Blocking notifications automatically iPhone/Intercom

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I always refused to use an intercom because I don't want to be disturbed when riding. Then, couple of years ago, I caved in and discovered that it is actually pretty handy (music, talking to a buddy).
I installed the intercom kit in 2 of my helmets. The only drawback is that I tend to get the rogue notification (Whatsapp, Slack, Teams, random callers) if I forget to block them on the iPhone before riding.

My case might be extreme because I use my personal phone for work too and I'm constantly online and work with the US in a big team and you can have people messaging you at any time, etc. Not to mention people that start one-sided conversation with you on Whatsapp and you start getting a message every few seconds. I find it infuriating.
Yes, you can disable them after a certain hour, but you might get inundated with "pings" on a simple ride to the office, etc. etc.

This is made worse by Cardo having a fairly inconsistent volume management, so you might be listening to music on a medium/low volume and, maybe, someone sends you a text on Signal and that sound alone is enough to perforate both your eardrums. :D

I do have a Driving Focus Status on my iPhone that blocks every single notification or incoming calls bar 4 or 5 important people. But, as said above, I have to manually engage it every time and forget most times.
Long story short, just today it occurred to me that you can automate that via shortcuts, and the easiest way to do this is: when iPhone is connected to Cardo intercom then enable the Driving Focus. Takes 2 minutes to set up. Maybe this is common for most people, apologies if that is the case, but I just had the epiphany today. :)

First thing to do is to open Automations on the iPhone.
In the Shortcuts tab, create one automation that enables your Driving focus (or whatever Focus you wanna use when riding) and another one that disable it.

cardo-shortcut.jpg

Second step: in the Automation tab create a new one, search for the Bluetooth action and, essentially, tell the phone to run the shortcuts above (enable/disable focus) when your Bluetooth Intercom is connected/disconnected.

cardo-bt.jpg
cardo-automation.jpg

Voilà.

ON:
cardo-auto-on.gif

OFF:
cardo-auto-off.gif

Or maybe just don't use an intercom :D :D :D

I just disable notifications on my iphone and accept calls will come in that I don't want to take occasionally. At least I don't get the annoying beeps for notifications popping up regularly.

You can choose whatever combination of notifications/no notifications.
This is just to enable it automatically when you ride without having to faff with the phone.

Back
Top Bottom