G1150PS mount

I really like how that mount looks. Does it move around or vibrate when you ride over very rough terrain (fire roads, single track, etc.)? Also, could you let me know how to go about buying one of these and having it shipped to the US?

Thanks!

Marc

Marc said:
I really like how that mount looks. Does it move around or vibrate when you ride over very rough terrain (fire roads, single track, etc.)? Also, could you let me know how to go about buying one of these and having it shipped to the US?

Thanks!

Marc
Hi Marc, get your answers and your mount direct from Migsel by e-mailing him. He has already shipped units to the States so no probs, you may even find a price to ship on the Adv Rider site.

Yes it does

Marc said:
Does it move around or vibrate when you ride over very rough terrain (fire roads, single track, etc.)?
Thanks!

Marc

Marc

I've got 1, and yes it vibrates and wobbles around when on UK A roads.

But, it is a fantastic idea of MiGSels, and very well made.
I'm going to stick with it because using it puts the SPIII exactly where it should be for easy viewing.
Papa Lazarou is right though it's a bit of a reach to the control buttons, but I can live with that as well.

Regards

Tim

Papa Lazarou said:
But have you tried to either zoom in cancel route show/hide tabs or select an item whilst gloved and on the move ( Safe mode off of course )

OK, a bit of an update from me.......after over a 1000 miles of use on Motorways to single track roads.......

I can reach and do as above (with safe mode off), but then I have a reach of an Orang......:D

Using the 3" Ram arm mount and positioned dead centre as in the photos I posted above, it did indeed wobble around. I expected it to due to the increased length over the arm MiGSel was using..............

So, as an experiment, I moved it right to the nearside of the Dash over towards the Rev counter and this has reduced the movement, a lot ! Not all together as the Dash moves anyway, but it is a vast improvement IMHO.......

It is, as said earlier, in the right place for viewing, so I am more than happy with the whole thing.......Like most great Ideas Beautifully Simply yet very effect........wish I'd thought of it.......;)

CC

:cool:

I have one of these mounts I am using a 1"1/2 ram mount arm
at this time no complaints brill idea migsel
like Ned it sits the GPS in the right spot to see the screen

as for touching the buttons no problems as yet :D

As mentioned before, the 1"3/4 RAM arm is better with regard to restricting movement of the unit. The smaller the lever, the smaller the movements. The dash itself moves in its rubber mounts, so that movement is "amplified" by the RAM arm.

For heavy duty off-road use, I do think a vibration damped Touratech mount on the handlebars is better.

As for reaching the buttons, my arms are not very long, I'm 5'9" all togeter, and I don't have a problem. So I don't think that's much of an issue. :) I do try not to fiddle with the gps buttons much while riding anyway.

The whole setup certainly is safer than the handlebar mount, because you hardly take your eyes off the road to look at the screen.

Cheers,
Michel

Mine just arrived today, Michel - I've just fitted it & I'm very impressed - much more substantial than I was expecting. Unfortunately, the muppets at GPSCity.com sent me the wrong arm (1.5" ball!) - so I'm stuck with the standard arm for now - also picked up my Navigator II today, so I'm busy trying to route power cables etc for the next day or so...:p

Many thanks for acting as Postmistress, Matron - that's another one I owe you...;)

Mike:)

will this work on an 1100GS? or thoughts of doing one if it doesn't

judge said:
Hi Marc, get your answers and your mount direct from Migsel by e-mailing him. He has already shipped units to the States so no probs, you may even find a price to ship on the Adv Rider site.
Thanks guys! I've found a source for those mounts "over here" for $29.95 (inc'l shipping). What a deal! Just like fuel here!

3583845-M.jpg

Only kidding. ;) They're full retail, but I can get it in three business days!

Thanks again for the info.

Marc

RocketJohn said:
will this work on an 1100GS? or thoughts of doing one if it doesn't
Yes it does work on the 1100. I have a few pics of it, I'll post them later.
Cheers,
Michel

Does it wobble about?

Ned are you using the small or medium size RAM arm?

If you are using the SP III on a long arm and it is positioned well forward (like CC had on his bike). Then this will wobble a bit more as the weight of the unit stuck out from the vertical plain of the dash has no place to go, so it wobbles. If it was mounted straight above the speedo (like MiGSel's) then all the weight is going through the top of the mount and being distributed more through the dash. This set up especially with the shorter arm will reduce the wobble.
More so with the 2610 which must be lighter than the SP III?

I use the medium size arm with an SP III which sits right above the speedo (so most of the weight goes down through the dash). I am able to do this with my set up as I have my screen quite high using 'Tobinators'. And my RAM ball is located at the side of the mount not at the top as on MiGSel's.
As CC found by moving his unit to over the rev counter it reduced his wobble.

Still get a bit of wobble when going over our well maintained A/B Roads (LOL). Fine on motorways and well made major roads.

Agree with Michel re off-road or dirt tracks - use the ram mount on the handle bars with a Toura T mount.

Regards.

Tazwick
:kitty

tazwick said:
Does it wobble about?

Ned are you using the small or medium size RAM arm?

Regards.

Tazwick
:kitty

Hi Tazwick

I've been using the small (approx 1 3/4" centre to centre) RAM mount.
Agree moving the SP around a little, over rev counter, has reduced "wobble" a little.
I've since fitted a MRA Vario screen, and with its current setting its difficult to accomadate the SP above the dials etc.
More testing required.

Regards

Tim

Here's some info on the RAM parts and Garmin / RAM cradles you need for mounting a StreetPilot 2610 on "my" mount, with part numbers and pics. I just sent the info in a mail message to somebody, but it thought it might be useful if I posted it here, for everybody to see.

The 1" ball comes with the mount.

01RAMball.jpg

What else do you need?

1) A RAM arm

RAM-B-201A Double socket short arm for 1" size ball, 1 3/4" centres

02RAMarm.jpg

2) A cradle to hold the unit

The Garmin and RAM cradles both have their pros and cons. Personally I prefer the RAM cradle. It has a firmer grip on the unit, and it is easier to take the unit out.

The Garmin cradle is smaller and it has a security screw that offers a bit of theft protection. But that means a bit more of an effort for you to take the unit off too.

2a) For the Garmin motorcycle mount:
* RAM-B-202 2 1/2" Diameter Base with 1" Ball and screw.
* 10495-01 Garmin motorcycle mount

03aGARMINcradle.jpg
03bGARMINfront.jpg
03cGARMINback.jpg

OR

2b) For the RAM motorcycle mount:
* RAM-B-238 Diamond base with ball 1"
* RAM-HOL-GA9U NPI RAM Plastic StreetPilot 2610/2620/2650 Unit Cradle

04aRAMcradle.jpg
04bRAMfront.jpg
04cRAMback.jpg

3) A cable

Here you have the choice between the motorcycle cable and the car cable.

3a) 10495-02 Power/Audio Cable (bare wire power cable with 2.5mm audio jack)
You can get the "ready made" motorcycle cable that has bare ends for power, an inline fuse and a 2.5mm audio jack.

010-10495-02.jpg

OR

3b) 10477-01 Cigarette lighter adapter w/speaker

Cut off and have power and audio connections under the tank. You'll have to add an inline fuse (0.5 A) yourself.

010-10477-01.jpg

That's about it. The choice is up to you. What I'm using is 1) + 2b) + 3b).

Cheers,
Michel

RAM sp 2610 Cradle

Does anyone know where I can buy the RAM cradle shown above? Part number RAM-HOL-GA9U, can only find it listed on a USA site. All the other parts are listed on GPS Warehouse site.

Cheers

Ade

Migsel, please send me details of how to order/pay for a mount.

Thanks,

Ian

Re: RAM sp 2610 Cradle

Adrian Waller said:
Does anyone know where I can buy the RAM cradle shown above? Part number RAM-HOL-GA9U, can only find it listed on a USA site. All the other parts are listed on GPS Warehouse site.
Ade, that part number is the one I got for ordering mine in the States. I have noticed that they have slightly different part numbers here sometimes. Maybe it's better to do a search for the description rather than the part no.

They were quite a bit cheaper in the States than in Belgium when I ordered mine. If you want the lot, with other RAM stuff and maybe Garmin accessories, it may be worth ordering over there.

Cheers,
Michel

Helpful as ever Michel

Took a while but now found the RAM Cradle @ GPS Warehouse - part number is RAM-HOL-GA9. As you say you bought your's from the States that's probably why there's a U on the end of the part number.

BTW gps warehouse say they'll TRY to match prices, has anyone tried them for a SP2610 against Sportextremes price? I shall on Monday anyway - worth a go;)

Ade

Got the jist of all the threads regarding the GSA Garmin 2610 mount - looks great.

How can I get one though, pronto?

Charlie

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom