Helmet communication system - what is best

Intrepid Ken

Has anyone got a recommendation on the best communication system between rider and pillion and bike to bike. What about blue-tooth helmets.

KB

Autocom.

Period.

Try a search using the button at the top of the page......many of us have tried many options and TBH the only two systems that people see to end up with are Autocom and Autocom.

And Baer (sic?)

The BAer system seems to be lots more money though......as if Autocom isn't dear enough already ;)

I think I tried three other systems ranging from vacuum tubes to an Oxford thingy before I tried Autocom....many other people have done the same and the general consensus is just thta.....it's not worth wasting the money trying other stuff, you might as well bite the bullet and pay out up front for AUtocom.

lol I sound like a salesman for the buggers!!

PS I don't know about bluetooth...Mike Werner apparently did a review on them on his site and from what I gather, they may well be good for the future but perhaps not sufficiently developed and adaptable (ie adding music and phone sources ) as yet.

Fanum said:
PS I don't know about bluetooth...Mike Werner apparently did a review on them on his site and from what I gather, they may well be good for the future but perhaps not sufficiently developed and adaptable (ie adding music and phone sources ) as yet.

I reckon the biggest bug bear on bluetooth will be batteries for your headsets. That will be a royal PITA.

STARCOM

From my experience just as good as Autocom but cheaper.
Better between rider and pasenger as well due to full duplex circuit, ie. no annoying lag when starting to speak like on the autocom because the chanel between rider and passenger is open all the time enableing a perfectly natural conversation.

Plus mention UKGSER and get an extra discount
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21995

i have heard (sic?!) that Starcom are good from a couple of bike trainers,also "chatterbox" seem good at LOWer speeds, but lose it when the mph gets higher.
but my experience would suggest Autocom.
hth.
eM.
(i use autocom when i'm training riders - never found a better system - but they ARE stupidly expensive.):mad:

mikeh501 said:
I reckon the biggest bug bear on bluetooth will be batteries for your headsets. That will be a royal PITA.

Unless they make them rechargeable Mike.....

I've just got a bluetooth headset for my Motorola V525 and it just clips into a charger at night with no probs.......it's tiny but has 3 hours talk time and a couple of days stand-by so if they do similar with bluetooth lids it shouldn't be a problem.

Now.......the first company to come up with an interface to link an autocom to a bluetooth device....they'll make some money!!!

:D :D

(actually that would be interesting to find out....there must be someone somewhere that can supply something to take a duplex audio signal to bluetooth.......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: )

Intaride

I've used PMR radios from a company called Intaride for 18 months, they have just launched an Autocom type system and i'm currently trying it out. A bit early for a definitive recomendation but the signs are good and it's about half the price of an Autocom.

Enjoy the bike mate!

Ken,

Hope you had a safe ride home. Nice dry night!

Autocom seems to be the industry benchmark in the UK. I am not sure there is an importer for where you are going. From the demo I have tried at bike show, it is pretty good kit.

I saw the Baehr kit at the Bikers Meet in Garmisch. Looks pretty good also. Although it was expensive. They are however geared for Rider to Pillion communication. The Bike to Bike is more an auxillary function. If you buy there kit, you get the TWO headsets with the kit.

Also Baehr do these helmets that have the headphones and mic built in. They have both full face and open face versions. As I am not that technical, not sure if the connectors fit the autocom leads. From what I remember, they were not that expensive, although not cheap either. More a convenience thing with everything built in.

Hey, hope you post your ride reports here or somewhere, when you go on your trip.

T.

autocom

I use a autocom pro 7 sport on my pan and one of there cheaper jobs on the other bikes. Absolutely brilliant at very fast speeds, the other half can slow me up at 130 mph on the VFR and I can still here her.
Theyu are the best and the after sales support service is brilliant.and no I dont work for 'em
Dood'

PMR...

thats the bit thats important!;)

"PMR"....i think its "PMR 446" - its the tech. spec. of Autocom and many of the other better radios - look for that and it should be good quality, regardless of the name on the box.
:)

Back
Top Bottom