Can you polish a turd?

Even still got the triangular exhaust as a nod to the three cylinder, where the K100 had the square one to give a visual clue that it as the four cylinder.

:beerjug:
The standard K75 silencer isn't too bad visually, unlike the pre-16v K100 rectangular monstrosity.

While cleaning it, I found that the header-to-silencer clamp was loose. That would explain the 'gold' patches on the silencer caused by it sucking-in cool air on a closed throttle.

Great bikes the old Ks. You can pick them for next to nothing these days so good choice for reliable cheap wheels. My 75RT is on 102k now so just run in nicely.

The horrible GS-style hand-shields are off already.
Mike,
I'd take them off your hands (sic! :D )
They'd be perfect on my Ratty 'Special K100' :eek

- no hurry though coz i'm skint again. :blast

Mike,
I'd take them off your hands (sic! :D )
They'd be perfect on my Ratty 'Special K100' :eek

- no hurry though coz i'm skint again. :blast
PM me with where to send them and I'll get them in the post early next week.

I tried a PM but your box is full.

I'm clearly becoming part of an old farts gang here as I REALLY, REALLY like this bike (turd colour or in white, I don't mind). I'll add it to my fantasy bike list I'll have in my new garage when I win a big Euro Millions rollover.

Well done Mike, nice one :thumb2

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the old K75S, but I've never seen one in that colour. Looks okay to me :)

I've had two in that colour. One with the black wheels as per Mikes bike, the other with the plain ali K series wheels. :D

The black wheeled bikes usually had the black final drive and swingarm.

The standard K75 silencer isn't too bad visually, unlike the pre-16v K100 rectangular monstrosity.

I've got some K75 silencers, like new. They'll be worth something one day :D

I've had two in that colour.
And I'd always looked to you as an arbiter of good taste. :blast

Steptoe said:
The black wheeled bikes usually had the black final drive and swingarm.
Give me time and it will be black. ;)

One modification that I really want to do is to swap the main stand for the later 16v onwards type (plus the little sub-frame for it of course). I don't suppose you have one kicking about in your Aladin's Cave Neil? :augie (As you're collecting silencers, I'll swap you a brand-new, in the box, 1150 GS/GSA silencer for it )

I got the original spec-sheet for it from Ocean the other day. It's actually a 1987 bike so a whole year newer than advertised. :rolleyes:

I've just got myself a lovely old 1986 K100RT :D :beerjug:

59K miles. The condition of aluminum on the engine/gearbox/final drive and wheels would put a new BMW to shame, and are of the quality BMW used to be renowned for.

Come Neil, post up some photos, don't keep us all in the dark.

As for quality of the finish, I've just given the front wheel a proper clean and considering it's 26 years old, apart from a couple of scratches, it would put most of the current stuff to shame.

K75S-52-M.jpg

The rear I did a week or so ago and if anything it's even better.

K75S-001-M.jpg

The dates show they are the original wheels too.

by the time you've fininished with it mike it will be nigh on showroom condition:beerjug:

didnt look to bad to start with;)

by the time you've fininished with it mike it will be nigh on showroom condition:beerjug:
That might be a while yet.
chad said:
didnt look to bad to start with;)
What the photos don't show is how badly chipped and knocked the two fairing side panels and belly-pan halves are. I was considering a colour change but the tank, side panels and seat surround are in good enough condition to warrant just the tatty bits re-painting. I might have to get used to the colour. :barf

These K75's are never going to be hugely exciting, but as a 'low key' and economical touring bike they're truly excellent :thumb2
Apart from about 10 mph on the top end, they do everything that the two-valve four cylinder K100 does but much more smoothly. The little less weight forward makes them much nicer too.

Your are correct though, excitement isn't really included unless like this one the Fluidbloc steering damper is pharked. I can attest to just how exciting it is to be doing even such an un-exciting speed as 80 mph through a dual-carriageway bend and wondering where it will head next; into the barrier or into the car on your nearside?

Still, the fix is only twenty quid - once you've got it all apart and getting these things apart is so much easier than any other bike I know.

They were largely unloved and ignored in their day because they were seen as the "poor man's" or "entry level" K-Series so finding a relatively good one is getting harder (probably why the previous owner to me went to Germany to bring this one home).

The damage to the Fluidbloc looks old. I'm starting to wonder if the PO sold it because he couldn't work out what was wrong with it (and why the price was attractive too).

The damage to the Fluidbloc looks old. I'm starting to wonder if the PO sold it because he couldn't work out what was wrong with it (and why the price was attractive too).

Sounds plausible... :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom