2610 4 button cradle

Brendan

Reaction score
Hi Folks, does anyone know whether there is a fix to allow a 2610 Garmin to interface with the BMW 4 button cradle and allow functionality of the 4 cradle buttons. I know the cradle works fine with a BMW badged unit?

No. The BMW cradle will only work with the BMW GPSRs. Although the BMW and the Garmin GPSRs are very similar, they are internally identified (via software) so that only the BMW one will take advantage of the four buttons on the cradle.

You can put a Garmin one into the cradle, it will fit, but you can't take advantage of the functionality that the buttons provide.

There is no fix or workaround for this. I can assure you that it's not something that could easily be worked around.

Michael

Not sure about with the 2610 (I understand that the remote was a bit less sensitive, but may have gotten fixed in a firmware revision?)

But this works very well for me... with gloves on...

81283298-O.jpg

Al...

Andy Davies said:
Take a loook at this http://www.gps-garmin.nl/perfect_pilot.html as a work around. Send a pm to Dutchman as I think he will be able to supply!

A better alternative I think!

Andy

The Dutch company I bought my 2820 from has these in the store...

I can confirm that they are built well, the buttons click under rubber caps that have the same consistancy as the Garmin ones.

The salesman told me that a new one (that incorporated room for the new garmin connectors), with more features was coming out for the 2820...

Al...

All things considered, I think that the solution that Al and I use (the existing Garmin remote attached to the handlebar somewhere with Velcro) is by far the least expensive and simplest solution.

I have both a BMW Nav III and a 2820 - I use them on alternate days (for testing reasons) - over 90% of the button-pushes I make on the BMW 4 button control are the 'zoom in' and 'zoom out' buttons, and I get exactly the same functionality, speed, and ease of use from the Garmin remote when I am using the 2820.

Not that I am trying to diss the Dutch product - it's just that when you can get the same results for free, using what came in the box, there's not a whole lot of point to paying hundreds of dollars for something extra.

Michael

Just to add a point...

I find that reaching forward to the GPS to make a change a lot less convienient than having the button available at your fingertips...

I was catching my raingear on my clutch cylinder whenever I was wearing it in Norway... This was a major factor in my not spending the extra 150 euros on the gadget... I wanted my zoom (and map) buttons close by...

Al...

This is indeed a very good bit of kit:

D1AC0918-4.JPG

I have been using it for the past few months and I'm quite pleased with it.

You can get it from Waypoint in Holland. Apparently they are building a dealer network.

Cheers,
Michel

Back
Top Bottom