Ouch! New loom needed.

On my way to check the off-road route for the Weyhill fair do. 2 miles from home. POP. Smoke from under the tank.
Aren't the fuses supposed to protect the loom?

Attachments

• dsc00006 main loom 1.jpg
    dsc00006 main loom 1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 496
No one likes to see or hear about smoke, pop or sparks from under their tank as people tend to keep petrol in them things :eek:

So is that a net result of heated grips and jacket then H or something altogether more sinister that all us brothers should be aware of - please tell me I haven't got to shell out more money :(

Jeez - not good....

I believe the headlamp circuit on oilheads is unfused (God knows why:confused: ) - perhaps it's the same on your bike....

MikeO:(

No load on the electrics at all.
From initial strip down, I think it is due to chaffing all around the loom. I've found lots of areas that had worn through the insulation, exposing the core. Probably a dead short somewhere. The loom is so fried that it's impossible to tell where.
ALL FUSES INTACT !!!!!!!!!! Very clever BMW. NOT!

judge said:
please tell me I haven't got to shell out more money :(

Sooner or later you'll have to pay out ££££££££.
I've read somewhere about the looms near the head stock being suspect after a few years of abuse.

Mike O said:
Jeez - not good....

I believe the headlamp circuit on oilheads is unfused (God knows why:confused: ) - perhaps it's the same on your bike....

MikeO:(

I don't think it's anything to do with the H/lamp. That was still on and working OK AFTER it all went pear shaped.

there are always some wires in the wiring loom of any vehicle unfused.

on a GS there is a wire from the battery to the fusebox, ignition switch, voltage regulator plus of course big wire to starter solenoid. all unfused.

i think a 1 big assed fuse at the battery would be a good idea.

Loom Fry Up

Had a loom go on my Boxercup after 600miles. It turns out it was a short in the secondary loom for the rear lights.

The fuses don't handle it and when there is smoke surrounding your nobbies then you get off the bike quick.

Took 6 weeks for the fauliens in Berlin to knit me a new one (loom not nobbies!) and a couple of days for the dealer to fix...

Just make sure you check all subsiduary wiring...

Hi Howard

I'm so sorry this happened to you too - I had a similar experience about 18 months ago. My fried loom was because some of the wiring melted on the silencer and all hell broke loose - just like what happened to you. It turns the loom into a huge electrical heater and just melts the insulation away. It's really messy!

My drastic solution was to completly rewire the bike (using the original colour codes on the diagram) - if you've got the time it's worth doing, as it means you can get rid of all the unecessary wiring and connectors that standard looms come with. It also helps with all the extras like grips, FIAMMS, alarms, etc. I replaced and relocated the fusebox from the poxy 3 fuses to about 6 I think... It also means I can easily add and replace wiring as everything is in the slit-wrap stuff, so I can easily pull wires out or slip new ones in.

I guess you'll buy a new or second-hand loom to get the bike back on the road quick? If not then perhaps consider a DIY rewire job. Let me know if you'd like to see how I did mine - at the moment the bike is with Ernie at Overland Solutions, and isn't due back for about a month?

I hope you get it fixed soon.

Bugger

bad luck Howard - its timely as I have noticed a few rather iffy looking cables. I am beginning to wonder whether to keep forking out or just buy a new bike! Still you aren´t the only one having bad luck some bastard stole my wallet half an hour ago.

bob

A little help, please!

I can't find the word loom in my dictionarys. :help

Hug from Liv.:)

Liv,

it's a word used to describe the entire wiring harness on a bike (or a car, for that matter....)

MikeO:)

Spring!

Hello Bob!

Jepp, my igloo has melted, and the grass is green! :bounce1 And I saw a duck in the creek/brook! And blue anemone and wood anemone! And daffodils!
And I finally got the UKGS'er / GSclubUK-calender! :)

There's a Easter-picture of me and my new friend from Berlin in the ''Over Seas''-section.

:) Did you know that the people at the destillery make jelly of Aquavit? Thrue!
Akkevittgelè! And I'm sure it tastes much better then Marmite! :)

Hope you're feelin' fine, Bob, in Spain. Summer all the time, ha?
Your bike do not know what snow is.
Mine has seen it 3 times:
First in the autumn, then twice this spring. Poor thing!
The Road-racing-guys use tyre-warmers on their bikes; perhaps I should get a pair?

But now I hope it's summer soon!
Look at the web-cams at ''Over Seas'' Saturday 17.May, in the morning and noon: It's our National Day; We celebrate it outside; kids eat ice cream, wave their Norwegian flag, and there are music! Ompa-ompa-music!
:pepsi

Hug from Liv.

From what I remember of the Norwegian National Day, eating ice cream is not all the kids do outside.

:gosh :hug :mooney :spl1f: :rolleyes: :blush :grndevil

Iain

p.s. Norwegian National Day - also known as Stamp out Virginity Day!

Iain Hogg said:
From what I remember of the Norwegian National Day, eating ice cream is not all the kids do outside.

:gosh :hug :mooney :spl1f: :rolleyes: :blush :grndevil

Iain

p.s. Norwegian National Day - also known as Stamp out Virginity Day!

:blush

Liv.

Back
Top Bottom