Help me identify a rattle...

You may have two or more issues, one the gearbox has a bit of slop that causes a rattle when the bike is cold and ticking over more slowly and two, the bike may need valves, rocker end float and throttle position sensor setting up properly. This will make the bike run much more smoothly and reduce the rattling in the gearbox.

If Steptoe says it's gearbox rattle you can wager the lives of your loved ones that it is gearbox rattle.

Try and attend a meeting of UKGSers who also have or had 1150's, they will soon put your mind at rest as to how bad it sounds. Of course they will probably try and wind you up, instilling fear of imminent mechanical doom first :D

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Well my bike conked out due to a flat battery. The alternator is putting out 8.5 volts. I take the cover off and after charging the battery start the bike up. The rattle is coming directly from this area. I can't see any play in the spindle. To save me unnecessary work, any hints and tips for getting the alternator off the bike for examination would be much appreciated. I am glad the rattle is not the main bearings or the gearbox!!

Well Mr Steptoe replaced my alternator only to find it was a borked wire that was the problem. He also insisted (and I believe him) that the rattle is definitely emanating from the gearbox. I am dealing with this by ignoring it. Gear change is slick. No jumping out of gear. Bike up to 90,000 miles now. :)

What age is your 11GS... Gearboxes came in two flavours, M94 and M97... (Don't think M93's were fitted to GS's??)... I will make a difference to the internals of the gearbox and what wears and when... The changeover was (obviously) 97ish...:rolleyes:

Mine is a M97.

Might just be mileage wear then with the box needing a rebuild at some point... 97's had the closed bearings and wear out eventually... 94's had the open bearings and had slightly more spectacular moments when alloy fragments jam in the open taper bearings...

As with all tings BM gearbox wise... rebuilds need doing at some point but the reasons why and the ensuing damage can vary a fair bit...:augie

have you balanced the vacuum's lately - a long shot - but if they are out a lot you'll get uneven pulses jiggying the gears around.

mine has an air leak on the spindle of one and rattles both the injector body and the gearbox

i should order a spindle repair kit i suppose

Back
Top Bottom