Trying to keep the weight down

kiwiAdventure

Reaction score
I've fitted the Wunderlich carbon protect head protectors. The BMW plastic protectors are useless. I don't like adding weight to a heavy bike so no bars.

DSC02028.jpg

Nice.
So how much gap is there between the protectors and the covers?
Could we have a photo of the underside?

I'm not too happy with my TT protectors - they damaged my cylinder head in a fall. Might look at these as an alternative.

Anyone crashed with these?:p

protectors

guys, i bought the wunderlich bars the other day as i have mentioned. The only reason i did is that their is nothing else out there that is going to protect the heads. The oem black guards come off if you stack it hard enough, but work fine under 15 kmh and at 30 plus they are history. I cannot see the carbon things being as good as bars but yes they will keep the weight down but in the end you will wear through them and your tappet cover in a stack. The replacement cover is 150 bucks and im sure these bars will be an investment insofar as not replacing these again. Plus im sure i will throw it around in the dirt more confidently, hence more fun....just a thought

guys, i bought the wunderlich bars the other day as i have mentioned. The only reason i did is that their is nothing else out there that is going to protect the heads. The oem black guards come off if you stack it hard enough, but work fine under 15 kmh and at 30 plus they are history. I cannot see the carbon things being as good as bars but yes they will keep the weight down but in the end you will wear through them and your tappet cover in a stack. The replacement cover is 150 bucks and im sure these bars will be an investment insofar as not replacing these again. Plus im sure i will throw it around in the dirt more confidently, hence more fun....just a thought

If I come off that hard and wore through the carbon fibre guards the bike would be toast as well. The thing I'm protecting the engine is from rocks and the side of dirt bank. No bars will stop a rock punching a hole in the tappet cover and then you are stuck. The tappet covers are very light weight aluminium.
I have insurance to pay for damage.

Nice.
So how much gap is there between the protectors and the covers?
Could we have a photo of the underside?

I'm not too happy with my TT protectors - they damaged my cylinder head in a fall. Might look at these as an alternative.

Anyone crashed with these?:p

They are hard against and fit great as the photos show.
DSC02045.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

BMW offroad school guys tried out various types of protection, the carbon fibre boxer cup race protectors worked best

Well having thrown my HP down the road with the Wunderlich bars on at about 30mph and watching it slide about 300 meters I can tell you that the bars do work, the bike jumped the curb before stopping and the only damage to the bike were the bars being half worm though (yes half way through the hardened steel engine bars so any head protectors wouldn't have lasted the distance) and they gave protection to lift the bike over the curb without ripping the head clean off.

As I couldn't get hold of replacement Wunderlich bars I've now got the Touratech ones fitted, I think having had good look now at both there is nothing to really choose between them.

I would recommend the R&G crash bungs for the swing arm, front forks and exhaust can. With these the only scratched item on the bike was one hand protector, very cheap to replace.

Well having thrown my HP down the road with the Wunderlich bars on at about 30mph and watching it slide about 300 meters I can tell you that the bars do work, the bike jumped the curb before stopping and the only damage to the bike were the bars being half worm though (yes half way through the hardened steel engine bars so any head protectors wouldn't have lasted the distance) and they gave protection to lift the bike over the curb without ripping the head clean off.

As I couldn't get hold of replacement Wunderlich bars I've now got the Touratech ones fitted, I think having had good look now at both there is nothing to really choose between them.

I would recommend the R&G crash bungs for the swing arm, front forks and exhaust can. With these the only scratched item on the bike was one hand protector, very cheap to replace.

You have tested the head protectors then:bounce1 .
I'm not interest in dropping the bike at 50kph on the road.:nenau The guards are for off road riding and dropping the bike on the tracks.:rolleyes: I have an RT for on road and I don't have bars on that. I don't like the look off the things.:cool:

Crikey Kiwi, you are posh, having skirting boards in your garage. Or is that the front room?
Well jealous if the bike is allowed inside.

Dropped the bike on wet slimey roads on the way back from off roading..... so very glad the bars where on there..... but I agree you either love or hate the look of them, I do think the Touratech ones win on the looks front.

I'll post some pics of the new ones for you all at the weekend.

protectors

well i dropped mine in the pyrenese and the oem did the job off taking the initial impact and then the cover itself was scratched to buggery. I also wrecked the rear blinker ( twice now) and scratched the hell out of the hub and bar end. All in all i think the bm did well and started easy when picked up. That said, each to their own, for me its bars if u want to ride it hard and stack it if occurs but still be able to ride the thing home. Hey kiwi would love to come over for a ride and a holiday. Le the ADV mob know when your next ride is so we can put something together.

where can i get some from in the uk and how much?
From the Wunderlich site:

UK Wunderlich Dealers

Rainbow Motorcycles Ltd
Alma Road
Rotherham
S60 2HZ
Tel: 01709 835917
www.rainbow.co.uk

BMWBikeBits.co.uk
Unit 16,
Enterprise Estate,
Moorfield Road,
Surrey,GU1 1RB
Tel: 01483 456770
www.bmwbikebits.co.uk
Clarks Motorcycles
Lickey Road
Rednal
Birmingham B45 8UU
Tel: 0121 453 3117
Fax: 0121 453 0278
www.clarksbmwbikes.co.uk

Nippy Normans Ltd
Tel: 01626-830458
Fax: 01626-830459
www.nippynormans.com

I will be interested to see how the carbon gaurds last off road, at the moment i am still running the stock plastic ones but thet are just about shot now, the covers are pretty scratched up, was thinking about the alloy bmw ones, i always ride with a "bmw head condom" and a tube of quickmetal just in case.
The carbon ones look neat though.....keep us posted once they are field tested please.:thumb

From the Wunderlich site:

UK Wunderlich Dealers

Rainbow Motorcycles Ltd
Alma Road
Rotherham
S60 2HZ
Tel: 01709 835917
www.rainbow.co.uk

BMWBikeBits.co.uk
Unit 16,
Enterprise Estate,
Moorfield Road,
Surrey,GU1 1RB
Tel: 01483 456770
www.bmwbikebits.co.uk
Clarks Motorcycles
Lickey Road
Rednal
Birmingham B45 8UU
Tel: 0121 453 3117
Fax: 0121 453 0278
www.clarksbmwbikes.co.uk

Nippy Normans Ltd
Tel: 01626-830458
Fax: 01626-830459
www.nippynormans.com
Cheers for thst could'nt find them on nippy normans but found them on bike bits:D £250:eek: :eek:

think i will see how much they are in the states:) :)

well i dropped mine in the pyrenese and the oem did the job off taking the initial impact and then the cover itself was scratched to buggery. I also wrecked the rear blinker ( twice now) and scratched the hell out of the hub and bar end. All in all i think the bm did well and started easy when picked up. That said, each to their own, for me its bars if u want to ride it hard and stack it if occurs but still be able to ride the thing home. Hey kiwi would love to come over for a ride and a holiday. Le the ADV mob know when your next ride is so we can put something together.

I have a three day adventure ride down the bottom of the South Island see attached.
http://www.nzadventures.co.nz/part1.html

Back
Top Bottom