Can anyone recommend a 125cc bike for a tall person?

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

my girlfriend is looking to learn to ride and take her test. She did her part 1 years ago, but it's lapsed. I'd suggested getting an F650 and doing direct access but she'd rather get a 125 first and just get used to riding to work and back without the worry of a bigger bike and learn on her own time rather than signing up for several weekends of direct access course.

Now, she's 5'11" so a lot of bikes just feel very small. I'm thinking a second hand trials type bike. Don't want to buy new, just something to potter around on going to work and back and so I can follow her at the weekends, going out together. Many years ago I used to run a weekend training center for the old Star Rider scheme so reckon I can give her some decent tuition and follow her round to keep her under observation.

Ultimately she wants a 650 Dakar, but doesn't want to start on it. So what would people suggest as a reasonable sized budget 125 that she can keep for a few months, pass her test and learn to ride.

Cheers,

Justin.

have you thought about a honda xr 125 ? iam 6 ft 1 .use as a winter hack fits fine:D

Maybe a bit too bonkers, what about a KTM125EXC, definately tall and they're flying machines off road. If she doesn't like it you can always keep it for yourself!!

Maybe a bit too bonkers, what about a KTM125EXC, definately tall and they're flying machines off road. If she doesn't like it you can always keep it for yourself!!

A KTM125EXC develops more than 11kw (14.74hp) of power, so rendering it illegal for learner to use on provisional licence.
Also, the power delivery is absolutely useless for learning on, hill starts and u-turn would be very difficult.
A 125cc four stroke are the easiest bikes for control during these manoeuvres..... XR125, DR125, XT125, etc.

Timpo.

AN old Yamaha SR125 would do the job. Although they are not big physically there is plenty of clearance for long legged riders when the handlebars are getting close to full lock, something that is a problem for long legged riders on Honda CG125's. Not so sure about the Honda Varadero as they are pretty pricey new (£4300) and I suspect second hand prices will be high as well.

I'm 6" 3 and my first bike was a Kawasaki KMX 125
KMX125.jpg

and my second a Suzuki TSR 125

TSR125.jpg

both bikes I found to be good for me and should be cheap on the second hand market so she wouldn't have to worry about it. I like the KMX better out of the two but the TSR was taller. :D

A KTM125EXC develops more than 11kw (14.74hp) of power, so rendering it illegal for learner to use on provisional licence.
Also, the power delivery is absolutely useless for learning on, hill starts and u-turn would be very difficult.
A 125cc four stroke are the easiest bikes for control during these manoeuvres..... XR125, DR125, XT125, etc.

Timpo.

My 'tongue in cheek' suggestion obviously got lost in the translation:D; thank you for the lecture.......... I mean explanation:thumb

trained a good few 'vertically enhanced' Riders.
the Varadero is probably the best - but many of the suggestions so far are good - i.e; easy to get to grips with :thumb .
only reservation would be the 2 strokes can tend to be 'peaky' in power delivery and if going for a bigger single fourstroke - may be best to start on a smaller version of the same :nenau

just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, the varadero is looking favourite at the moment. Local bike shop has a second hand one in so we'll go and look at that over the hols.

Definitely want a 4 stroke and something easy to ride, she's less worried about cost and more about comfort and ease of learning. Given that she wants a Dakar later, the varadero should be a good start.

Cheers,

Justin.

I had a Varadero as my first bike and it was excellent. Very comfy, good riding position (especially if she's looking at the Dakar next). A little top heavy but that's to be expected. Plus they go forever and never go wrong (even my battered old one). They keep their value so don't expect to lose much money on it and with a few accessories they can look pretty cool.

Do warn her that she'll be beaten off the lights by scooters though. Top speed is around 72mph but it starts to feel uncomfortable at about 60.

Back
Top Bottom