New Guzzis: How reliable are they?

The deed is done and a California Vintage should be arriving Monday.

Sounds like you've got yourself a fantastic bike :thumb2

I've had several Cali. 1100i and they are relaxing, characterful, and can cover distance with ease.

Plus, the 'Vintage' really does look great :D

The deed is done and a California Vintage should be arriving Monday. It's a low tech, air cooled, 2 valve bike but with fuel injection: a bit of a new/old Motorcycle (with loads of character and heritage) that can cruise at 70mph and handles and stops OK, for what it is. Should be interesting.

it'll cruise a fair bit faster than that :thumb2

That's it - yer hooked. :comfort

Enjoy! :D

Sounds like you've got yourself a fantastic bike :thumb2

I've had several Cali. 1100i and they are relaxing, characterful, and can cover distance with ease.

Plus, the 'Vintage' really does look great :D

Thank's :beerjug:

You're under selling the bikes, I reckon you'll be surprised once you and the bike bond.

Enjoy :thumb2

Andres

it'll cruise a fair bit faster than that :thumb2

I know it is a pretty capable bike. I guess I described the bike in a way someone new to Guzzis would understand rather than those in the know ;) :D

I would have liked a 'modern' Vintage but funds didnt stretch to it. Enjoy:thumb

Even the old Calis handle better than you think , I remember followoing a chap whilst on holiday on my 1100GS and whilst he clearly knew the roads I was surprised at how quick he was going on the twisties Struggeld to stay with him.

:clap :clap :clap :clap Enjoy and ride safe Andy :thumb

I took a Stelvio NTX demonstrator out for an hour a couple of weeks ago, and the low speed fuelling was appalling - the throttle seemed to be on or off with nothing in between. The bike was one of the new models with about 1300 miles on the clock - I thought MG were supposed to have sorted this problem out?
Interestingly, the dealer said the bike had earlier been off the road for a couple of weeks waiting for parts.
Dissappointed as this was my first ride on a Guzzi and I really wanted to like it - it looked great in the showroom (apart from the panniers which stick out way too far).

I took a Stelvio NTX demonstrator out for an hour a couple of weeks ago, and the low speed fuelling was appalling - the throttle seemed to be on or off with nothing in between. The bike was one of the new models with about 1300 miles on the clock - I thought MG were supposed to have sorted this problem out?
Interestingly, the dealer said the bike had earlier been off the road for a couple of weeks waiting for parts.
Dissappointed as this was my first ride on a Guzzi and I really wanted to like it - it looked great in the showroom (apart from the panniers which stick out way too far).

It seems to me that Moto Guzzi are a bit of a marmite brand: you either love them or hate them. As a small, under funded manufacturer they have struggled along making good bikes (and sometimes bad bikes) that guzzi fans understand and love despite the bikes idiosyncrasies because they are mostly nice m/cs with character and heritage. I spent the day at a classic bike show today with 18 other Guzzi owners from Devon and the bikes generate a loyalty like few other brands. I have only had my Cali for a week and after 250 miles on it I am smitten. As long as it keeps going and does not leave me stranded beside the road, it's a keeper. That said, I would not recommend anyone to buy a Guzzi because they are so different and any prospecrive buyer should make their own mind up but I hope Guzzi prosper under their new owners.

Attachments

• calvin2.jpg
    calvin2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 358
I have had the Cali nearly 4 weeks now and covered nearly 700 miles so it is due its first service. The engine is loosening up and it goes well, for some reason the gearbox doesn't like going from 2nd to 1st coming up to junctions, it just goes into neutral but apparently all the Vintages are like that. Hopefully it will become less of a problem as the miles go up. The seat lock appears to have stopped working which I will get fixed with the first service. It corners and stop better than a cruiser has a right to but the main thing is: it's a fantastic motorbike to ride. It really does put a smile on my face. At the end of the day I guess it will take another year or so and a few thousand miles to see its a real keeper but it seems to have the hallmark of an instant classic about it imho.

At least as far as the old bikes go, and i'd include the Vintage here, as thats basically what it is, The more miles they have on them, the better. I suppose I should add "up to a point", but that point is pretty high, probably 150K +.

They reach a point where they develop a sort of fluid, frictionless lope that I've never experienced with any other bike. My le mans has only done about 7K since I rebuilt it, and it's not there yet by some way.

They reach a point where they develop a sort of fluid, frictionless lope that I've never experienced with any other bike.

I have owned my Stelvio now for 7 months , and have loved every minute of riding it. They really are a great machine..
No issues so far. 3500Mls.
Pondering a newer model , maybe a 10 or 11 .

Attachments

• Stelvio .JPG
    Stelvio .JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 264
It seems to me that Moto Guzzi are a bit of a marmite brand: you either love them or hate them. As a small, under funded manufacturer they have struggled along making good bikes (and sometimes bad bikes) that guzzi fans understand and love despite the bikes idiosyncrasies because they are mostly nice m/cs with character and heritage. I spent the day at a classic bike show today with 18 other Guzzi owners from Devon and the bikes generate a loyalty like few other brands. I have only had my Cali for a week and after 250 miles on it I am smitten. As long as it keeps going and does not leave me stranded beside the road, it's a keeper. That said, I would not recommend anyone to buy a Guzzi because they are so different and any prospecrive buyer should make their own mind up but I hope Guzzi prosper under their new owners.

Devon...Heard/read all the tales about Guzzis, but the bottom line is that I don't really KNOW anything about them. One thing that I do know is that your new 'bike looks fantastic and is so so :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Please keep us updated on how you get on with it ......We all want one but are s**t scared of taking the plunge......:thumb

I have owned my Stelvio now for 7 months , and have loved every minute of riding it. They really are a great machine..
No issues so far. 3500Mls.
Pondering a newer model , maybe a 10 or 11 .

Go for it, I swapped my 2009 model for a new NTX with the big fuel tank, the mods to this model have made a great bike even better.

Devon...Heard/read all the tales about Guzzis, but the bottom line is that I don't really KNOW anything about them. One thing that I do know is that your new 'bike looks fantastic and is so so :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Please keep us updated on how you get on with it ......We all want one but are s**t scared of taking the plunge......:thumb

First off - they are easier to learn than getting your head around than BMW Boxers.
As for the getting yer hands dirty end of it - all i've ever needed for both technical tips, tricks and workarounds is the book 'Guzziology' (yes, seriously :blast ).
Apart from that - the well written text even 'holds your hand' and reassures! :comfort
That, shared knowledge (plenty out there feck it- plenty in HERE! ;) ) and Rebootguzzispares.com.
Had mine for 11 years (NEVER kept a Bike that long before :eek: ) and though it now needs a second gearbox :blast at 65k miles - i dont blame the Bike..
In its life so far, it's done far more for me than i ever dreamed of. *

*this post may contain birthday fuelled bollox. :pullface

Last edited:
First off - they are easier to learn than getting your head around than BMW Boxers.
As for the getting yer hands dirty end of it - all i've ever needed for both technical tips, tricks and workarounds is the book 'Guzziology' (yes, seriously :blast ).
Apart from that - the well written text even 'holds your hand' and reassures! :comfort
That, shared knowledge (plenty out there feck it- plenty in HERE! ;) ) and Rebootguzzispares.com.
Had mine for 11 years (NEVER kept a Bike that long before :eek: ) and though it now needs a second gearbox :blast at 65k miles - i dont blame the Bike..
In its life so far, it's done far more for me than i ever dreamed of. *

*this post may contain birthday fuelled bollox. :pullface

......:thumb.......

quite unusual. what's the matter with it?

they are quite fixable IME, though getting some parts is a bit of a struggle.

i thought it was the infamous return spring, but received wisdom tells me it may be a selector fork?
gear lever got sticky and vague over a few days commuting.
Then it decided it only had two gears; 1st and 2nd.
no amount of forward/ backward jiggling of lever and rear wheel gets more gears - that's it.
So, have to strip the 'box and look inside.
i dont fear the job - but dont even have the room to strip it at the mo, never mind the money for parts it might need.
Maybe soon, hopefully. i keep telling meself that! :D

i thought it was the infamous return spring, but received wisdom tells me it may be a selector fork?
gear lever got sticky and vague over a few days commuting.
Then it decided it only had two gears; 1st and 2nd.
no amount of forward/ backward jiggling of lever and rear wheel gets more gears - that's it.
So, have to strip the 'box and look inside.
i dont fear the job - but dont even have the room to strip it at the mo, never mind the money for parts it might need.
Maybe soon, hopefully. i keep telling meself that! :D

hmmm. best have a look inside then.

Just been out for a run this afternoon on mine ( Guzzi 1200 Sport) for 150 miles mostly around Shropshire with Zapada on his KTM990. Went down to Bridgnorth for a lunchtime butty at the railway station cafe, then a very short run to the lovely Cleobury Mortimer Cafe for a slice of lemon meringue pie followed by a non stop run home across Clee Hill to Ludlow, Craven Arms , Shrewsbury, Whitchurch and home just after dark.

The Guzzi couldn't live with the KTM on the bumpy twisty sections like the narrowish more like a B road A529 Nantwich to Audlem section or the B4363 between Bridgnorth and Cleobury Mortimer and was much happier on the faster smoother A49 running towards home.

Trip computer says she averaged 42 mpg for the last 100 miles during which we weren't hanging about for the last 70mls . However, when I filled her up in Bridgnorth earlier in the day she had covered the previous 95 miles on just 7.55 litres which is a scarcely believable 57 miles per gallon . That was a gentle tootle around the B roads of Cheshire a few weeks ago and the fairly steady run to Bridgnorth.

Yet again nothing fell off or broke today . Shes a bit of a heavy old barge that doesnt like changing direction but she has her charms. Need to get the suspension set up properly:thumb

Back
Top Bottom