Mac Book Pro... why?

It was an industry I used to be in (Advertising – for my sins!). I worked on the graphics side (page make-up, photo retouching and composition, illustration etc). I left the industry over 10 years ago (thankfully) so am more than a little out of touch.

Macs were always the industry standard then. However all the software now can be bought for either Mac or PC (Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXpress – although I think InDesign has pushed QuarkXpress off the top spot).
Whilst the platforms (Mac/PC) have become much closer there is still a difference in the software if you tried to use Photoshop on a Mac then a PC. It feels like a different piece of software so not easy to go between the 2.

I would say get a Mac as long term I don't think there will be a lot in it, in cost terms.

Although, I'm sure an aficionado of the PC will be along shortly complete with a spittle flecked screen to let us know we are all fashion victims. :D

Speak to Mad Moose of this parish.

His son is at University doing Architecture and the MAC book was the only thing that would cope with all the design work without falling over. They had is specced at Apple and they did get quite a bit of student discount. It wasn't cheap but I know his son loves it and it does what it says on the tin:thumb

Remember you're paying for the operating system as much as superior hardware.

Will youse lot stop? This is gunna cost me a fortune cos I need one now!

I remember when I'd have been grateful for a set of these:rob

Attachments

• colored-pencils.jpg
    colored-pencils.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 333
Well, I went with swmbo to the Apple Store today. It's full of shiney things that I <STRIKE>need</STRIKE> want.

Came out with a Macbook Pro, the one-one training thingie and a 3 year warranty. Flashed my Student Union card (yes, really) and got £444 off! Total bill of £1460 - glad its not my money!!

So Stepdaughter No. 2 gets a very shiney thing for Christmas. To be fair to her she works hard and has a good work ethic, so she deserves it. :)

Design = mac. No other choice. I have a mac pro from 2006. Still beats the pants of ANY windoze box.

Software available is super for design work and nothing comes close.

So there.

Well, I went with swmbo to the Apple Store today. It's full of shiney things that I <STRIKE>need</STRIKE> want.

Came out with a Macbook Pro, the one-one training thingie and a 3 year warranty. Flashed my Student Union card (yes, really) and got £444 off! Total bill of £1460 - glad its not my money!!

So Stepdaughter No. 2 gets a very shiney thing for Christmas. To be fair to her she works hard and has a good work ethic, so she deserves it. :)

My work here is done :thumb

:rolleyes:

*mutters mutters mutters*

If you really really HAVE to sell your soul to the fanboi base and start wearing red framed glasses, talk like a luvvie and pander the the utterly overpriced, inflexible, niche bollox market that Apple and their borg like zombie clones say you ought, that's fine, but don't go spending anything on their crap software :augie

Just ask in the right direction :thumb

PS she's a ferking teenager...get her an etcha-sketch and tell the beeyatch to be happy she's not paying for her food.

Accomodation.
Transport.
Clothes.
Mobile phone

Oh, and last comment, but probably my most sensible one......Call her tutor, and ask THEM what THEY recommend as the best support computer for her future.

( you can of course utterly ignore their advice if they are wearing any brand labelled clothing not bought from a turkish guy down the market :thumb2)

:blast Too late :rolleyes:

There's nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC, but there are many things you can do on a PC that you cant do on a Mac

SUKKKER!!!!

:blast Too late :rolleyes:

There's nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC, but there are many things you can do on a PC that you cant do on a Mac

SUKKKER!!!!

Aaaaah, but it's the way they do it ;)

"there are many things you can do on a PC that you cant do on a Mac"

Like what? ... and then I ask are those things what I want to be doing? :nenau

:beerjug:

I would say get a Mac as long term I don't think there will be a lot in it, in cost terms.

Although, I'm sure an aficionado of the PC will be along shortly complete with a spittle flecked screen to let us know we are all fashion victims. :D

:rolleyes:

*mutters mutters mutters*

If you really really HAVE to sell your soul to the fanboy base.......

blah blah spittle spittle etc etc .............

Melch - Oh prophet of the UKGSer land :D

David - Nice one :thumb2 Neither you nor she will regret your wise decision.

Aaaaah, but it's the way they do it ;)

"there are many things you can do on a PC that you cant do on a Mac"

Like what? ... and then I ask are those things what I want to be doing? :nenau

:beerjug:

Not at your age Micky :nono

:kissy2

Melch - Oh prophet of the UKGSer land :D

David - Nice one :thumb2 Neither you nor she will regret your wise decision.

Indeed...The hate is strong with this one and I fear his screen is positively dripping!

My next premonition is that he may well call me a wanker. :D

If you really really HAVE to sell your soul to the fanboi base and start wearing red framed glasses, talk like a luvvie and pander the the utterly overpriced, inflexible, niche bollox market that Apple and their borg like zombie clones say you ought, that's fine, but don't go spending anything on their crap software :augie
Yep, you're right, Apple have got the marketing and image thing worked out beautifully. I can see through it, so can you - the next stage is to get Stepdaughter No 2 a job in the apple store so she can see how it works from the inside and learn from it. Then she can get a proper job. ;)

borg like zombie clones say you ought, that's fine
Mac OS X has an installed base of 6%, I'm guessing almost all of the remaining 94% is Windows.

Who's the borg in that scenario?

Back
Top Bottom