Keeping your feet warm

BigAlMacMac

Reaction score
I am a newby rider with a 1200 GS and love the heated grips but am finding I get cold feet. I have decent boots but guess they are summer only and have recently added an inner liner which has increased comfort but only slightly.

So I think I probably need a set of winter boots. Any recommendations.

I ride in Scotland and plan to continue over the winter but not in snow etc. There are some incredibly days in Scotland in the winter when the sky is clear but the tempereature is always cold then.

Cheers

Alan

bigalmac said:
I am a newby rider with a 1200 GS and love the heated grips but am finding I get cold feet. I have decent boots but guess they are summer only and have recently added an inner liner which has increased comfort but only slightly.

I ride in Scotland and plan to continue over the winter but not in snow etc. There are some incredibly days in Scotland in the winter when the sky is clear but the tempereature is always cold then.

Cheers

Alan

Altbergs. :thumb

Get some foot flaps for a start.

Then some decent boots. Toerags keep me warm right down to zero pretty much. Danners after that - if you get cold in them, you are probably going to get stranded on a glacier with a wolly mamouth anyway...

carrier bags- tesco/sainsbury's do nice coloured ones :D :D :D
us boys in the south wear flip flops.

bigalmac said:

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

I had the same trouble, got some Cold Killers. Fantastic, don't feel the cold on my feet

Cheers

Ty

A daft question but do you tuck your trousers into your boots or outside of them? I found my feet were much warmer when I bought a pair of cordura trousers that went over the top rather than leathers that tucked in.

What boots do you have?

Hi Big Lee,

I have been wearing my Fabric suit and have the trousers over my boots which are Greame leather race style boots, look good and loads of support, armour bits. So I am guessing are pretty good boots. I bought them from the guy I bought my bike from hence a bit vague on them.

Cheers

bigalmac said:
I have been wearing my Fabric suit and have the trousers over my boots which are Greame leather race style boots, look good and loads of support, armour bits. So I am guessing are pretty good boots. I bought them from the guy I bought my bike from hence a bit vague on them.
I take it you mean "Gaerne" race boots. Race boots aren't really up to the rigours of a Scottish winter unless they have a Gore-Tex or similar membrane. Even then they're a bit lightweight.

In the days when I was riding my VFR every day through winter, I'd wear my Altberg Clubman Classic boots with two pairs of socks; one pair of Thorlo Winter Mountaineering socks with a wicking polypropylene sock liner underneath.

Nowadays, on the GS, I tend to wear my Sidi Flexforce SRS bootswith only a pair of tesco Walking socks.

The other influence on how cold your feet feel is the temperature of your core. If that drops then the blood supply to your extremities is reduced in favour of your vital organs. So, it pays to think systemically and keep your head and body warm.

bigalmac said:
Hi Big Lee,

Cheers

I have a pair of Gearne race boots & they`re not up to much keeping feet warm :nono I`ve also got a pair of Gore tex Daytona boots & although expensive are very good when worn with a couple of pair of socks underneath :thumb both keeping my feet warm & dry :D
As Schtum says keeping your core warm is an important part of making life more comfortable/safer in winter so investing in a heated vest is money well spent as unlike the heated grips you can have it on every bike you get. I wish I`d bought one years ago. Mines a Klan one BTW :thumb

I used to do a lot of winter climbing in Scotland so am well up to speed on a warm core means warm extremities. I never suffered from cold feet, even standing still on one belay for two hours while being blasted by spindrift. So find it quite surprising to have had cold feet in relatively mild conditions, even with plenty of gear up top. So I guess it is just down to lack of insulation in the boots and lack of windproof liner.

I am off to Hienz Geinke (even more dodgy spelling) tomorrow to have a look see.

Cheers

Alan

I have just bought a pair of HG Ralleye (Goretex liner £140) boots because they fitted the best and looked the best.

A boot often mentioned was the Tuareg which is no longer made by HG, or at least not sold in the UK

It is incredibly wet in Scotland just now so will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Alan

How are those new boots then Alan? Keeping your toes nice & warm & dry.

The boots are really good.

I wore them on my trip around the north of Scotland recently, see...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90204

It was very absolutely soaking for about 4 hours riding and my feet did not get wet. I am not so sure about warm though. I had on a pair of thin wicking socks a pair of ski socks and a pair of "cold away" sock membrane thingys. My feet never got numb but were never toasty either. Maybe I am asking too much.

BTW I said that the Tuareg boots are not sold in the UK. That is correct HG sell them as Rallye, but if you look closely the boots have Tuareg stictched into them.

Cheers

Alan

Back
Top Bottom