Fosse Way

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm in the right region but....

Going down from the north to the south coast this w/e and have discovered the Fosse Way which heads 'straight' in the right direction :rolleyes:

Is it a good/recommended route :confused:

I live near Warwick, and my folks are in South Dorset and I use the Fosse to get to them, rather than M40/A34/M3/M27/A31 etc etc

For a straight Roman Road it isn't that straight, but you can maintain a good speed on it, subject to the normal tractors/caravans etc..

You going on two or four wheels?

Where abouts south are you trying to get to?

I try to avoid the Fosse. It runs right past my house.

I avoid it because I know if I keep using it I will die.

It's just too much fun, and way too fast:D

I have no self control.

Not sure if I'm in the right region but....

Going down from the north to the south coast this w/e and have discovered the Fosse Way which heads 'straight' in the right direction :rolleyes:

Is it a good/recommended route :confused:

I used a part of it last year on the way down to Cornwall (always try to avoid motorways on the bike now). The bit I used was very enjoyable and easy to make good progress on, whilst also just enjoying the ride, the scenery and the pure pleasure of being on the bike. Gets my vote :thumb2

Mick

2 wheels and heading for Poole

Only a few miles from my folks

In which case, yep the fosse will be the way to go..

follow the A429 all the way to the M4, then follow the A350 all the way down to Poole

The A350 between Shaftesbury and Warmister is alittle poo, lots and lots of slow vehicles.. I tend to avoid this by

Taking A30 (Salisbury/Ludwell)

Then Take the first Right (tis after about 100yards) signposted Melbury Abbas B3081.

Then just stay on the road (the B3081 takes a left turn - is a junction - but if you stay straight on the way the road goes it'll be fine)

After some fun you'll get to a roundabout, take a left then you're back on the A350

From memory there are a couple of fixed speed cameras, most in the 50mph, one coming towards Burton on the water, can't remember the others.

After Blandford on the A350 take care, as there (again from memory) a few cameras through the 30/40mph sections

Only a few miles from my folks

The A350 between Shaftesbury and Warmister is alittle poo, lots and lots of slow vehicles.. I tend to avoid this by

Taking A30 (Salisbury/Ludwell)

Then Take the first Right (tis after about 100yards) signposted Melbury Abbas B3081.

Then just stay on the road (the B3081 takes a left turn - is a junction - but if you stay straight on the way the road goes it'll be fine)

After some fun you'll get to a roundabout, take a left then you're back on the A350

Dave

Just looking at this, Melbury Abbas is south of Shaftesbury and the B3081 heads off south east (albeit connecting with the B3078 you get down nicely to Wimborne).

I've misunderstood something :nenau

Don't worry, it's a strange one..

get onto the B3081 towards Melbury Abbas

The actually B3081 is a left turn, but if you don't turn off the road you are one you carry on to Melbury Abbas, then just carry on and you end up back on the A350

Hopefully if this work you will see the junction below

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=shaftesbury&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shaftesbury,+Dorset,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&sqi=2&layer=c&cbll=50.988238,-2.169537&cbp=13,172.71,,0,5&source=embed&ll=50.988238,-2.169537&spn=0,0.036478&z=14&panoid=sQPHI9i-p6c3rx8fSwruLA&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=shaftesbury&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shaftesbury,+Dorset,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&sqi=2&layer=c&cbll=50.988238,-2.169537&cbp=13,172.71,,0,5&source=embed&ll=50.988238,-2.169537&spn=0,0.036478&z=14&panoid=sQPHI9i-p6c3rx8fSwruLA" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

The actual B3081 is the right road off to the left, if you carry straight on here you will be fine

No problems, I've ridden it once, but driven it more times than I care to remember.

Have fun, a

Back
Top Bottom