Snoops Project Diesel Bike Thread

Snoopy

Reaction score
Here goes. :augie

I started reading about the Enfield 500 and fitting a Yanmar L100 clone into it, as seen here: http://www.altmann.haan.de/riding_on_salad_oil/

After many conversations with the owner of this conversion I decided the Enfield wouldn't be the best thing to convert. I needed something a bit more "Adventure" style. Although I will definitely be using an Enfield sprung seat.

The L100 is originally a Yanmar engine but loads of Chinese companies have copied it. It supplies a paltry 10HP, which should eventually get the bike to 65mph. You may have heard the expression anything over 10HP is wheel-spin? This probably applies to a bike that doesn't have a heavy diesel engine in it. I'm expecting performance to be dreadful.

I set about looking for a cheap trail bike something around 400cc. This as difficult as everybody wants them. It had to have a steel frame because one way or the other the frame was getting cut and/or modified. I was looking at the XR400 or 650L but then an 1992 XTZ660 Tenere came up for £350 on this site.

Criteria was simple. Straight steel frame, decent suspension and good wheels/brakes.

The picture looked MUCH better than the real thing. When I say MUCH, I mean that everything was broke. I somehow rode it back from Nottingham, although by the time I was up Newcastle I was doing 7000RPM at 60mph complements of one ****ed clutch.

The bike looked like good value. It was not. It came with a spare wheel, and it needed it, as the one fitted had a large hole in it.

Having bought my first house I took a bit of time to get the pre-fab garage renovated. I have a reputation for doing things properly after all, and after spending two weeks breathing in asbestos :blast the bike was inside and the tools began to be assembled.

I stripped the bugger to the engine and that's coming out today. Most the bolts were seized and a grinder was used extensively. I also noticed how shit Yamaha are at building bikes, everything is over-engineered. The rear passenger pegs weigh as much as a KTM Enduro.

Attachments

• xtz 001.jpg
    xtz 001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 555
  • xtz 002.jpg
    xtz 002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 542
Cool, i want to diesel my k100rs. no time at the mo` may get round to it when i retire in 20yrs.
good luck and keep the pics coming.
Ray

The bike looked like good value. It was not.

The rear passenger pegs weigh as much as a KTM Enduro.

good value? you,d get 350 for the frame and book, and another 3 for the engine on ebay
the pegs etc will be heavy, your comparing it to a newer bike,
you shoulda dropped it off at my house on the way up, and got something more suitable,
i hope it isnt, but i think this project is doooooomed:eek:

I'm bidding on another engine at the moment. I lost the other one.

The petrol engine is out and I bought a MIG. The other major thing to do is finding an Enfield gearbox. I had wrongly assumed they'd be widely available and cheap. :blast

It's after 00:00hrs and I'm back from nearly 11hrs of driving. In my possession is another bike, and a diesel engine. :augie

606406.jpg

So...

1st picture: The Enfield :cool:
2nd picture: The petrol :(
3rd picture: The diesel. :thumb2

Attachments

• p1010919.jpg
    p1010919.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 288
  • p1010920.jpg
    p1010920.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 527
  • p1010921.jpg
    p1010921.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 530
A quality thread Snoops, I imagine most are shaking with stiffled laughter whilst waiting for the next installment.....I know I am:D

Bring it on:clap

Back
Top Bottom