Tour of Berkshire Fords - Recce

I, of course, fell for their disguise and had a bit of a shock - this is the muddy result of a lot of throttle/wheel spin, while stuck in a 2 foot deep "trench". You can't see the rest of it which was plastered up the back of my legs :)

Attachments

• p8210016.jpg
    p8210016.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 196
I managed to navigate quite a lot of muddy byways today without too much trouble and it didn't rain, so, I should have been expecting something. This arrived in the shape of forgetting I had the ABS disabled still when trying to stop with the front brake while turning in a gravel pub car park. Yep, the front locked and started to go, I tried valiantly to hold it up, realised I was onto a losing battle, so laid it gracefully on it's side. As the pub garden had several customers looking on, I decided not to photo that, but to get on with the "picking it up" practise.

I must say the paint doesn't seem too sturdy - but at least the head didn't touch down :)

Now to get back to the cleaning :(

Until next time.

Attachments

• p8210019.jpg
    p8210019.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 193
HMR said:
2 feet may be OK but 2.5 feet was too much! The KTM 950 made it but my 1200GS drowned.

Oops, yep - 24 inches / 60 cm is the limit - I've been close once - if the depth reaches the header pipes I start to worry in case there is an unseen dip or hole. I may investigate trying to bodge up a snorkel :)

Came across the Bramshill Ford by chance today.
The marker post was showing depth as 2 foot and I decided to look a bit closer... there was a nasty looking concrete ridge about 10 foot into the water from the side I was on... as no one was around I decided to give it a miss... "discretion being the better part of valour"... or something like that.

Or, just plain chicken:rolleyes:

Attachments

• bramshill.jpg
    bramshill.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 102
MasterDabber said:
"discretion being the better part of valour"... or something like that.

Probably a wise choice - that marker is fairly accurate - I've not been through there myself on the GS but went through and back a couple of weeks ago on my pogo stick - the concrete "ridge" is best avoided :eek:

MasterDabber said:
The marker post was showing depth as 2 foot and I decided to look a bit closer... there was a nasty looking concrete ridge about 10 foot into the water from the side I was on... as no one was around I decided to give it a miss... "discretion being the better part of valour"... or something like that.

It can be a bit tricky. The bottom is well surfaced concrete (well it was the last time I went through a couple of years ago - on a ZX6R I might add;)) but the approach on both sides being gravel erodes around the edges of the concrete leaving an exposed step up onto the concrete. you just have to approach perpendicular to it and its fine tho.

I have been through it with the water waist height before....

but then I did have a bergan on my back doing a CFT.;)

if you want a real challenge try this one just down the road.;)
http://vamp.idlers.org/~jaffa/dp.htm?Lower Common1&Lower Common1mo
When the sluice is open.:D

So Clive....this is all about the recce....and a good job done sir...but when are you going to call a ride out and do it properly with a bunch of tossers in tow???

Is it a do-able route from the Hog Raost?
(or at least a part of it???)

Shout out loud matey....I fancy a go at some of those :D

Fanum said:
So Clive....this is all about the recce....and a good job done sir...but when are you going to call a ride out and do it properly with a bunch of tossers in tow???

Is it a do-able route from the Hog Raost?
(or at least a part of it???)

Shout out loud matey....I fancy a go at some of those :D

I'll try and sort something out for after Garmisch.

As for the Hog Raost - probably a bit far ? - the nearest (Headley - good photo opp.) is 20 miles or so from Weyhill and I don't think there are many Hampshire ones between.

However, if you are not bothered by the distance, the Arborfield ones (3 of them) are on some great GS friendly byways and Hurst ford is next to a pub that would make a good lunchtime stop.

Back
Top Bottom