GPS Coordinates on 2610?

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does the 2610 have the facility of finding a place using GPS coordinates or will I have to use some other software?. I was trying to add Popham airfield to a route, but I cant seem to find it using the GPS. I tried POI and the address but no joy.

Before anyone sends me a map, I know where it is, the GPS doesnt seem to. Mind you its not on microsoft autoroute either.

Baz

I use something like the following procedure (for my Navigator)

Find the post code (e.g. I used http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/)
SO21 3BD

Enter this into http://www.multimap.com/ to get the coords

Lat:
51:11:37N (51.1937)
Lon:
1:14:49W (-1.2469)

Create a new waypoint on GPS (for Navigator you use Mark button) - then highlight the coords on screen and change to ones above (these need to be entered in same format as GPS originally shows them i.e. with . instead of :

Just a remark here (nothing to do with GPSRs, but everything to do with airport lat/long):

The latitude and longitude normally published for an airport is referred to as the ARP (airport reference point), and by international agreement (ICAO standard) it will be either the midpoint of the runway (single runway airport), intersection of the two runways (two runway airport) or center point averaged from all the runway thresholds (multiple runway airport).

This is very useful for those of us who use GPSRs in aircraft, but can be a nuisance for those who are in vehicle, trying to find the airport parking lot.

If you are looking for ARP's, my guess is that the UK CAA probably maintains an on-line database of them somewhere. Or, just phone the tower at the airport and they will give it to you. My Garmin 296 (an aviation - automotive - marine model) will have the ARP for the airport you refer to in its Jeppesen aviation basemap. I need to switch the 296 over from a North American Jeppesen basemap to a European Jeppesen basemap later tonight (I'm going to CH tomorrow, after flying in Alberta all week), so I will look up the ARP for you once I get this changeover done.

NB the 'aviation basemap' is not the same as the automotive basemap. It's something you buy from Jeppesen every 28 days, either Atlantic, Americas, or Pacific. You can load whichever one you want, and change them as often as you want. The Garmin basemaps (terrain, obstacles, and automotive) remain the same all the time (Americas, Atlantic, or Pacific), just like the automotive GPSRs.

PanEuropean

You can do this in MapSource.

Choose the waypoint tool.

Then use the View / GoTo Postion menu option, enter your coords, and hit enter.

Your cursor will be positioned at that place on the map. Click the mouse to create a waypoint.

Must be doing something wrong every time I try & enter Co-ordinates I get an error message Invalid Lat or Lon.
Can Someone post how I should input the Co ords into the Map Souirce "Go to" function.

Ta

Baz

View/Go To Position...

in the box that appears enter

N51 11.370 W1 14.490

from the example before of
Lat:
51:11:37N (51.1937)
Lon:
1:14:49W (-1.2469)

Done that, what should it be showing me?

Baz

Baz said:
Done that, what should it be showing me?

It ought to be showing you Popham airport, but that doesn't appear on the map :)

You will have to create your own waypoint using the values
N51 11.370 W1 14.490
which you can then include in your route.

It does point to the general area. i was expecting a cross hair or arrow at the point though??

Baz

Hmm, meyerweb indicated earlier that ought to happen, but it doesn't on my Mapsource.

Back
Top Bottom