Carpuride problem - BMW connection to iPhone

stegula

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have recently bought a Carplay/Android Auto device (Carpuride W702). The issue is that my iPhone continuously defaults to bike's TFT for call audio instead of the Carplay. Is there any option where I can stay connected to the bike to track the mileage, lean angles etc, but to disable the call connection?

Thank you in advance!

Hi everybody, I have recently bought a Carplay/Android Auto device (Carpuride W702). The issue is that my iPhone continuously defaults to bike's TFT for call audio instead of the Carplay. Is there any option where I can stay connected to the bike to track the mileage, lean angles etc, but to disable the call connection?

Thank you in advance!
On Android you can go into Bluetooth setting and then select a specific connection. You can then adjust how you want that connection to deal with certain things (such as calls and audio) you then turn that on or off.

However I know Apple normally doesn't allow the user that sort of freedom.

Thank you in advance!
can you connect to the carpuride via wifi rather than BT?

can you connect to the carpuride via wifi rather than BT?
It is connected to Carpuride via wifi, however, the audio output somehow prefers the Bluetooth connection to the carplay connection. It defaults to the bluetooth connection we have with the BMW TFT no matter that i haven't connected any headset to the TFT :S

Open the connected app

click on the 3 dots on the bottom right

in the menu select 'Permissions'

Turn off phone call

I don't know if Apple allows this level of control like with Android Apps

Now go to phone settings/Apps or Privacy/Connected App/Permissions and again turn off the permission that allows it to use your phone

Last edited:
How do you have everything connected? I assume you have your headset connected to the bikes TFT as well as your phone? Or else the Call/Music options on the TFT wouldn't be enabled?

Do you also have the headset paired to the W702?

I have the exact same setup and it works fine, however due to the way in which the W702 handles audio passthrough I've taken a slightly different approach. When I have my headset paired to the W702 the audio is terrible and laggy and alot of people find they have the same. So this is my setup, I am using a Cardo PackTalk Bold with my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I have the iPhone connected to the W702 obviously and CarPlay works fine, however I had to change the setting on the W702 so that it uses "iPlay" for audio which basically means the CarPuride doesn't handle the audio part of it.

I then have my headset paired directly to my phone, but, when I get a call or I make a call using the W702 screen it all works fine and I get no issue with audio. I also have my phone paired to the bike with the Connected app but I do NOT have the headset paired to it, so I only get the Nav icon in the menu, not Phone/Music so I still get my rides recorded and I can do everything through the W702.

I also have my phone paired to the bike with the Connected app but I do NOT have the headset paired to it, so I only get the Nav icon in the menu, not Phone/Music so I still get my rides recorded and I can do everything through the W702.

Hey @peej1977 , I have an "issue" where even only with my iPhone connected in BT to my intercom and to my BMW motorbike through Connected app, when I try to listen some music by default my iPhone try to send music to the motorbike instead of my intercom, I have to change audio output on my iPhone, is there is a way to avoid sending music or navigation instruction to the motorbike by default and only use Connected app for speed limit display on TFT and rides recording etc.. ?

My intercom is not paired with my motorbike, only with my phone. Thank you for your help

Hi @anona,

Setting iPhone to send sound to BT intercom

Requirement: BMW bike i headset must be paired with iPhone, no active connection required.
Step 1, create a shortcut
in the iPhone Shortcuts app, create a new shortcut
first command: "Wait", 2 seconds
second command "Change Playback Destination", select the option - Your BT intercom
The shortcut is complete, save and give the shortcut a name

Step 2, define the automation:
In the Shortcuts app, click "Automation" at the bottom.
Select "Bluetooth"
For "When", select BMW as the device
Activate Connected
Activate Run Now
Click on PK
For Create, select a previously created shortcut from "My Shortcuts"

Every time an iPhone is connected to a BMW motorcycle, the commands from this shortcut are executed.
Audio output from iPhone will be transferred to the intercom.

Hey @peej1977 , I have an "issue" where even only with my iPhone connected in BT to my intercom and to my BMW motorbike through Connected app, when I try to listen some music by default my iPhone try to send music to the motorbike instead of my intercom, I have to change audio output on my iPhone, is there is a way to avoid sending music or navigation instruction to the motorbike by default and only use Connected app for speed limit display on TFT and rides recording etc.. ?

My intercom is not paired with my motorbike, only with my phone. Thank you for your help
As mentioned by the person above, sadly when you pair your phone to the bike even if you don't have a headset paired it wants to shove the audio over to the TFT so running an automation like suggested above is the best solution.

I have a similar automation that increases the phone volume to 80% in case I forgot to turn it up before putting inside my jacket.

Last edited:
Hi @anona,

Setting iPhone to send sound to BT intercom

Requirement: BMW bike i headset must be paired with iPhone, no active connection required.
Step 1, create a shortcut
in the iPhone Shortcuts app, create a new shortcut
first command: "Wait", 2 seconds
second command "Change Playback Destination", select the option - Your BT intercom
The shortcut is complete, save and give the shortcut a name

Step 2, define the automation:
In the Shortcuts app, click "Automation" at the bottom.
Select "Bluetooth"
For "When", select BMW as the device
Activate Connected
Activate Run Now
Click on PK
For Create, select a previously created shortcut from "My Shortcuts"

Every time an iPhone is connected to a BMW motorcycle, the commands from this shortcut are executed.
Audio output from iPhone will be transferred to the intercom.
Hi @ecopell.rs
Thank you for this, I never think of using Shortcuts :).

When I will have my Carpuride, I will check how it works in addition to that, but from what I understood from @peej1977 and your shortcut, it will still be the same, I will only need to change the settings on the carpuride device so that it uses "iPlay" for audio instead of it's internal audio settings.

Thanks ;)

@anona
When you mount carpuride you will add second automation that will follow the carpuride device
and when it connects, the automation will run the same shortcut.
The trick is that the automation switches the audio output to the intercom after each BMW i Carpuride connection

Understood, So I will have one automation for my motorbike and the same for Carpuride in order to always have my phone as output.
And from what I understood regarding connections between everything, for better audio I need to use the "Bluetooth Audio" solution as shown on Carpuride website, not the "Bluetooth Trans" :

X2_1b024921-163e-4f19-834e-389920c4ebd3_600x.jpg

Understood, So I will have one automation for my motorbike and the same for Carpuride in order to always have my phone as output.
And from what I understood regarding connections between everything, for better audio I need to use the "Bluetooth Audio" solution as shown on Carpuride website, not the "Bluetooth Trans" :

X2_1b024921-163e-4f19-834e-389920c4ebd3_600x.jpg
This is how I have mine setup:

Back
Top Bottom