Which GPS to replace broken 2610

rdover

Reaction score
I have been putting off the inevitable. My 2610 has developed a terminal fault (as well a broken screen) in that it 'loses' maps, fails to recalculate and switches itself off irrationally and then has no memory. This is all foxable but for more than a new one, however if I'm getting a new one why not consider upgrading.

Question. Which GPS. I have a new MC garmin mount etc so a 2720 28xx may be appropriate but what of the others? Anyone abe to explain the merits of on v the other and as I can get a new 2610 for ~£170 are the others (with POI capability) worth the extra.

BTW I get a HUGE amount of use out of mine so I'm willing to spend the cash - it save me hours and hours getting to appointments.

Richard

easy one

2610 around £180 new, fits in the mount, 1 year warranty, mapsource 8 poss even 9. 2720 and 2820 both much better, fit in same mount, uses same lead but £550-£650 with a better screen, faster and the all important full post code search. tomtom rider, great unit poor mount, but you can get a t/tech mount for £55 ish or a strap for £10. riders are only £235 at the moment for the uk map model. Or how about a zumo around £500, inc mapsource 9, thats about it really :thumb

But i`m using a nuvi 660 not waterproof but a fantastic bit of kit for the car, ok on the bike, but no audio output

Which of the Garmin ones can you upload POIs? It looks like the 2610 can't.

Of course as I only have mapsource v7 and the upgrade is over £100, I could accept that £180 for a new 2610 as a direct replacement include an upgrade to V9 as well as a foxed unit- cheap!

Replacement 2610

Agree with Nick - just done the same as you are planning - got a new 2610 for £143 + VAT inc. a Garmin Case - shame Blokestuff.com has sold out (no suprise there!). It was going to cost somewhere in the £80 region to update my old Mapsource!

For this sort of price, the 2610 with the latest software is the way to go.

If you have at least twice this amount to spend, as Nick said, the higher end Garmins are great, but not twice as good!

Cheers, Rick.

Thanks Rick
The only thing I'd like extra is the ability to upload POIs, however I can live without that for much cheapness!

Forgot to ask - are the newer version (V8, V9) much better?

Last edited:
Why not get Garmin to fix your existing 2610?
I send them mine recently, well out of warranty period, the screen was faulty. They sent me a brand spanking new one by return of post, no charge!

I spoke to them and they told me £180 plus carriage to fix it! Mine is over 3 years old. It should ahve lasted longer but it's had a few spills including falling out the windscreen of my truck and being run over by a Suzuki kit car.

I've got a new 2720 and perfect pilot cradle coming next week. Expensive but as it is a work purchase I get the vat back and it saves me so much time it's worth every penny. Getting lost could cost me contracts!

Back
Top Bottom