BBBBBBRRRRR ICELAND AGAIN!

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Just about to book the ferry again for end of May, anyone else thinking of heading there this year? Thought I'd give the Westfjords a look as well as the Westerman Islands! Still ain't got the video onto DVD yet from last years trip! Had an idea of leaving some stuff there this time for any GS travellers, maybe some bits and pieces like spare tyres and clutch and break levers and stuff as they are impossible to get there and just one wee 'fall' could ruin a trip!! Any comments appreciated! What would you leave behind (not including that half bottle of whiskey you didn't drink!)

iceland ferry

Hello there Chris, where do you get the ferry from, and how much does it cost. Also what are the prices like in Iceland. Me and my mate were thinking about a trip there in the summer. You could always leave us £1000 worth of used notes.

Iceland Ferry!

Hi Short001, from Scotland you get the Norlink ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick,Shetland. Then catch the Smyril line ferry to Seydisfjordur,East Iceland calling at the Faroe Isles along the way for a few hours! This ferry is weekly from Shetland but if you are in Germany you could sail Smyril line from Denmark!! The cost for two and one bike with cabin all the way was about £1150 return(ouch!) This year going a few days earlier(Spring timetable) it's £850ish. You could go Couchette Smyril and then sleeping bag on the Norlink boat but my German friends thought this was awfull!! Sailing 27th May, then eight or nine days on Iceland! Early enough for the weather as still lots of roads closed and the gravel is often fresh graded and a bitch to ride on!! Last year I booked at the end of January but had problems getting a cabin!! Call Kathryn at Smyril Line Shetland on 01595 690845!! One week there is not enough! I can't manage more than two weeks away, if you do go stay two or three weeks!! We camped everynight but it was cold at times even by Nordkapp standards and it rains a lot!! Early June seems like late February up here in Scotland! Iceland is a fantastic place and I can't wait to get back there and meet the friends we made!!

The cost!

Fuel is a wee bit more expensive than here, we nearly ran out at one point even with a 30ltr tank. There are card only unmanned stations in some areas and these are not to be missed! Food wasn't as dear as we expected, eating at the filling station cafes, burger and chips was about £7 up to £9 with soup and other stuff available! At Gullfoss soup was £9 and at the Blue Lagoon even more! Best of all was fish or Icelandic lamb available at most cafes and coffee was usually free! Hotels looked dear but this time we will use mainly farm sleeping bag accom. Camping wasn't much and sometimes free and two hot showers a day was nice! Lots of swimming pools and geothermal hot pots to use too! :beerjug:

Iceland

Thanks for that info Chris,
I have been looking on the internet and found a package through Smyril ferries for £790 each which includes 2 nights B & B in the Faroe Islands and 7 nights B & B in Iceland. This was for a car and included a cabin. It sails from Denmark, which would suit us nicely. I have mailed Smyril with my requirements and am waiting for a reply. I'm afraid that we only have around 9 days that we can get away, but 3 weeks away from the wife and kids sounds great!!
The food seems very expensive, so we will be using some good old Army boil in the bag rations now and again.
The big question is, how much is a beer, or what do the locals drink?

Iceland GPS

Great info guys........we're thinking about Iceland for 2007........

Just a smallish point.......of more interest to GPS users.......

I notice that the Garmin 'Atlantic' basemap ends about halfway through Iceland........so that the eastern half is covered but the west completely missing............

I know it's not possible to update the basemap........so how does one get full coverage of Iceland.........?

Cheers

Dutch

Beer in Iceland!!

I was lucky I didn't have to buy any!! My mate Halfstein(Icelandic Biker, very hardy!) Wouldn't drink any of our Scottish stuff unless it was 9% or more!!! So as to cost maybe £4 or £5! :beerjug:

Dutchman, I have just logged Helge Pedersens co-ords for his campsites etc as well as my own from last year! There aren't that many roads and my Quests basemap has the main ones and the towns that we will visit again! It's a pity not to have other stuff like sevice stations and the like but then I've now got about six maps to work with as well. I'm sure I remember some stuff about Iceland GPS last year on this site!

ps That horn is great!! :clap

Back
Top Bottom