ANYBODY HAD A TRANSALP?

dogman

Reaction score
Been looking at a possible second bike to hack around on. Don't want speed or power just comfort, reliability and economy. I cant see anything not to like yet with it yet but would value opinions of anybody who has experience? :confused:

One of the top 3 bikes I've ever had and will probably have another one day. Superb for commutimng, b-roads, green laens and touring. I took mine through France into Spain and it never ever missed a beat and was a joy to own. You wont regret it:rob

I had a 700 and found it a great all year round bike, comfortable, reliable, economical, and sweet handling. Build quality was not as good as I would have liked with corrosion to spokes and mirror stems. Find a clean one and you can't go wrong:thumb

I had a 54plate 650. great bike,good pulling engine,easy to ride, seat is ok. Not the best looking bike. imho.

Do you want views on the 600, 650 or 700cc version?

It was the 700 I am interested in. Honda are doing 0% over 3 years at the mo which is very tempting or may go for nice 3-4 years old jobby.

i brought a new 600 in 1997, lovely bike and was looking at one two years ago as a second bike.

Ive had about 10 "second" bikes in the past 4 years and the best without a doubt.........gulp, is my 400cc bergy scooter

My wife has a 2001 650.

As a piece of machinery it is about as good as it gets. It's had very little use in the last 2 years due to our little un arriving, but charge the battery and it starts every time without fail.

It'll cruise at 75-80, does 50mpg and is a great bike for road and trail.

A little bit bland to ride, but at the same time it does the job brilliantly and is very predictable. Lets you know well in advance that you are trying too hard :thumb

Yeah had one too and it was great for commuting especially in the winter where the soft power delivery was great on crappy slimy roads !

Just a bit underpowered in good weather on long runs but a great bike all the same.

I had an '08 Transalp XL700V. Bought second hand on eBay for £3.5k with 5k miles on the clock. It was a great bike, and my first proper one really. Comfy, upright, wide bars, easy to ride. The only reason I got rid of it was that it is woefully underpowered, and was I getting frustrated on tours with my pals as they had more powerful bikes. Not necessarily top speed, but always felt I was having to work it quite hard, and the lack of a 6th gear was annoying. Never quite understood why Honda did that. The linked-ABS was good though. I think they're made in Spain, and I've read some reports that the build quality is not up to that of other Honda models. Mine was OK on this front.

I have a 650 transalp as a spare bike, had one before never missed a beat
It is quite a decent wee bike , i Have been using it for camping trips in Scotland
You can make quite good progress on it but it aint a rocket ship, its fine for normal riding but if you are mixing it with the 1000/ 1200 cc big trailies you will have to wring it to keep up

Ran a 700 for a year.

Did everything that I would want a 'bike to do...Fast enough for me, cruising at 90 odd MPH all day long, and had that lovely Honda V twin 'just tickedy boo...never blow up' feel. Brilliant on fuel, starts on the button, first time every time. The ABS was brilliant (and I'm not really an ABS fan....I bought a brand new GS in 2006.... My spec' no ABS) The finish was an issue, particularly on the spokes, but not the end of the world.The Honda luggage was really crap....It may be made by Givi or whoever, but it was much worse than any of the Givi luggage that I have had before (plenty)...Seriously, DON'T buy the Honda luggage.

If it had the BMW spoked wheels, that don't corrode (mine didn't) but do allow tubeless tyres, then I reckon I would still be running it.

Dead easy to sell n'all....

Definitely a good 'bike.....Just my opinion.......:)

I looked at one with a rounded off output gear shaft. Seems to be a common fault. Pattern sprockets ?
Google it and have a word with Dave silver.

I looked at one with a rounded off output gear shaft. Seems to be a common fault. Pattern sprockets ?
Google it and have a word with Dave silver.

It's a rare issue - caused by running the chain too tight.

Although not scientifically proven - owners who run an OE Honda front sprocket with the rubber cush pad on it don't seem to suffer.

It's quite a straightforward job to replace the mainshaft - about £200 for parts.

My brother runs one of the current 700 Transalps - and the only issue I can see is that the spokes seem to be made of cheese straws...........so I'll be popping a set of stainless spokes into his otherwise unmarked rims.

V Strom

May be worth looking at a V strom as an alternative, I have 2 mates with them who love em.

I had a 650 alp, thought it was ace til I got a GS.

Back
Top Bottom