Help with rear shock install

Spike

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys

2019 1250 GSA

I took my rear shock off to get serviced and a beefier spring fitted more to my weight.
it came off not a problem and sent it away.

Got it back and today I have gone ro refit it, top bolt went in not a problem but I cannot get the bottom of the shock to enter the space in the swing arm. tried everything going in from the top jacking upswing arm, jacking the front of the bike with rear wheel on to push the swing arm up, even had the mrs standing on the pegs to add extra weight, going in from the front but still soooo tight.

I have tried squeezing the bushes in a bit more but that did not work.
Anyone else had this and what was the solution. or am i doing something wrong?

Cheers

Hi guys

2019 1250 GSA

I took my rear shock off to get serviced and a beefier spring fitted more to my weight.
it came off not a problem and sent it away.

Got it back and today I have gone ro refit it, top bolt went in not a problem but I cannot get the bottom of the shock to enter the space in the swing arm. tried everything going in from the top jacking upswing arm, jacking the front of the bike with rear wheel on to push the swing arm up, even had the mrs standing on the pegs to add extra weight, going in from the front but still soooo tight.

I have tried squeezing the bushes in a bit more but that did not work.
Anyone else had this and what was the solution. or am i doing something wrong?

Cheers
Hi Spike,

I had the exact same problem when i put the touratech shock on mine... I had to get the file on the shock bearing until it was a nice fit.

Still took a bit of doing though :oops:

I just looked in the Service manual and from the sounds of it you're doing exactly what they say....no special tools used or described either

Place a support block under the rear wheel (to lift it a few inches)

Put shock in place

Fit top bolt

Fit bottom bolt

Hi Spike,

I had the exact same problem when i put the touratech shock on mine... I had to get the file on the shock bearing until it was a nice fit.

Still took a bit of doing though :oops:
Looking like I will have to do that, there is a washer/piston that is not sitting flush on the swingarm and someone said that needs to be pushed back with an aluminium drift, I have ordered one of those so no just waiting

I did one of these a couple of weeks ago and encountered a similar problem. The solution was to fit the lower mount from the rear , not the top. Went in with a light tap.

I took the wheel off for better access.

I did one of these a couple of weeks ago and encountered a similar problem. The solution was to fit the lower mount from the rear , not the top. Went in with a light tap.

I took the wheel off for better access.
Exactly this...

Had similar on my hexhead, the new bush was about .25 oversize compared to the old bush

a quick tickle with a file and it slipped in

Thank for all the replys but still no luck
That bush that is sticking out is it meant to be free and move in and out? if so mine is seized so I was thingking if I put the bolt in without the shock and tighten it should push ity out more so I can free it up is this a correct assumption? The part that is arrowed.

Attachments

• IMG_E4511.JPG
    IMG_E4511.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 14
I had this with my old hexhead. I used a length of stud bar with two nuts, penny washers and a small socket to draw the bushing back into the swingarm casting, at which point the shock bottom eye slipped straight in easily.

Back
Top Bottom