly it knacked a Arai as well.... luckily both on their last legs...

the stuff in shoei care kit is good but when it ran out i went back to triple wax car wash to clean the lid then good old mr sheen when its dried works fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom