Hexhead problems

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anyone help me please?!
I have recently purchased (a swap of sorts for my VW Up) a nice R1200GSA MU 2008 model. As was explained very clearly in the ad, the problem with the bike was its inability to hold a tickover when cold, until it warmed up a touch and everything became ‘as per normal’. So, I took the GS to my friendly mechanic on Monday, who did some resets but couldn’t find any relevant fault codes. I then rode another 20 trouble free miles, at which point the bike just died again, but this time whilst hot of course! I might add that she’s been running very well, or had been, whilst riding the 160 odd miles since I collected the bike from Cheltenham last Friday. Furthermore, I swapped the lambda sensors over from my 2007 bike this morning, but the issue persists. It starts on the button but after a few seconds gradually stops running, and with the added aspect of the engine dying whilst hot the other day too, I’m lost for ideas. Can anyone suggest a possible cure, or at least what I should be swapping over from the other bike to try and rule out some parts? When observing the colour of both lambda sensors today, one appeared very uniform ‘light grey’ but the other was a sort of grey with hints of brown! Thanks very much 🙏👍

Not sure if this helps my 05 gs used to stumble stutter and fart like it was missing or breaking down. It cot so bad short runs it was worse to the point it was like there was no fuel in it. I replaced basic simple things for the hell of it. Air filter no change. But a new set of plugs and it was like there was a new engine in it. The wife actually said what did I do to it as it was so smooth and quieter than before.

Thanks. I will certainly fit a new set of plugs as I’ve seen before the difference that can make….however, 99% of the time this machine runs as good as any I’ve ridden, which seems very strange? When it died whilst up to temp the other day, it didn’t even stutter…it just decided to stop! 😡

Could it be something in the fuel tank that periodically blocks the fuel outlet?

Thanks. I will certainly fit a new set of plugs as I’ve seen before the difference that can make….however, 99% of the time this machine runs as good as any I’ve ridden, which seems very strange? When it died whilst up to temp the other day, it didn’t even stutter…it just decided to stop! 😡
Fuel filter Brodie?

Fuel pump controller? Lift it out and check for water below causing a short

A very difficult fault to isolate unless the bloody thing stops !

Also Possible water in tank! Is the filler drain clear?

Reactions: MWH
Thanks all…..I’ll check the controller tomorrow….dont think it can be plugs as it runs to nicely when up to temp….until the other day!!

Fuel pump controller? Lift it out and check for water below causing a short

A very difficult fault to isolate unless the bloody thing stops !

Also Possible water in tank! Is the filler drain clear?
Doc….would a dodgy fuel controller also cause the bike’s inability to fuel sufficiently (apparently, it seems) the cold start phase? Would be great if that’s the was the problem 🤞👍

Could be the main coil sticks have failed or breaking down, very common problem. If it’s been happening for a while and the bike is running on only the secondary coils then those plugs will also start to breakdown, especially as it warms up.

Could be the main coil sticks have failed or breaking down, very common problem. If it’s been happening for a while and the bike is running on only the secondary coils then those plugs will also start to breakdown, especially as it warms up.
Thanks for the knowledge 👍 I best try and swap coils over from my 2007 GSA in the morning 1st perhaps?

I rode 1,500 miles around central France and home again with a failing main coil or both. It started fine and ran fine only on part throttle. Open it up and it bogged down. Could coax it up to almost 80 mph. New main coils and it was perfect again. It never stalled and kept going until I got home.

A fortunate end (hopefully) to my GSA woes……. LHS side fuel (return?) pipe was disconnected! Thanks again for all the suggestions…..I went through everything before stumbling upon this unusual oversight….or was it sabotage 🤔😂

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 43
A fortunate end (hopefully) to my GSA woes……. LHS side fuel (return?) pipe was disconnected! Thanks again for all the suggestions…..I went through everything before stumbling upon this unusual oversight….or was it sabotage 🤔😂
Hopefully you have located the source of the problem (y)

Back
Top Bottom