Honda CRF250L versus the rest (WR250R)

adyb

Reaction score
Hi all,

have almost decided to buy a CRF250L for nipping about and some gentle lanes, nothing silly. Mostly decision based on price, but is this a short sighted decision....have looked at KTM 250's, but at £6500, its difficult to justify for the use it will get (no competitions or such like)...then there is the WR250R which has a good following, but looking at side by side stats, again, doesn't offer much more overt he honda...

All in all, will the honda be like the honda's of old, or is this a cheap immitation of what once was ?

all advice gratefully received, especially those with actual experience of both.

last thing, looking for as new as i can as i am no mechanic !!

would need electric start...does the /has the XR250 got this ? I used to have an XR400 a few years ago, truly great bike but a bugger to kick start sometimes, normally just when you are in a rush !!

How much is a CRF250L?:nenau

Under £4k iirc...... had a look at one in Bruxelles last week, very nice, and with a little work shaving it down, it would be a great trail bike. But it isn't an enduro, but again it will make a great trail bike....keeping riding it whilst the jaffa-shite is getting their oils changed.;)

KTM's are very service intensive and therefore costly if you can't or won't do it yourself

How much is a CRF250L?:nenau

£3995 OTR or thereabouts

Some XR250's (imports) have leccy start

Mine usually starts within 3 kicks, hot/cold or dropped and therefore i'm not bothered about leccy start - more to go wrong and if you're down a boggy lane and your battery goes flat, what you gonna do then

best price so far was £3650 for a brand new bike, on the road !! its quite tempting, and test drive didnt throw up any issues either......the only nagging doubt is cost versus longevity. I would like to think they have priced it keen to make their mark on the market....

£3995 OTR or thereabouts

Some XR250's (imports) have leccy start

Mine usually starts within 3 kicks, hot/cold or dropped and therefore i'm not bothered about leccy start - more to go wrong and if you're down a boggy lane and your battery goes flat, what you gonna do then

There again my XR250 was fine if it stayed upright, but lay it down and then try and start it, and try, and try ..............

I run a CRF230 nowdays, electric boot, light, secondhand say £1500 ish.

I have been offered a 2004 TTR250R for just a little over £1000, 2004 bike, only down side is it uses oil every ride (no smoke though and no effect on performance)...again, I am no mechanic so it is a worry....

Make sure you get a bash plate had a look at them before Christmas and you really need to spend a few hundred quid to get it ready for the lanes as very little protection:augie also when I looked they didn't have any real accessories and was told to have a look at the Thai websites for aftermarket prices

Ps 144kgs for a 250 fine on road big lump to pick up:blast

I have been offered a 2004 TTR250R for just a little over £1000, 2004 bike, only down side is it uses oil every ride (no smoke though and no effect on performance)...again, I am no mechanic so it is a worry....

I had one of them, did that, smoke on starting and then clear for the rest of the day.

Valve guides I believe.

Valve seals are pretty cheap to replace

can I ask, what do you think it would cost to sort this out, and maybe give the bike a general overhaul and a new battery...if I had to pay someone else to undertake this ? would an overhauled 2004 TTR250 be a better bet at £1000 plus servicing costs than a brand new CRF250L ? subjective I know, but I want to try and get this right !!

Ps 144kgs for a 250 fine on road big lump to pick up:blast

Yep, true

The CRF250L is a weighty beast at 144kg (is that wet?)

My XChallenge weighs 144kg dry + fuel and oil, comes in at 154kg - so only 10kg more for a 650cc

My XR250 is 109 kg dry and with fuel and oil is less than 120kg, so a 24kg weight penalty for the CRF250L is going some:eek:

can I ask, what do you think it would cost to sort this out, and maybe give the bike a general overhaul and a new battery...if I had to pay someone else to undertake this ? would an overhauled 2004 TTR250 be a better bet at £1000 plus servicing costs than a brand new CRF250L ? subjective I know, but I want to try and get this right !!

Well to do the valve guides seals, service and battery (you can do that yourself), from a good fashioned bike mechanic/shop - it should be less than £250-£300

Yep, true

The CRF250L is a weighty beast at 144kg (is that wet?)

My XChallenge weighs 144kg dry + fuel and oil, comes in at 154kg - so only 10kg more for a 650cc

My XR250 is 109 kg dry and with fuel and oil is less than 120kg, so a 24kg weight penalty for the CRF250L is going some:eek:

More weight bollocks....... ffs!:blast

Back
Top Bottom