The Derbyshire peaks run.

Loftylad

Reaction score
Would be glad to guide a few of you lads on a run around the peaks.
Route planned approx 133 miles 4+ hours plus a
couple of stops coffee them lunch.
Looking at Sunday 9th Sept.
Anyone interested let me know and I will post more details.
Cheers Tony.

Would loved to have joined you but got to be in work to cover for my bone idle mate!
Another time defo. :beerjug:

Sorry Wife's birthday, she's very understanding the other fifty one weeks of the year but not the 9th September.

Next time.

Whoops just re-read this and realised this is an on road ride, only got the DRZ here at the mo and it's not geared for tarmac so unless someone fancies leading an off road tour i gotta say no this time :blast. Next time maybe, :thumb2

Cheers Tony.

Sounds good lofty lad...:rob
Will let you know? Would it be ok for a vfr 800?

Put me down as a possible - particularly if you know some roads without 50mph limits...:cool:

bobby bm

Cheers Tony.

hi tony,im new to the site,riding a triumph tiger at the moment,but awaiting
a deal on a gs.Had a 2 test rides 1 gs 1gsa,liked both bikes,need to decide.
If youre planning a ride please send details,i live in rochdale lancs,not far
away,would like to chat to gs owners.Thanks Rob.

Cheers Tony.

"Lads" ?
It is a good job that I am busy washing my hair that day, or I might take offence to not being invited.

The peaks

First of all I must correct one thing
LADS & LASSES all welcome.
Pity your washing your hair Moody.

I will put a list of place names down
shortly .Sorry no garmin maps for you to download.
Also time and start point.
Looking for a back marker if anyones
local to the area.
Cheers Tony.
07411227738 if you need to talk:beerjug:

The route.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

Starting point Glossop the ‘Gateway to the Peak District’
Will meet at 10.00am at The Tasty bite cafe (Victoria Street) A624. Postcode:- SK13 8HT
B6105 will take us through the Longdendale Valley.
Right on to the A628 (Woodhead Road) to Langsett.
Just after Pub turn right onto winding country road ‘little Switzerland’.
Turn right onto A57.
At traffic lights turn left onto A6013 pass over the Ladybower reservoir, famously used buy the Dambusters as their practice site before their daring wartime raids. passing through Bamford.
Right onto A6187 to Hathersage. Mythical tradition has it that ‘Little John’, one of Robin Hoods merry men was born here. After his outlaw adventures he returned to the village to die. His gravestone is found in the village church !!
B6054 to Owler Bar over open moorland 1246ft above sea level.
A621 to Baslow situated beside the River Derwent between the limestone of the white peak and the gritstone of the dark peak.
B6012 to Rowsley goes through Chatsworth Estate. The palatial great house was built late 1600 for the 1st Duke of Devonshire William Cavendish and still remains in the same family. The house and gardens are open to the public and the vast estate is run as a successful business.
B5056 to Grangemill
Turn right onto the A5012 travelling down the Via gella to:-
Cromford. Known as ‘one of the cradles of the industrial revolution’. It is linked with entrepreneur Sir Richard Arkwright who in 1771 established the 1st successful water powered cotton mill there. He also built a new community to attract workers and when he died his forfune was estimated at £500,00.
B5023 to Wirksworth
B5035 to Ashbourne ‘the Gateway to Dovedale’ passing Carrsington water a popular leisure spot.
A515 to Fenny Bentley
B5056 to Grangemill turn left :-
A5012 to Newhaven turn right just before fuel station passing through Youlgreave to:-
Bakewell an old medieval town. Its 14th century gothic bridge crossing over the River Wye is still in use today. Also famous for its Bakewell puddings (an aquired taste but not to be confused with the tart!!) Created in 1860 when a hotel cook fluffed her pie making instructions.
A6 to Ashford in the Water a pretty little village with ancient origins underpinned by its presence in the Domesday book.
Monsal Head this is a spectacular point to stop for a brew and to view the Monsal valley, viaduct and trail which follows the course of the old Midland Railway line from Bakewell to Buxton.
Return to A6 Turn right.
B6049 to Tideswell, in its day was a large market and lead mining centre with a big community, this lead to the construction of its large imposing but impressive church, nicknamed the ‘Cathedral of the Peak’.
Cross the A623 to Bradwell at T junction turn left passing through Hope to:-
Castleton, at the head of Hope valley is surrounded by steep hills and rolling moors. It sits at the foot of Mam Tor ‘the shivering mountain’ named due to its constantly crumbling layers. Famous for blue john stone extracted from its caves and caverns.
Winnits Pass, a steep winding route out of Castleton climbing 1300ft though a narrow gorge hemmed in by limestone cliffs, rumoured to be haunted at night!! Turn right at top of pass.
2nd right over Barber Booth, passing through Edale the starting point for the Pennine Way, linked to the right of access campaign leading to the mass trespass on Kinder Scout in 1932. Returning to:-
Hope turn left on to the A6187
Turn left at light passing through Bamford , turn left onto the;-
A57 the Snake Pass … Enjoy!!
Glossop

Fingers crossed for good weather.

....... practice site before their daring wartime raids. passing through Bamford.
Right onto A6187 to Hathersage.

Left my son....LEFT.

:thumb

Nice route but one I do very regularly so I'll pass on this one.

Have a good un.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom