What do you think of your dealer

I would think £250 is about right for a 12k service (mine was a little while ago and was somewhat less than that). You could spec mineral oil which should knock a fair chunk off. Also are you comparing like with like? What other work is being done? Brake fluid change?

Dunno, but I cannot see a few ml of brake fluid and a tin of synthtic oil should be costing me £150!

Gonna phone around, was not 100% sure of local dealer anyway, especially after recent post about them charging for work not done / parts not fitted, and do not want to risk paying £400 to have my bike parked up for 3 hours and then the tyres kicked and an invoice invented.

Supplying dealer also left the brakes in a filthy state after a "service" and they had not done the yearly which I had been told they had done, admittedly they rectified this, but still never managed to get me my warranty book sorted even after numerous phone calls (inlcuding me contacting BMW myself) I am still without the warranty nearly 7 months after buying the bike.

The problem with travelling is the dealers want the bike the night before which is not viable if I am travelling 60-70 miles for servicing.

Just asked to confirm service prices at my local dealer, was expecting a bit of a rise since I enquired back in October (when looking to buy the bike)

Back in October (before I bought a GS) I was told the 12k service was about £250 and the 24k Service £400, I even wrote it down at the time so know I am not "mistaken"

All of a sudden the 12k service has jumped up to £400 - more than a 50% rise in under 6 months! I do not want to know what the "big" 24k service will set me back, as it will probably be more than the bloody bike is worth by then.

I am not sure if the salesman was deliberately misleading to try and cover the extortionate running costs, or just did not bother to check his facts. Either way I may give up my last two months of Warranty and take it to an independant and save about £200, then put the £350 of next years warranty money on top and use it towards trading in for the new Triumph 1200.

Why do people use these things to commute on, surely it would be cheaper to run a private helicopter :nenau

Rasher

Where did you purchase your bike from?

Just asked to confirm service prices at my local dealer, was expecting a bit of a rise since I enquired back in October (when looking to buy the bike)

Back in October (before I bought a GS) I was told the 12k service was about £250 and the 24k Service £400, I even wrote it down at the time so know I am not "mistaken"

All of a sudden the 12k service has jumped up to £400 - more than a 50% rise in under 6 months! I do not want to know what the "big" 24k service will set me back, as it will probably be more than the bloody bike is worth by then.

I am not sure if the salesman was deliberately misleading to try and cover the extortionate running costs, or just did not bother to check his facts. Either way I may give up my last two months of Warranty and take it to an independant and save about £200, then put the £350 of next years warranty money on top and use it towards trading in for the new Triumph 1200.

Why do people use these things to commute on, surely it would be cheaper to run a private helicopter :nenau

Treat like a premium, for previously being too critical:augie

The problem with travelling is the dealers want the bike the night before which is not viable if I am travelling 60-70 miles for servicing.

???

Which dealer told you that load of crap, they really don't like you... Forget the dealer, get the thing serviced by an independent mechanic and the cost will drop through the floor.

The 2 year warranty, is not affected by who services it as long as you can prove it, I've had warranty work (not major) done by the supplying dealer, another BMW dealer, servicing done by a mix of dealers and non-dealers over all the UK and when I've asked for warranty claims, no problems at all. As there shouldn't be. I'm actually a fan of the BMW warranty and is one of the major reasons why I bought a BMW from new.

I've bought numerous sets of panniers and goods from Simon at Vines Caterham. Excellent service, great help and friendly. :thumb

Have also bought (well paid the deposit) on my new GSA that Tony Eade organised at Coopers Tunbridge (although bike's not there yet)............... again Tony has been fantastic in assisting me all the way in SA.

:thumb

As the main protagonist, I will cover the base points for you, nice & slowly. You prehap's weren't able to decipher what I was bringing forth in my thread.

1) I had received further mail from NQG, title of letter been somewhat dramatic, making me worry momentarily over the state of my safety! Previously calling them on the phone...stating I do not wish to be contacted with regard to mail-shots.

They proceeded to inadvertently annoy me, by ignorant & wasteful advice instructing NQG not to fall foul of unsolicited mail; "I like to do my little bit to save the planet, so by virtue saving them paper & in my minds eye, a bit of a tree." Which is why most business I deal with I stipulate I do not wish to be contacted by mail.

2)Now that they had broken my verbal commands, it was open fking warfare. Well,.. it was good to vent some annoyance back at them. Whats an oil-filter between friend&foe,..ow about £15. No charge for removal of bash-plate/nuts under engine area were still covered in dirt??!??..that's because it wasn't removed. As Matt stipulated in the email reply (out of the blue/due to my thread) "if it is part of the service that the bike is booked in for "...which would clearly add credit to my claim of been charged for something that didn't & in-fact wasn't changed.

3)My alternative was to have a rant on here, bringing up a sore issue. I'm on plenty of other forums, but keep bmw related subject-matter, here on ukgser. I wouldn't go out of my way to belittle people's enjoyment of north-oxford-garage, however it is always worth been the noisy cog once in a while.

Forewarned is forearmed]

Just seen this. In the light of this new evidence, I think Matt at NOG deserves an MBE for his work with car in the community.

Got 3 quotes:

£400

£220

£220 - £280

Only one clearly explained what was involved for the money, hence the £60 lower to upper price, the upper covering FD and Gearbox oil as well as "standard" service work.

It does not help that there is services every 6k, then some stuff every year and other stuff every other year and bits done on the 1st and 3rd years, whilst some are on the 2nd and 4th years :blagblah

Between that lot I guess the dealer can dream up any price they fancy, my mistake may have been going along in work clobber, I expect they clocked the shirt and tie and thought I must be a sucker for a huge bill.

£400 still sounds a bit steep, unless they ferry you up to La Manoir for lunch as part of the deal:

http://www.manoir.com/web/olem/le_manoir.jsp

If they chuck in a high class hooker and a room for a couple of hours I may just take them up on the deal.

Regrettably I don't think Ray let's his rooms go for a couple of hours. You could take it for a whole night but that would sort of wpe out your £400. Of course you could take the whole place for the weekend (happened a couple of times so far this year). I believe the going rate is £50k to £70k.

Of course you could take the whole place for the weekend (happened a couple of times so far this year). I believe the going rate is £50k to £70k.

Does that include breakfast or a complimentary GS service (or new GS for that matter)

Been a customer of Vines at Guildford for many years and many years before that when they were Coombs of Guildford.

Always found them to be a good bunch and very helpful.

Ocean BMW Plymouth,friendly lot, helpful and from what Ive heard,very good.Parts department lets them down a bit though.I ordered a less than £1 part and months later the part had arrived but was the wrong part.Motoworks got the part to me next day and I didn't order until 1500hrs.Im not slagging them off.They made a mistake,just like I do sometimes,just that I now go to Motoworks first for parts.

Back
Top Bottom