Ohlins or WP rear shock for GSPD?

Airfan

Reaction score
Ive been offered a lightly used WP shock for my new GSPD. Is it a good idea, or would the Ohlins unit be better?.

Thanks

Robin

I've got an Ohlins on mine and my mates got a WP on his - both excellent and much better than original. Get whichever is cheapest.

WP shock

Kenny.
The bottom adjuster on your shock is rebound speed.The one on top is compresion.
Or was that a joke and i missed it . Allways was a bit slow.

Tonyallen

WP - a harsher shock better suited to harder riding/off roading
Ohlins - (which I have) a fluid more balanced ride more suited to road riding.

There are other options too like Technoflex. I'd go for the WP on account it is likely to be a bargian second hand, be even better if its the one with remote (or piggy back) preload

Technoflex

judge said:
WP - a harsher shock better suited to harder riding/off roading
Ohlins - (which I have) a fluid more balanced ride more suited to road riding.

There are other options too like Technoflex. I'd go for the WP on account it is likely to be a bargian second hand, be even better if its the one with remote (or piggy back) preload

Well said Judge :bow , and yes I believe Technoflex are the best of the lot due to manufacture and guarantee.
WP, Ohlins,Fournals and technoflex all use springs and cases from the same source-apparently- but technoflex are totally hand assembled and have a better guarantee.
But a slightly used WP wins the day I reckon :thumb

MATKAT said:
I believe Technoflex are the best of the lot due to manufacture and guarantee.

what is so special about the guarantee? i just checked out their website (rubbish) and they don't mention it. they don't appear to have a uk distributor either.

you also mention fournale + springs. don't they make air shocks? haven't heard anything of them for a while.

Technoflex

Cookie,
DPS racing Keighley is the UK distributor for technoflex Tel. 01535 606200 Andy is the guy who runs it. www.dpsracing.co.uk His background is race bike preperation on/off road.
They sell WP, Ohlins, Technoflex, Wilbers (sorry meant Wilbers not Fournals)etc. Jim Mcflurry, MMM and I visited there last year (on route to coast to Coast) to have my 1200 set up properly front and rear for Sue and I. Loaded and unloaded. The transformation when he had done it was remarkable (ask Dennis :eek: ).........subsequent to that I went back to have a remote pre-load fitted so i could easily tweak the pre-load myself.
I am only echoing his personal opinion as someone who sells and works on all of them. Andy explained to us that they all utilized springs and cases from the same manufacturer but technoflex were internally the best, due to hand assembly, internal components and after sales service..............they were his personal choice too. He was not knocking the others, as they are all good.
On another visit there I was also talking to the guy that runs his machining shop who also echoed his preference that the innards of technoflex were better(hence they are more expensive) even if less known in UK. Apparently a lot of racers use them out of preference in Europe.
In his opinion again, the guarantee was better than the others (see after sales service).
Suffice to say, i'm sure if you asked Mcflurry or MMM if/when they change suspension what they will get..................I bet it's Technoflex :thumb :beer:

If you are going to buy new, ignore this but second hand ohlins can fetch good prices, that doesnt mean that they are in good order. My bike had an ohlin on which hardly worked at all, the preload was seized. the beauty is that they are servicable, at some cost, whilst some cheaper makes are'nt. Trouble is even a knackered one looks ok. :rob

Dead right

pastyman said:
If you are going to buy new, ignore this but second hand ohlins can fetch good prices, that doesnt mean that they are in good order. My bike had an ohlin on which hardly worked at all, the preload was seized. the beauty is that they are servicable, at some cost, whilst some cheaper makes are'nt. Trouble is even a knackered one looks ok. :rob

Absolutely right, and if you talk to the experts at places like DPS racing they will tell you a shock needs servicing every 12 months let alone 5 years depending on the use. :beer:

i'm considering fournale air shock as they might be able to handle a wider load range.

Kenny said:
I only have a bottom adjuster :tears .....I think it must be rebound..although it still shook my teeth out on the last off road sortee !!! :(

Looks like it shock more than your teeth. Your back wheel is gone AWOL, maybe that'd explain the rough ride :D

Ohlins

Airfan said:
Ive been offered a lightly used WP shock for my new GSPD. Is it a good idea, or would the Ohlins unit be better?.

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin,
just fitted a new Ohlin to my GS PD today, and the difference over the standard shock is amazing. I will have to experiment with settings etc. It is a bit of a faff to fit, as you have to carefully grind some corners off the sub-frame around the upper mount and then carefully manipulate it into place.

Regards

Andy B

Back
Top Bottom