SW Motech Dakar soft panniers

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking about luggage options for my 12GSA LC, I didn't spec panniers for this bike reasoning that I've only ever used full luggage on previous bikes 3 or 4 times a year and thought maybe a change to a more disciplined "travel light" policy might be the way to go, for a long weekend or maybe longer I'm pretty sure I could manage with just the top box and small tank bag I already have as long as it's not a camping weekend or longer duration trip. When camping with the bike I've always preferred to remove the top box and strap the tent and chair etc. across the back of the bike and pack all the other gear in the panniers, options become more limited when you remove the top box and have no panniers, and for the longer trips to Europe say 10 days or so more space might be useful.........
The price of a pair of Ali panniers plus lock kit set me thinking and looking for alternatives at a more reasonable price, I found these;

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=140735747720433&ls=en&nc=1407357477-20433&rubnum=products.1252674507.1377681302&artnum=BC.HTA.07.741.10000/B&id=6&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--products.1252674507.1377681302&typid=150598753

I ordered them Tuesday evening and they arrived in today's mail, they appear well made, look like they'll be easy to fit and come with a full fitting kit and instructions, I'll fit them tomorrow and give them a try out in a week or two prior to a 10 day Euro jaunt in September.
Anyone else on here using these bags?
Not as secure as a metal pannier obviously, I wouldn't leave the bike loaded and these bags packed with my worldly's for long periods but that aside they may just fit the bill for what I want.

http://youtu.be/o6Dz9dCBewQ

We would like pics:D

Coming up.................

They look pretty cool and certainly look to have sufficient storage. Are the frames included in the price?. I don't think I would like to be a pillion sitting on those cross straps tho. Could they not go under the seat? I also like the look of the Wolfman panniers that afix to a frame.http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/rocky-mountain-saddle-bags
Richie

Yes the frames and mounting hardware are included in the price, I didn't check whether the strap will go under the seat but will do so next time I put the bags on the bike, from my pics I think the strap may well fit under the seat, the Wolfman stuff looks good, I think these bags may fit my requirements.

The fitting;
First job-remove the existing GSA pannier frames;
CA_08071414463616-L.jpg

Fit the SW Motech pannier frames (supplied with the bags) in to the same mounting points as the OEM frames, new bolts and spacers also supplied;
Right
CA_08071414463104-L.jpg

and left
CA_08071414463360-L.jpg

Time to fit the bags, each bag has a moulded plastic mounting frame, to fit the bag is raised onto the pannier frame until an audible click is heard and the plastic locator engages at the top of the mount on the pannier frame upper rail, easy :thumby:
CA_08071414462776-L.jpg

With both bags fitted velcro straps from each bag is passed over the pillion seat and stuck together, I didn't try to attach the velcro straps under the pillion seat so don't know for sure if the securing straps will work under the pillion seat but from my pics it seems it may, it's not a consideration for me but will try this next time the bags are on the bike.
CA_08071414462185-L.jpg

Both bags fitted
CA_08071414462185-M.jpg

CA_08071414462469-L.jpg

The SW Motech pannier frames minus the bags don't look too bad on the bike :thumby:
CA_08071414461662-M.jpg

The pannier frames, fixtures and fittings were included in the price, the bags are double skinned, the inner waterproof bag is secured to the outer by full length velcro strips along the aperture of the outer bags, the bags are closed by closing the velcro and rolling the top of the bag down (two rolls are recommended) and securing straps at either end and a further strap across the centre.
I have yet to put these bags to use but was pleased with the quality*, the instructions and speedy delivery and hope to put them to the test soon.....

* The plastic mouldings could possibly have been finished better, mine had some very sharp edges which could cause a nasty cut, I smoothed the edges down with a little emery paper.

The inner cut outs of the plastic mouldings had sharp edges in the exact place you would lift them from when installing or un-installing :comfort
CA_08071414462776-L.jpg

One last thing.......I got these new from e-bay, the seller listed them with a "buy it now" price or "make best offer", I made an offer-they made a counter offer and I accepted making a useful saving :thumby:

I came across these a few weeks ago and really liked the look of them. I contacted SW-Motech and asked if they would be doing a version for the pre LC GS/A. Unfortunately they stated that they had no plans to do so. Given the range of bikes that these are available for this seems a very strange decision with
with the number of pre 2013 GSs on the road. :nenau

I came across these a few weeks ago and really liked the look of them. I contacted SW-Motech and asked if they would be doing a version for the pre LC GS/A. Unfortunately they stated that they had no plans to do so. Given the range of bikes that these are available for this seems a very strange decision with
with the number of pre 2013 GSs on the road. :nenau

Strange marketing strategy :blast

I've been looking for something to replace the Varios(weigh a tonne even without clothes), these may fit the bill. :thumb2

They could be secured with a couple of small "Pacsafe" meshes. :nenau

I've been looking for something to replace the Varios(weigh a tonne even without clothes), these may fit the bill. :thumb2

They could be secured with a couple of small "Pacsafe" meshes. :nenau

Good shout on the Pacsafe meshes, although I'm struggling to think of an occasion over many years when I've left my bike anywhere out of my sight or in full view of passers by whilst fully loaded.

What is the overall width, they look to be rather wide?

I don't know, is the answer to your question, next time I am at the garage I will measure them, if I remember...........;)
No wider than the Ali panniers is my best guess, the bags are empty in the pics which may make them look wider than they are, I think with some sort of load in them and the tops rolled down tightly and the straps tensioned they may take on their true shape and form.

What is the overall width, they look to be rather wide?

Just under a metre is the answer, and the velcro strap which attaches over the pillion seat can be made to fit under the pillion seat, will give them a try out this weekend at the Cotswolds do.

I already measured my varios and closed(not extended) they are 850mm wide, handlebars approx 1000mm.

Sounds comparable with the varios............ although the LHS DAKAR looks as though it could be a lot tighter to the bike.

Do they just do green bags, or are there other options?

Got my panniers but they sent frames for a Triumph Explorer.
Are they trying to tell me something?

Now got the correct pannier / brackets and fitted. Not too secure with just that plastic clip located.

Added some tie straps to secure the panniers further.

Sorry to resurrect the thread but can these not be fitted to the standard frames on a gsa? Just seen them today and google threw up this thread.

Now got the correct pannier / brackets and fitted. Not too secure with just that plastic clip located.

Added some tie straps to secure the panniers further.

I know what you mean, when I packed the bags with sleeping bag, roll mat and camping gear the bags distorted slightly and made them feel less than secure, I too added a couple of Rock straps for peace of mind but with the over the seat Velcro strap fastened I don't think they were about to fall off, on the flipside with the Dakar bags loaded with only clothing packed in Kriega KS40 pannier bags the Dakar bags didn't distort at all and looked and felt secure, The Kriega bags fit inside the Dakar pannier bags a treat by the way :thumby:

Sorry to resurrect the thread but can these not be fitted to the standard frames on a gsa? Just seen them today and google threw up this thread.

No they won't fit the OEM GSA pannier frames the pics should explain why, the bags are supplied with replacement rails anyway :confused:

Soft pannier frames--

Decided they hung far too far out from the side of the bike, took an angle grinder to them and lopped off about 35mm from each frame leg.:eek:

Cleaned up the 'new' ends and chamfered them to an appropriate angle (so the panniers would point at the hand grips), got them welded / repainted. :thumb2

Refitted to the bike and IMO they look much better with the panniers closer in to the bike, (same clearance on the silencer). :thumb2:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom