How Come???

"He said Bothwell had been off work for eight months suffering from depression, and would have to face an internal disciplinary enquiry at Grampian Police in addition to any penalty the court imposed."

there you go....he'll more than likely lose his job.....harsher than any points on your licence.......:(

Been a cop for 30 years (well foiur weeks short) and I have these observations;

Police officers are generally trained to a considerably higher standard than other motorists and (should) practice their skills whilst at work. They also cover more than the average mileage.

My position is that if an officer is travelling at those speeds, in light traffic, on a dual carriageway during daylight, he is more likely to be taking proper observations, plannign his drive and making concessions for other road users.

However, if the officer is not applying total concentration to the task of driving he would not be preforming to the level required for those speeds. The officer in question was suffering depression and was angry, two reasons why his levels of attention would have been below that required for those speeds.

Why was he not disqualified, as per the sentencing advice issued by the government? Goodness only knows.

A police officer suffers twice when invovled with the courts. He has been fined and had six points (a 3 or 6 month ban would ahve been more appropriate). He also faces discipline which could cost him his job. Equating to a fine of around £30,000 per year left of service.

Admittedly he could put forward a case for being ill and may retain his job. After all, there are a numebr of police officers in my ken who have served their time without evere having a licence.

To say that he knew the risks to his licence and livelyhood may be fair for someone with the mindset to think his actions through, but it would appear that this officer was not thinking clearly at the time of the offence.

I think he should have been banned. He should be taken off any driving duties for the duration of his ban (control room, admin, whatever) and should be cautioned or conselled by his force.

That's my thoughts.

I ahve had 3 points for speeding during my service. I got them because I was not particularly paying attention to a road I knew well and I forgot about the fixed speed camera. I learned my lesson and now pay attention to where the cameras are. Me, speed? Err.........

"He said Bothwell had been off work for eight months suffering from depression, and would have to face an internal disciplinary enquiry at Grampian Police in addition to any penalty the court imposed."

there you go....he'll more than likely lose his job.....harsher than any points on your licence.......:(

Lose his job for a driving offence? :confused: I'd be very surprised at that.

I don't see why anyone should get a ban for excess speed if the conditions or driving manner were not dangerous.

It's the enemies of common sense (greenies, brake, transport 2000) who are driving this agenda. Don't let them win by condoning this.

I don't see why anyone should get a ban for excess speed if the conditions or driving manner were not dangerous.

It's the enemies of common sense (greenies, brake, transport 2000) who are driving this agenda. Don't let them win by condoning this.

You are absolutely correct. The quote from the IAM employee has really wound me up, not least because I'm an IAM member myself.

Neil Greig, assistant director of the IAM Motoring Trust, said the fact that the officer was upset made the offence more serious, not less. (OK, No argument there)

He said: "It does seem surprising that in a case like this that a ban wasn't considered.

"There's no excuse for driving at this sort of speed, and the excuse offered is one that doesn't really cut much ice. (Nonsense, the only reason many people don't drive at that speed is the enforcement of governement dictats originally introduced as a knee jerk reaction to a fuel crisis and never repealed)

"It's a dangerous speed for to be going at for anybody, (That is absolute garbage. If our speed limits weren't so draconian an awful lot of us would be driving legally at these speeds regularly) and perhaps even more so because of the fact he was going at this high speed while under psychological pressure and perhaps not concentrating on his driving."
(Accepted)

I'm sure that an awful lot of people, (maybe even one or two on this site though never me of course), travel in excess of thoose speeds regularly, almost as a matter of course and in complete safety.

Speed is only dangerous when it is inappropriate for the prevailing conditions. Of course that does include the mental state of the person driving.

I had a hired a Merc in Germany in September and drove on the unrestricted A5 Autobahn at speeds of between 100 and nearly 150 mph. Miraculously, I didn't kill myself nor did I witness anyone else who was travelling at similar speeds being invloved in serious or fatal accidents. Mind you, two lanes of the A5 are about the width of three lanes of any motorway over here and the surface is excellent.

having been a cop for thirty one years,recently retired,i would say it is most unlikely he will lose his job.
he will probably continue to be off on the sick,eventually come back,times have moved on,people have forgotten/do not care.get a move as a punishment.remain there for one year apply for the traffic dept,accepted eventually promoted and becomes an instructor.
:hide
no i am not bitter

there are in my personal experience huge numbers of drivers that dont have even the most remote awareness of even what is going on right round about them never mind being able to read a road at significant speed :augie

In his thirties, and signed off eight months with depression with the distinct hint of months and months more?

For feck's sake..... only in the public sector....... but then, it's all tax payers' money paying for it and they can just keep going back to the Taxpayer Money Tree for more as they need it.

Next thing you know he'll be invalided out with a monster cheque and index-linked deferred pension. :mad:

....My only point is that, that if this was Joe Public who had got caught, what would have happened???

....I seem to recall two bikers getting 12/18months for blasting down an empty dual carriage way, on nice day.

...No doubt these guys lost their jobs/licence.

In his thirties, and signed off eight months with depression with the distinct hint of months and months more?

For feck's sake..... only in the public sector....... but then, it's all tax payers' money paying for it and they can just keep going back to the Taxpayer Money Tree for more as they need it.

Next thing you know he'll be invalided out with a monster cheque and index-linked deferred pension. :mad:

It is scandalous the amount of time people in the public sector take of as sick and certain positions milk it religously.
I don't know how these folk have the cheek to collect their wages. I know some will be genuinly sick but depression for 7 months and thats not uncommon ...ffs we all go on a downer now and again but working is what puts a roof over your head and feeds the family... They need to be in the work place getting back to normal not at home watching bargain hunt:blagblah:blagblah

Back
Top Bottom