planning a massive one next year...

joe4550

Reaction score
hi guys im planning on doing one of two trips next year. and have a few questions about both so am wondering if you lot can help me!

1) john o'groats to cape town

problems.... getting my ass killed/ robbed with the major problems of bandits ect over in africa at the min.

fuel problems (geting the right octane can be hard i hear.

and road quality (altho am an a gs adventure so prob not a massive issue

2) uk to mongolia going the very long way round (up through sweden, norway, down through russia and across then down and around europe ect and back)

probs, road quality again,

robbed in russia ect

an generally shitty road quality (i no iv said it twice but its an issue lol)

any input you guys have would be great help

cheers joe

Have look at

http://durban2dublin.blogspot.com/

You would be forgiven for airfreighting your bike from Naples to Sudan to avoid the hassle of the middle east/Egypt carnet etc.

Get upgraded shocks for Kenya!

Don't miss out on Namibia (i.e. turn right after Mozambique or Zambia).

It is easier than you think!

Contact "wilddogs" http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2iiidfv5sq8ln4g3hivju04p63; once you are south of the Equator and I am sure they can help.

My chums tell me Zimbabwe is very welcoming even for Brits! but not sure I'd risk it.

enjoy!!

Don't worry about Russia .... lovely place :thumb

I hope to be back there next year ;)

:beerjug:

hi guys im planning on doing one of two trips next year. and have a few questions about both so am wondering if you lot can help me!

problems.... getting my ass killed/ robbed with the major problems of bandits ect over in africa at the min.

2) uk to mongolia going the very long way round (up through sweden, norway, down through russia and across then down and around europe ect and back)

robbed in russia ect

cheers joe

Loads of life insurance speak to your wife she will know whet to do!!

Loads of life insurance speak to your wife she will know whet to do!!

Nahhh the wife's not a problem, she left me so I spent he house money an sold he ring for the bike lol now just need the money for the trip :thumb2

Although am thinkin now of avoiding Norway ect coz that place is dam expensive!

Nahhh the wife's not a problem, she left me so I spent he house money an sold he ring for the bike lol now just need the money for the trip :thumb2

Although am thinkin now of avoiding Norway ect coz that place is dam expensive!

jeez, in norway drive during the night only, everything is closed and on top you do not have to spend your money on the accomodation, hellooooo...!
:lol:

jeez, in norway drive during the night only, everything is closed and on top you do not have to spend your money on the accomodation, hellooooo...!
:lol:

Lol am camping anyway but campsites r about £20 per night so would prob just free camp somewhere but fuels even more than here ffs:tears

Lol am camping anyway but campsites r about £20 per night so would prob just free camp somewhere but fuels even more than here ffs:tears

that i was about to say, gas will kill ya,
i am planning myself few nights in norway next year, camping as well, but will be more or less a race against the clock. it is a test before 2013 siberia

for next year, bucharest, chisinau, kiev, minsk, talinn, helsinki, norkapp, oslo, trelleborg, lubeck, czech rep., budapest, arad, bucharest. 2 weeks tops.

let me see, for norway... 5 nights, sweden, 1.

here:
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=204300251953385445323.00048ef1fa37247a8d0c2&msa=0

Last edited:

robbed in russia ect

cheers joe

Africa no more problematic than any other long trip. I've only gone to Mali myself but rode with three other guys who went on to South Africa.

http://www.migotravels.de/category/migos-way-down (iffy translation)

http://ridefar.typepad.com/

Only got to the Pamir Highway in Central Asia and encountered no (!!!) insurmountable problems. There are lots of threads on riding to Mongolia and you'd not go far wrong reading Timolgra's groups adventures.

Nordkapp, the Baltics and Russia are an expensive doddle.

Bribes and payments for services are a fact of life the world over. A lot of the time they can be resisted with patience and humour (the people you are dealing with get paid very little and sometimes not at all) but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Only got scammed once in Russia but if you do break the speed limit there's a good chance you'll be caught and fined. They don't discriminate against tourists.

As others have said HU is by far the best source of info.

Good luck with the project. Just do it.

Africa no more problematic than any other long trip. I've only gone to Mali myself but rode with three other guys who went on to South Africa.

http://www.migotravels.de/category/migos-way-down (iffy translation)

http://ridefar.typepad.com/

Only got to the Pamir Highway in Central Asia and encountered no (!!!) insurmountable problems. There are lots of threads on riding to Mongolia and you'd not go far wrong reading Timolgra's groups adventures.

Nordkapp, the Baltics and Russia are an expensive doddle.

Bribes and payments for services are a fact of life the world over. A lot of the time they can be resisted with patience and humour (the people you are dealing with get paid very little and sometimes not at all) but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Only got scammed once in Russia but if you do break the speed limit there's a good chance you'll be caught and fined. They don't discriminate against tourists.

As others have said HU is by far the best source of info.

Good luck with the project. Just do it.

cheeres have joined HU an its a very good resource for most of the stuff i need!

an cheers for the advice guys

joe

if you want, gimmie an email and i will send to you an excel, even with the gas stations i plan to refuel

i'll show you a picture of it:
nordkapp.jpg

if you want, gimmie an email and i will send to you an excel, even with the gas stations i plan to refuel

i'll show you a picture of it:
nordkapp.jpg

now thats a good list iv god a massive folder of stuff im working through!

that excel sheet would be a good addition to it! if you cud send it that would be great. joesaulpotter@gmail.com

cheers joe

FFS :blast

Planning to the nth degree just restricts your trip ... just get some visas, a few maps, pack ya panniers and feck off ;)

Planning to the nth degree just restricts your trip ... just get some visas, a few maps, pack ya panniers and feck off ;)

Reading the exel image does make it look like a thomas cook tourist itinery from hell, where its imperitive to be at a way point at a particular time/day, with no flexability
any chance you have that as a garmin file? We are tempted to take a similar route next year,

cheers
Norway
I have most of the routes listed in the John douglas book The E6 the Arctic highway - Mo I Rana to Kirkenes in mapsource format.
These inc the E6 Mo I Rana to Kirkenes, and the main 6-8 approach routes to/from it via norway, sweden, & finland. However the points of entry onto the E6 are open depending on the way you take (north - south, or south - north), and up to the individual user to work on. however most route starting points are the main ferry ports etc.
However its still in a rough format, and still needs breaking down into an itinery, sensible daily distances, food, fuel, & accomodation stops. But the basic routes are there.
I`m still working of adding the numorous side trips up the route, setting them out on mapsource, but its a winter project to keep me occupied, and may take me a few more weeks of free time to complete.

But if your interested in what mapsource files I do have atm, PM and I`ll send them to you

Reading the exel image does make it look like a thomas cook tourist itinery from hell, where its imperitive to be at a way point at a particular time/day, with no flexability

yeas, this is correct.
i created and set the trip plan guide.
i will have the daily trip expanded and rolled-up on the dash.
i will measure the deviation from the trip and do a complete analysis after.

to remind you that the trip was designed to prove if i am ready enough for the all way round trip for the year after, and show to me what sectors i need to improve (reason i took ukrain and belarus, not too far from main russia, on my mind)
it will be a by-the-clock journey. no visiting, no deviation planned. just ride, eat, small breaks at gas stations and sleep.

good luck to you

now i do agree with that but i still need to plan things like, where to freight the bike from / two as this trip is now going RTW ..... things spiral way from me alot lol an need to plan money, ect ect ect

but as im free camping 90% of places and only have a rough outline on where i want to see ect its still a very free trip

joe

Back
Top Bottom