Tossers on Tour v1 ...The Italian Job 9th-19th June 2011

Very interested in this trip, the only drama being time off as I work in industrial cooling and we are super busy all summer so may need to beg for time off ( Money isn't a problem.)

When riding I like to 'make progress' when the opportunity allows though I think I will be buying that sargeant seat for my GSA before doing a big tour. 300-500 miles a day will take a few days to get used to, I'm not "bike fit".

Anyone speak Italian ??

Must admit this sounds my kind of trip. Suspect the fact that I dropped my Aprilia RSV1000R on the second part of the Esses at Snetterton this year either means I'm a crap rider, I was going to fast or I'm a dead ringer for this gig. (Actually I blame the tyres.)
Last year did the Croatia trip with other Tossers, many of whom decided long miles, speed and throwing GS' into corners was the order of the day.
Good fun if your nerves could take it.
Count me in if I'm still here ...............................

504070520_zWien-XL.jpg

Hi fella`s, im going to monitor this thread, am looking for a trip like this. Would work quite nice as i will have TKC`s on the beasty for the hog raost. Then i could have a set of sticky`s on for this.
Will watch this and let you know if im in later this year.

If....

If everyone turns up, there will be eleven on this trip, this should be flippin good, i'm looking forward to this blast ,210 euros saved already:clap

Hi I am thinking of doing a tour to Italy next year with a group of about 15+.. If your destination is flexible i can help you with camping at the park with showers at football club in the Abruzzo national park. Some Italian friends i ride with can be our guides for our ride in local area...when we arrive..
I have contacts including the mayor of this mountain top town and the bar is English speaking...I spoke about getting a hog roast organized with local butcher who is also a biker.People who want hotels this can be arranged..situated 40 min from Pescara approx 2 hours from Rome off the A25 motorway..:beerjug:

Here are some photo's on last ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 326
If you are going Austria then Stelvio then you must be going down the Eastern side of Lake Constance.

From experience, these places to stay are reasonable (as in the 40 euro mark) and decent quality.

Markdorf - Landhaus Traube - Linky

Lake Resia - Garni Marlene - Linky

As you went last year though, I guess you might know some places.

By the way, just my two-penneth, but I would only go by the overnight train (with moto) from Holland I think, straight to Northern Italy, Allesandria or Livrono.

hmmmm

Interesting,ive done the slog across france to get to spain and italy and quite fancy a wee train ride and bed,however some participants havnt done this stretch, so maybe they fancy the slog across France,we'll have to vote on it.thanks for the info,do you have anymore gas saving train rides you know of?
atb Paul

The train rides are no cheaper than riding though to be honest, just much nicer when you have slogged through Northern France many times before.

What I would say though is that if you are planning on coming back via Spain, you could get a ferry from Genova, there might be an overnighter even.

This years highlights for me were the Splugen Pass - fantastic - infact my fav I think. Also the B500 South from Baden-Baden.

Splugen Pass.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_zhfp-72mU?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_zhfp-72mU?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Interesting,ive done the slog across france to get to spain and italy and quite fancy a wee train ride and bed,however some participants havnt done this stretch, so maybe they fancy the slog across France,we'll have to vote on it.thanks for the info,do you have anymore gas saving train rides you know of?
atb Paul
The train does seem an interesting option as the slog through France does get a bit boring after you've done it a few times - certainly the slog back does. So maybe that's the answer, ride out and train back?
:jager

an idea

Around april may next year, i think it will be a good time to organise a little day trip to frogland to give the foreign virgins amongst us some practise in driving on the wrong side of the road,without any pressure of being anywhere specific.
I'll get you all to navigate to an auchan somewhere, (staggered starts) to stock up on vino:ChrisKellyetc,Lunch ,and then back to the port.
This will be an ideal opportunity to see how everyone rides, and see if we have a consistent group for the 5k mile ride in italy in june.
Ive just passed My IAM green badge ,and i know of one other who is currently studying the ROSPA course too.
Believe me its the best accessory you can buy for your bike.Paul

Last edited:
Thats a brilliant idea Paul.

Not sure if I can come next Sept as one of our engineers has booked his holiday already to coincide (visiting his daughter down under for 3 weeks) and it is our busiest period at work so the chance of two of us away for more than a week is pretty slim to none. :(

well,maybe

Thats a brilliant idea Paul.

Not sure if I can come next Sept as one of our engineers has booked his holiday already to coincide (visiting his daughter down under for 3 weeks) and it is our busiest period at work so the chance of two of us away for more than a week is pretty slim to none. :(
what about the middle to end of july?i'll see if we can perhaps bring it forwards to suit .i'll have to have a good look, august in italy is game over, national holiday, all month, hotels are normally fully booked.i'll look.

Back
Top Bottom