Windows 8 any good or avoid ?

The really wankbucket new interface might be on the way out, seems a new version of Win 8 is scheduled for this year, called Blue.

The really wankbucket new interface might be on the way out, seems a new version of Win 8 is scheduled for this year, called Blue.

How many new product disasters is MS going to produce before the public demand something else. Every new intro. is a mess needing a massive revamp to make it acceptable.

And folk on this forum complain about BMW using owners as beta testers? Hah.

Run Linux, Open Office and raise a digit or two to MS.

Just went thru a change to win8 as my old viao fell to bits (again-shoddy shiet) I got a works discount laptop as replacement, no option but win8 and its a bit eeeek!!! but then after years of use from windows thru 98 xp, vista and 7 (and bits inbetween) the old familiarity I had with my PC is lost. Alledgely you cant install iTunes (well not as an "app") though a bit of fudging got it installed in win7 compatibility mode and it seems to be working from the desktop (App?!) . I've a copy of win7 I could load if needed but trying 8 for a while first, next step is see if I can restore mapsource and maps! backed up from my win7 machine (I suspect compatibility mode is needed again)

Just replaced my 7 Year old HP Compaq Laptop with a Samsung 3 Series with Windows 8. Got it from PC World (I felt "looked after" by the Sales Staff) and paid extra for the Walk Out Working Service.
Got Home, switched it on and could not make Top nor Tail of it. Gave up. Tried again Yesterday, Ditto.
Went to W H Smith and bought a Book, had a read and actually made it this far. So much stuff on the PC that I've no interest in or intention of using. Problem undoubtedly lies with me as I rail against any sort of change.
As long as I can get my Forums, Websites etc, i'll be fine. I might even figure out how to Nuke the other "stuff"

Dave@Luddite .com :rob

It is definitely something that needs patience!

Don't forget those magic keystrokes (which have always been in Windows as far back as I can remember!) of the Windows key (left of the spacebar) and the 'D' key at the same time to get back to the Desktop. Cuts out a lot of farting around! I also still use 'Alt' + 'Tab' a lot to move through programmes.

Windows 8

Swmbi got a new comp last year with 7 on it, brilliant not a lot different from XP so I brought one, got W 8!! got used to it but it is meant for tablets and phones but having just seen the earlier post about the shell site converting back to W7 looks like the way to go.

I've got windows 8. But changing back to windows 7. Tried for a couple of months but just can't get on with it.!!

Could you tell us the name of your local computer store please?

And I hate w8. It's taken me nearly 3weeks to get it the way I want it. That stupid garish tile screen pops up randomly for some reason. And my 'phone's sync software will not work. Thanks HTC - they are not going to update their program to work with w8. The free Shell program has saved me.

The local computer store I use is Novatech, and they sell laptops and PCs with or without an operating system installed. You could buy a bare laptop and load your own OS. I'd also recommend a solid state drive, I have used Samsung 840 series SSD in two home PC and they are on a cash back deal this month at approved suppliers including Novatech.With cash back my 250GB cost me £115 inc vat. Transforms how my PC boots and runs, worth every penny.

I have got 8 its easy peasy :nenau

You get two screens anyhow and with the windows button you can swap between normal desk top or the tiled apps.

Apps are just a modern way and linking with smart phones styley. you can see live feeds in the tiles.

Opted out of the touch screen PC :cool

I like it :thumb :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom