I suppose it had to happen....dropped the bike.

earthmover

opinionated, me?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
And damaged it.:eek::mad:

So, settle down for a tale of complete muppetry....

I was hoping to join Rushy, Zapada and Pipster for a bimble around N Wales, but kids and ex-wife conspired against that, couldn't get free until 10.30.
So plan B was to take the g/f for a spin to The Cat and Fiddle for a brew, calling in at Cheshire salvage on the way for a fuel tap for the Yamaha Chappy. The diaphragm on it's vacuum fuel tap is ferked, and I haven't been able to find a replacement.
Denise couldn't get off work until 12.00, and then had no-one to look after her son, so I decided to go on my own, and meet her later.
Pulled in at Cheshire salvage where there was nowhere to park, so backed the bike between a pick up and a large trailer. The ground was sloping, but I had been on worse. Puts the side stand down, while watching two blokes struggling to put an Aprilla on a trailer, slid off the seat without concentrating, suspension unloads just enough to overbalance the other way from where I am stood (now on one leg!) and smashes into the tow-ball of the trailer.:eek:
One of the blokes runs over to help me right the bike, which is pouring fuel from the right hand injector body.:eek::eek:
Further investigation reveals that the tow-ball has punched the injector, thus rotating the throttle body by a few degrees, and smashing the housing that the cable fastens into.
"Hang on a minute", says helpful bloke, and disappears into the workshop, re-emerging with a complete injector assembly!
"Kin ell" says I, "That was quick!"
"I only took it off this morning" he replied, "must have known you were coming!"
The bike would run, but the tickover was very lumpy.

216755203-M.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from here does it?

216755221-M.jpg

Some bits removed for better view. Look where the cable goes.

216755249-M.jpg

Now you can see it more clearly.

216755257-M.jpg

Top view.

Martin (very helpful bloke :bow) and I ponder over the prospect of trying to fix it where it is, but after a but of jiggling about I manage to get all the broken bits in roughly the right place. Started up the bike now runs sweetly enough, so I decide it would be better for me to attempt this in the comfort of my own garage. Because we can't decide on which bits will be needed, Martin suggests that I take the lot, and bring back what I don't need. This I do, and despite BMW's own design hose clamps (which are a ba**ard to undo) and tamper-proof torx screws on my throttle (not on the donor one :confused:) I managed to get it fixed up by 5.00pm. Took it for a test run, and everything seems to be fine.
So, I am a muppet, and Cheshire salvage are top class.
I thank you.
Mark

Last edited:
Last edited by earthmover : Today at 20:11. Reason: missed a digit

Actually, we never see your right hand at all.

Back
Top Bottom