Advice from off road Gods sought please.

Melch

Reaction score
So, my travelling chum and myself had a brainwave today. We decided this year we fancied shoving a couple of trailies in the back of my van and driving down to Portugal with them, unloading them and then buggering off across country (off road) for a few days.

Thing is we have both got an R100GS (too big for what we want to do) and other assorted unsuitable bikes. We both fancied buying a small trailie for the job. What would those with more experience than I recommend?

The criteria would be:
Probably £2-3K max.
Ability to strap minimal camping gear on.
Road legal.
My off-road experience is minimal (a little but not a lot). My mate is competent (i.e. better than me).
A full on pogo probably not suitable as we will be on the bikes all day and are not aiming for any heroics.

We wondered about DR350, XR250/400 or bikes of a similar ilk. Any advice/opinions would be most gratefully received. :beerjug:

DRZ400s can be had for little money and would most likely suit your needs :thumb2

however im not an offroad god so am not qualified to comment :hide:D

TTR 250 both get the same

+1, stonking bike, super reliable, simple, easy to fix and best of all....an absolute hoot to throw down the dirt :thumb2

Don't be drawn in to big engines, if it'll do 70mph, it's fast enough. Light on fuel and light in weight are your best friends when trailing. My 450 Berg is great, 8-10 hour service intervals aren't if you are out to go cross country for a few days riding :thumb

Be wary of non electric start. Kicking at the lever when you are roasting hot ain't much fun. XR's are a notorious bastard to get going when hot IIRC. Having said that, always make sure that the bike has a kick start also because electrics can go wrong and relying on bump starts ain't good if you stall it on a tricky uphill section :D

XR 250, more than adequate for what you want and in my experience are not notoriously difficult to start (hot or cold).:p

Be wary of non electric start. Kicking at the lever when you are roasting hot ain't much fun.

XR's are a notorious bastard to get going when hot IIRC.

XR250's are fine, they have an auto decompressor and also a manual one, if you drop the bike and it floods (pull the decomp lever in, kick it through 5 times, release and start normally)

XR250 is easy to start, if regularly and correctly maintained;) (valves/plug/carb jets/ waterproofed plug cap & lead/clean airfilter) - mine starts 2nd kick from cold, even after being stood for 2 months and always 1st kick when hot

Never had a problem with 5 XR250's I've owned - stunning trailbikes

XR250's are fine, for your intentions - light and rugged,

But the TTR 250 is also a good choice, but check the starter mechanism - they have an appetite for sprag clutches and starter gears, IIRC and are heavier than the XR equivalent

Attachments

• XR250 Aug 2012 002.jpg
    XR250 Aug 2012 002.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 359
Thanks everyone, food for thought. Much appreciated :beerjug:

Dont discount the suzuki dr250, electric start and reasonable money, I picked one up with full mot, 8000 mile two owner for £800.

Dont discount the suzuki dr250, electric start and reasonable money, I picked one up with full mot, 8000 mile two owner for £800.

Same as the 350, ace bikes. Had a kickstart 250, did about 75mpg :D

buy an xt600e

and ride all the way there, do your off road and ride back.
Long range tanks,pannier racks,and sump guards all available.leccy boot too, and 81mpg.well pleased with mine,Pat my boy rode it at the weekend from kent to the STD and back 569 miles in a weekend, no probs, didnt even burn any oil.:D

Use your GS and take it easy. :D

That is what it was made for. ;)

Ttr250 every time, easy to maintain, 150 from a tank. Good seat, electric start every time. £1750.00 what's not to like.

Back
Top Bottom