New motorcycle MOT procedure in Northern Ireland started today

iBiker

Reaction score
I had 2 bikes up for MOT today, a 1997 Honda CB 500 and a 2003 Honda 100cc scooter. ON arriving at Mallusk MOT centre I was informed that the new procedure had gone live today and there were several "official observers" watching the events. So here is what happened:

1 Both bikes were given the usual checks as before, i.e. tyres, fork seals, wheel bearings, chain, levers, switches, headlamp alignment, lights, signals, looking for loose or worn parts etc, etc, etc. It seemed to be more comprehensive than usual but that might have been because the "observers" were present. At that point I was advised that the scooter was finished and would not be doing the new tests, one down one to go.

2 The CB 500 was then checked for wheel alignment and then I was asked if I wanted to take it onto the rollers or did I want a member of MOT staff to do it. The CB500 is a small and relatively light weight bike so I decided to give it a go. I rode the bike further into the test lane to a new bike roller that has been installed. Just in front of the roller there is a large raised plate, which weighs the relative weight on the wheel before going into the roller so as to adjust the calibration. then it was front wheel in and right foot on the rear brake to stop the bike jumping when applying front brake in roller. This was tricky as the foot position on the left was the edge or the raised weigh plate. Front braking was then tested several times and you could feel the bike front end moving but not violently. This procedure was then repeated on the rear wheel, and again with only one foot on the ground as the other was required to operate the rear brake. Bit more tricky this time as the bike starts to slide to the right slightly in the roller. I then had to continue through the lane to the rear and exit there.

A few observations/information:
I had already removed my helmet and was not asked to put it on for the roller test.
The left had side of the roller has a vertical stop to stop the bike sliding out to the left, however with only your left foot down the bike is always going to slide to the right as the weight angle and weight is to the left.
The polished floor inside a MOT centre can be mighty slippery, especially if your footwear is wet.
The scooter was deemed unsuitable for the rollers due to its tiny wheel size
I was asked if the bike had ABS or anti lock brakes before testing
I enquired if the scooter was exempt was else was, they told me "vintage" bikes but could not be more specific in terms of age, also no exact details of scooter/moped wheel size etc.

Overall it wasn't too painful though I do imagine that we will have to pay for the "extra" checks no doubt, also I am not sure this would have been the same relatively easy experience on a much heavier/taller bike such as a GSA.

For info and your comments

David, I read the start of this and had to stop twice when I got to the bit about brake rollers. I am feeling ill thinking about it.
I got a letter yesterday telling me my bike requires its first MOT in November.
It's a GSA with aftermarket suspension which is taller than the standard GSA. I'm literally beyond my tip toes when stationary.

Bike has 19000 miles and never been on its side, but I'm not prepared to ride it through a roller test...... My car did it last Friday and that was fine, because balance wasn't an issue.

As you know, I'm not a novice rider, but I am not prepared to risk injury to myself or damage to my bike during this test.

Lastly..... On previous experience of MOT tests, don't think I'd be happy letting any of their testers ride my pride and joy!

"Edit". And Mallusk is my local test centre.... Oh Joy!

Why worry - or care?

As you know, I'm not a novice rider, but I am not prepared to risk injury to myself or damage to my bike during this test.

Lastly..... On previous experience of MOT tests, don't think I'd be happy letting any of their testers ride my pride and joy!

It's only a piece of mass produced metal (mostly)

Opt for them to do it.
If they drop it, they have to repair or replace it.
It's not your problem.
It is one created by a bureaucrat too stupid to recognise the consequences of his actions.
Once they have repaired enough bikes at infinite cost, they will figure out that the idea is a mistake and drop it.
Myke

Has NI not had a roller brake test before?

I'm sure the other parts of UK have been using a roller brake test for a while

However I stand corrected, if I've got the wrong end of the stick

Mike, you're correct, it is only a piece of metal, but it is MY piece of metal.

The last time someone drove into the back of me and caused damage to my BMW GSA it was repaired at great expense by Northern Ireland's only BMW dealer.

My attitude changed towards the bike and was instantly different.... I didn't want it, it was flawed.

I sold the bike before I had even picked it up after repair. (glad I did, due to the battery box not being secured, rear light being wired wrong and not working for 3 months before the new owner twigged the wires were wrong way round...... But that's a different thread)

If they damage it, I know they will fix it, but I shouldn't have to endure or witness this.

Johnny, no they never had a roller brake test in N.I. before. Testers stood beside bike and did a push test to ensure front brake worked and sat on bike to test rear brake.

They only made sure the brake worked but didn't test the braking force.

As for cars and larger vehicles, the test is in my opinion more strict than the rest of UK.

MOT is only conducted by a Gov agency at some, but not all of the Driving Test centres, using some very expensive, state of the art equipment. There are very few MOT centres and tests are not carried out by regular mechanics. They are now Civil Servants who have been often recruited from dealerships.

Generally good guys, but it's not like I'm giving the bike to my BMW dealership and asking a guy who's familiar with the bike to carry out a test on it..

I see

We've had the Roller test for a while in the bike dealers, which are MOT Testers

No drama, seems to work fine here on all sizes and shapes of bkes

Many of the testers have never ridden or owned a bike here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do (at the moment) allow a percentage to go through the test without the roller test being carried out. But only if you, as the owner, refuse to do the test and they, the examiner, decides not to test the bike either due to certain circumstances (like the tester is a short-arse and can't safely straddle the bike and get his feet down).

I have friends in test centres who I would trust to do the test then there are the arseholes who I wouldn't even let blow up my tyres

Frankly with the tall suspension on my GS they'll have bother getting someone tall enough to ride it through If they drop it they better have a team of buddies and a first aider there pretty damn quick because I will kick the fcuk clean out of them!

Also as a by the by Steve (Betty Swollocks) If your bike has ABS ask them if they have the equipment to clear the fault codes generated when the system sees one wheel turning but not the other and then refuse the test if that equipment is not available

I gather from the tester guy in Newry that they won't have dedicated motorcycle brake test rollers but some sort of frame made up to adapt the car rollers to test bikes. The same wee man that tested my bike lately confirmed what Davy F says above in that there is no compulsion on you the rider to conduct the test and if the tester is too small then he can choose not to undertake the test either. He did say though that he could ask the centre manager to take the roller test. I'd love to see any of them try it on my GS which like Stevies is much higher than standard.

I gather from the tester guy in Newry that they won't have dedicated motorcycle brake test rollers but some sort of frame made up to adapt the car rollers to test bikes. The same wee man that tested my bike lately confirmed what Davy F says above in that there is no compulsion on you the rider to conduct the test and if the tester is too small then he can choose not to undertake the test either. He did say though that he could ask the centre manager to take the roller test. I'd love to see any of them try it on my GS which like Stevies is much higher than standard.

Like your style Aiden.

If it's an option I'd happily hand my pride and joy over to the expert examiner, otherwise known as the centre manager. (Sadly, I noticed last week in car MOT that cameras are prohibited)

If there's any info out there to support the theory of the boss riding the bike, I'd genuinely evoke it.

Then sue his ass off when he bins my beloved.

Re Dr F's post. I agree, there are a few capable testers who know their way about our bikes. But in general, like every other section of Norn Iron public service, the rest have very little knowledge or true experience in their so called areas of expertise.

To re-iterate for our English watchers, this is not a bike mechanic at my local dealership conducting a test, but a Civil Servant who may or may not know the first thing about being able to take my GSA off the centre stand.

( anyone know if Larne centre has the bike rollers? If not, I'd take a chance and ride the extra 20 miles each way to avoid the Mallusk testers )

In Newtownards, I witnessed the examiners going through special training in the lead up to this new aspect of the bike MOT (Ards center is the main training center for the employees). Therefore I asked loads of questions in relation about this (I was taking several cars down belonging to my mates body shop) and none of the guys I spoke too were happy about this new part of the test. They were using a veritiy of machines from YB100 to VFR800 and had no dedicated rollers installed, just the normal car ones (I presume this has changed according to the OP's post). As for them being Civil Servants, they basically all come from a mechanic trained background and have to have had several years experience and qualifications in such. But I only know of one who was an actual bike mechanic, and he is no longer on the 'shop floor', tho' there are quite a few bikers who work in the center.

Genuine question

How can one part of the uk have a different MOT system for bikes than another?

We've had brake rollers for over 20 years & had to pass this more stringent test & they do fail some bikes

A simple push test, how can that be a reliable brake test on a modern bike?

The guy who does my GSA is about 5'7 & he manages with the Ohlins which are 1" higher than stock & has done for years

Perhaps NI should get in line with the rest of the country they are supposed to be in a Union with

If the Ministry tester isn't competent with bikes then they'd better get up to speed quick

Can't believe such a lax system had been permitted in comparison to ours

Hi Davy F, A couple of years ago i took my Africa Twin to the N/ards M.O.T. Centre and the tester put the AT onto the rollers to test both front and rear brakes,When the rollers stopped the AT shot backwards both times.The tester was shorter in height than me I am 6 foot and he just about held it .I can see this test ending in tears and lots of big claims for damaged bikes.Hi Johnnyboxer i wish the test was the same as the rest of the uk as the M.O.T. Test and Driving test it all depends on what sort of mood the tester is in on the day.About 15 years ago i took my Suzuki 750 gt "Water bucket" for M.O.T. in Lisburn the tester did not have a clue what he was checking for ,He failed the GT because the outer rubber cover that slides up and down and could be turned around on the Front Brake line where it go,s through the bracket/Clip on the fork leg was cracked,NOTHING wrong with the brake line as he said,Also because there was no circlip on the fuel line on the petrol tank to the carbs .I had to take the fuel line off with a hack saw as the pipe was never comming off by pulling on it .When i took the bike back for the retest the tester another guy could not believe i had been failed for two things that clearly were not a fail.A few years ago the M.O.T. Testers went on strike in Northern Ireland which resulted in a HUGE backlog with people having to get the ferry to Scotland to M.O.T. Their Cars Lorrys Motorcycles or park them up as they could not use them on the road because they did not have a current M.O.T. So were not covered by insurance,After months of mayhem letters or certificates were sent out to show to the police WHY the Cars/Vans/Lorry/Motorcycles had no M.o.t. certificate.The testers when they went back to work got overtime for about 9 months to catch up on the back log.

MOY

Interesting.

I wasn't aware the MOT test had changed.

We'll see how it goes, as my Panzer isn't back for test until April 2015.:augie

As JB says, in England & Wales at least, bikes have done a roller test on the brakes for several years.

I would refuse to ride my bike into the test bay but I've never been asked to ride the bike onto the rollers - this has usually been one side of a car bay as they simply deactivate one side with a blanking plate. As said above, there may be a difficulty with insurance if a customer drives a vehicle beyond the threshold anyway. Where the tester has been a short arse they have asked for help from an assistant to steady the bike.

My bog standard ABSII R1150GS never had any difficulty passing the test.

Talking to a couple of "trusted" pals in Larne while the Motor was in for test apparently the motorcycle brake test its a relatively painless experience

Then again there are those of us that remember the debacle of the "smoke test" I actually threatened the tester with bodily harm if he red lined my classic Merc diesel :aidan and then I stood right beside when he did the test!

Anyway There'll still be feet a tappin on someones backside if they drop it

Another thing pisses me right off a new sign saying "Turn Mobile phones off!" No Please Thank you Or explanantion!

Soooooooo They can GO AND Fuck themselves! The arrogant twats! Its a Public place and I paid for the test If I want to use my phone I bloody well will!

Feck Sake Someone Pass me the sedatives!!!

Genuine question

Perhaps NI should get in line with the rest of the country they are supposed to be in a Union with

We would all like to know those answers as well...............:D:D:D

To Be honest with a reply I have no Idea Johnny

The procedure to become a tester is quite strict but it only requires you to have passed exams and have the certificates

There are a lot of old hands in there that have been there years and know what is what and I trust their judgement

Then you have the Hitler youth little Nazi fuckwits that have no grey area I have just had the Audi fail on? Yup the front suspension Arms I wouldn;t mind but I removed the one that was hanging out of it and its the same one that he's failed and it was brand new????

Another example of fine fuckwittery .... Why would a 50cc Moped need an MPH speedo Dual marked in Km/hr Like it can barely exceed the 30 mph 50Kmh speed limit But its the same with all vehicles here and there's no fitting a GPS because it can be removed and a bicycle speedo won;t work as it has to be illuminated with vehicle lights

But its a fact We have had this issue for years because some twat down south went in line with Europe with Km/hr speed limits

There are more stupid things but Hey its the civil service for you I don;t think that the system would work the way you folks because some twat would be selling MOT's somewhere along the way to fuck it up for everybody

And Another thing Why would you not have "Decent" brakes on your Bike?? Or tyres or Lights that didn;t work ?? The Mind Boggles

Its about time they had a Bike MOT down south ......
:hide

Genuine question

We've had brake rollers for over 20 years & had to pass this more stringent test & they do fail some bikes

A simple push test, how can that be a reliable brake test on a modern bike?

The guy who does my GSA is about 5'7 & he manages with the Ohlins which are 1" higher than stock & has done for years

If the Ministry tester isn't competent with bikes then they'd better get up to speed quick

Back
Top Bottom