Starcom1 Intercom units

gavinbell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Back in the Carpathians... once bitten you never l
Right as promised some feedback of the Starcom units that we took to Romania.

Fitting
The unit fits nicely on top of the air box of the GS – undo the bracket holding the diagnostic socket and use a couple of cable ties to hold it in place. The Starcom1 comes complete with a bike power cable (no extra charge unlike the competition) – this is best plumbed into a switched feed. You can use it with a battery if you wish. The cables for your headsets, music, phone, bike to bike etc plug firmly in and can be routed to which ever location suits you best.

The PTT button for the bike to bike can be velcroed to your left hand grip, or as we did removed from the holder, then velcroed and cable tied to the left hand switch gear which makes it very easy to operate.

Extension leads for the headsets include neat little caps to mount to the bike and protect them when not in use.

Headsets,
I was able to test both options for headsets – a full-face version and the boom mike type. These fitted well in the BMW Evo4 helmet and into Andreea’s Caberg. As with any headsets – make sure the mike is positioned so that it is just touching your lips. The sound quality and noise cancelling ability were both good.

Using as a simple intercom
The unit performed well – being fully duplex provided natural conversation rather than the on off operation of vox controlled units. The adjustable volume enabled levels to be set to suit ourselves. They are adjustable to enable one of you to wear ear plugs. We were able to talk clearly at motorway speeds with only a little wind noise picked up from the helmet vents.

An excellent feature of the Starcom1 is the active volume system that automatically increases as background noise and speed increase. This worked well and meant that once set the volume control did not need altering.

Using as a Bike to Bike set up
After a few initial niggles setting the radios up and once we had plumbed in the PTT buttons properly the unit worked effectively. The limitations are only down to the range of the radio units – we were using Kenwood Funkey sets. It is worth noting that to get the best range from a PMR radio – mount them with the aerial vertical.
They proved invaluable as Ian headed off in the wrong direction at over 100 mph whilst nattering away to his mother on his nokia mobile phone that worked seamlessly with the unit. A few frantic shouts had him realising his mistake and swinging back round at the next exit

With Music
A CD or minidisk player simply plugs in and give good quality sound. The VOX control, PTT switch or using your phone mutes the sound when needed – returning after a few seconds. This is very convenient to enable brief conversations with locals when confirming directions, without having to fumble for your music controls.

Overall Impressiion.

Having had the ability to compare this with other units, I was impressed. The unit performed well and did not let us down at all. I really like the duplex intercom, combined with adjustable volume it gave a much more natural and intimate conversation. I would have liked the opportunity to use more powerful radios such as the TK301 – but the Funkeys proved their worth when needed, for directions, pointing out interesting views, local beauty and warning each other of speed traps.

I would happily recommend the Starcom1 to anyone looking for a new intercom and if anyone wants to have a nose at our setups – get in touch. A good example of a product that does what it says on the box.

Starcom are on offer at a reasonable price – even better if you take the UKGSER discount into account. The Starcom1 is available in several options to suit your needs. A fully equipped rider to pillion kit costs £159.97 and bike to bike kits start at £175.97. – not including UKGSER discount! - see discount forum

Contact Tony at Techstar on 01480 399499
www.starcom1.com

I bought one of these at the beginning of June and I can confirm they are good, and do exactly what they claim on the box!

Good service too!

Lloyd

gavinbell said:
bike to bike kits start at £175.97. – not including UKGSER discount! - see discount forum
Hi Gavin,
I'm a member of the site, but is the discount only for UK residents? Couldn't find the discount forum...:(
What would the price be for two Kit F [starcom+tk3101]?

I've brought one and have just used it for a trip to Wales with the Girlfriend.

Fantastic, great value, the VOX works well and you really can hold a converstaion at 100mph.

We used it with an iPod and had the VOX set so the girlfriend could sing along with out the VOX stoping the music yet a slight raise of voice would stop it... very clever and easy to set up.

I use to use an autocom afew years ago... maybe I never set it up right but I'd say the starcom is better, maybe to do with the in built amps.

Reprobate... just give them a call and ask for the GS club deal, they're a friencdly bunch.

Wreford

Wreford Miles said:
Reprobate... just give them a call and ask for the GS club deal, they're a friencdly bunch.
I'm emailing back-and-forth with Tony Starling - just now mentioned the UKGSER discount, I'll see what he replies.
Question, I have a very good PTT set up - RT-P button with mount behind the left indicator - that I'd like to connect to the starcom. Is it difficult to switch PTT buttons? Does the cable have a quick disconnect? I wouldn't like to leave the entire cable on the bike...

Thanks gavin for your initial report. I've replaced my Autocom (Easi-7, the cheapo one!) with a Starcom and it does everything you say. Made up an alloy cradle which screws into the top of the airbox, replacing the diagnostic socket clip.

Shame I didn't pick up on the club discount!

Re: Re: Starcom1 Intercom units

Reprobate said:
Hi Gavin,
I'm a member of the site, Couldn't find the discount forum...:(
[starcom+tk3101]?

you have to be a forum sponsor, then you'll see it, and all the other goodies on offer .

:eek: ;)

Starcom

Peprobate...how did you get on with Tony ....hope he sorted you out! check your mail

Glad everyone is happy with the unit....I am well pleased, actually started using the mobile on the bike...something I thought I would never do.

Hope the discount is working ok ..if anyone has a problem let me know and I can remind them.

gavin

What mobile are you using Gavin? I can receive call fine using the auto answer option but my phone (Ericsson T29 flip) is too fiddly to make calls on inspite of voice dialling and I'm thinking of changing it.

Back
Top Bottom