Whats wrong with Harley Davidson Riders

Couldn't give a toss about waving or otherwise. What did slightly wind me up was what I saw on Sunday. I was opposite a petrol station on the A52, a fast single carriageway road.

A big group of HD's had all just filled up, full on badass gear, lots with pillions perched on the back. They all amassed together to turn left out of the station. First guy with a hi-vis vest on pulls out, a lorry is about 100 yards away coming down the A52 on his right. Not a problem as he's got plenty of time to get up to speed in front of it.

You can guess what happens next though, every one of the others, at least ten bikes pull out after their Road Captain, some not even looking right, down the road. The lorry and the cars behind him slowed right down to the point that he nearly stopped outside the the station to let the last bike out, another hi-viz wearer, tail end captain?.

Not a wave of thanks or apology to the lorry driver from one of the riders.

:nenau

Try riding in the US. More or less everyone waves or nods to acknowlege other riders - even from the other side of the Interstate.

The only people who don't are the 'sportsbike' riders who, on the whole, don't have a clue how to ride a sportsbike, and are crouched so low over their tanks, in order to tuck their head behind the screen, that they can't see anything except the back of the car in front! :eek:

Though I probably wouldn't try waving to the Hells Angels over there either.

Definition of boredom, finding a great road like Bear Tooth Pass, Montana, and getting stuck behind a Harley Rally: 20-30 bikes travelling at 20-30mph because they aren't used to "twisties". And, no, they won't let you in, if you try to pass ...

Did you know that 90% of all Harley Davidson's ever made are still on the road???

The other 10% eventually made it home :jes:jes

I've met a few HD and similar styled riders down here where I live and they have been really nice people to talk to, not had a prob myself, I will talk to anyone on two wheels, in fact I will talk to anyone :D

Couldn't give a toss about waving or otherwise. What did slightly wind me up was what I saw on Sunday. I was opposite a petrol station on the A52, a fast single carriageway road.

A big group of HD's had all just filled up, full on badass gear, lots with pillions perched on the back. They all amassed together to turn left out of the station. First guy with a hi-vis vest on pulls out, a lorry is about 100 yards away coming down the A52 on his right. Not a problem as he's got plenty of time to get up to speed in front of it.

You can guess what happens next though, every one of the others, at least ten bikes pull out after their Road Captain, some not even looking right, down the road. The lorry and the cars behind him slowed right down to the point that he nearly stopped outside the the station to let the last bike out, another hi-viz wearer, tail end captain?.

Not a wave of thanks or apology to the lorry driver from one of the riders.

:nenau

This is exactly what made me ask you lot the question - what on earth led all of them to think this is perfectly ok to do this on a road with out a second thought for anyone else :eek:

I've got a T shirt with >>>>

GOD RIDES A HARLEY DAVIDSON on the front...

On the back it's >>>

BUT HE'S JOINED THE RAC

Some HD riders hurled abuse at me after reading it :):ymca

I didn't care :augie.

"If I had wanted to make a life long career out of working with the mentally retarded, I would have either gone into Special Ed or opened up a Harley-Davidson dealership..."

Stereotypes and preconceptions

Well I was out earlier this evening with my wife. I was on a Harley she was on her GS. I nodded at a guy on a GS. He ignored me....or maybe the sun was in his eyes....he was riding west.

What a load of b******s this thread is.

But, I generally nod or wave at all bikers, pizza delivery riders included, and I have to say that when I'm on a BMW I get more acknowledgements than when I'm on a Harley. Incidentally I've been riding both all year round for donkeys years.

Here's a pic' of my favourite T shirt. I've worn it to BMW and HD type occasions and it works for both! Tells you something!

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 351
An Ex friend of mine bought a HD after going somewhere 'flash' on his Holidays!!:eek: ( they were riding Bad Ass - in flip flops and bandanas!!) he had'nt rode a bike for 20 odd years.

Took his DynoRod to a "Hog Meet" 26 miles from where he lives, his wife followed in the car, with all the gear ...... she even took the 'Master Blaster' air blower thing so he could dry the bike off after the Sunday ride out :ymca

Says of the local chapter ... "very nearly all the members are seriously 'minted' - Doctors, Dentists,Solicitors and the like"

I told him he had become a proper f*ckin' snob - we have'nt spoken since..:augie

p.s

I know its Dyna Rod ... but DynoRod fits just nice .... its Sh!t :D

Aren't we all 'bikers' together? :blast

I'm a lot of things but not keen on being labeled a biker. Just because the knobs I saw on Sunday ride a vehicle on two wheels doesn't mean for one moment that I want to be lumped 'together' with them.

On the back it's >>>
BUT HE'S JOINED THE RAC

That's nuts. Again, nothing to do with the many American HD riders we know, who all joke about their (traditionally) unreliable bikes. The one we hear most often is that "all HD riders have a friend with a trailer ..."! Shame some of those British HD owners, don't go the whole Hog :augie and take a trip in the US. They might actually enjoy it. On second thoughts, no, silly me. :blast The whole point seems to be owning an American icon, not actually riding it anywhere!

On the back it's >>>

BUT HE'S JOINED THE RAC

I didn't care :augie.

"If I had wanted to make a life long career out of working with the mentally retarded, I would have either gone into Special Ed or opened up a Harley-Davidson dealership..."

The second part is probably true ...but i'm suspecting that the first part should be changed to 1200GS

seriously - i think they are getting a name for becoming the most unreliable bikes for the price (- so the chinese ones are probaly more unreliable - but at 1/100 the price )

harleys are pretty damn reliable these days

You've not got it - I've have a GS and a H-D fat Boy - thing is when out on the H-D I have to get into character - that means no waving like a pussy - I'm so cool that I cannot ever ever wave - on the GS I allways wave at H-D riders just to annoy them.

Back
Top Bottom