The epitome of a "Well Ridden GS"?

Deleted account 200123001

Reaction score
Never ridden off road, never seen rain, immaculate condition..

And how exactly did it get into this mess?

A quick blast down the M56 to Mold and who should I bump into on the McDonalds carpark but our very own Timolgra what a coincidence....

Now feeling rather inadequate stood next to Tim was this rather serious looking 640 KTM with knobblies....oh dear what have I let myself in for?

I'd like to be able to say exactly where all these we taken, I can't so you will just have to do with somewhere near Ruthin.

The agenda of the day was rut bustin...and there was certainly some bustin' going on.... it's debatable who got more busted!

Starting on some nice easy lanes we stop for a quick break

splashy splashy!

A bit narrow!

Bloody mud!

More bloody mud

Oooh I'm upright for a change

You make it look so easy have you done this before?

What a view

Thanks to the K60 scouts it proved to be a great day they handled everything thrown at them....towards then end of the ride a combination of the mud and fatigue proved too much for both me and the tyres on a number of occasions..more than I care to mention.

A great day's trail riding with Tim very much enjoyed it but f**k me mud is hard work!

Most of those lanes are round the corner for me As well so know them well how were the k70s in the mud better than tkcs running 20psi ish??
Ps I struggle on my gas gas 300 on there most of the time so well done

On a positive note , at least you got the pegs down...both sides. :D

Before we set off, first thing get some of that air out of the tyres:D

To be fair Blue, that was a well ridden GS as the mud was slippy and you can see how important a good tyre is in those conditions.

You must be knackered, I was from just watching as that bike must've been over at least a dozen times, well done!!! :clap

IMGP0015-XL.jpg

Looking forward to Larry showing us how good that 1190 is in the mud :green gri

IMGP0017-XL.jpg

Anyway Tim why wasn't your 1150 out there

Most of those lanes are round the corner for me As well so know them well how were the k70s in the mud better than tkcs running 20psi ish??
Ps I struggle on my gas gas 300 on there most of the time so well done

I've never been on TKC80's or any knobbly or even any off road bike before getting this bike in March this year so I dont know how they compare to a more focused tyre.

To be fair, I think the K60 scouts did a bloody good job today and I had complete faith in them apart from the tyre width mud ruts, probably down to my current lack of skill, I was finding that the front would just go on me and off I went. So thats where I think the TKC 80's would have made a big difference.

On the rocky bits they were great for both climbing and decending,

considering I've tried tackling more severe rocky/gravel stuff on tourances the K60's were a revelation today...and the best bit was I could blast it back home on the motorway with no discernable difference than on the tourances.

Well done Blue, nice to see a smile on your face after many offs. :D

Cheers, to be fair..if your brave/stupid enough to take a bike like the 1150gs on stuff we've done today its inevitable..besides thats what the crash bars are for!

Nice one Blue, well done on having a go.

Cheers mate...I have pondered a few times of late whether I should (have) got a dakar like yours rather than the 1150 i do really quite like the look of them.
All the pics I have seen of you on the bike make it look like your having a blast on it.

Looking forward to Larry showing us how good that 1190 is in the mud :green gri .......

:D The forecast for tomorrow isn't too good - I think it's going to get covered in shite the minute I ride out the showroom :blast

On a serious note, my GSA had two wheel sets so swapping between road and off road tyres was a doddle.

As Tim says Blue .... tyres are everything off road and the never ending compromise of one adventure bike and one set of wheels is that you either sacrifice tarmac, or dirt. You'll never find a tyre that (properly) does both ... :thumb2

Good for you..........do not use a jet wash.
You might think its a good idea but.......do not use a jet wash.
There are lots on here that say it'll be fine.......do not use a jet wash.

They are the work of Satan. Oh by the way.......do not use a jet wash.

Cheers mate...I have pondered a few times of late whether I should (have) got a dakar like yours rather than the 1150 i do really quite like the look of them.
All the pics I have seen of you on the bike make it look like your having a blast on it.

Problem is there isn't much Dakar left on mine. In standard trim they're just about ok off the tarmac, but you're looking for a bike to green lane there are plenty of better options.

Problem is there isn't much Dakar left on mine. In standard trim they're just about ok off the tarmac, but you're looking for a bike to green lane there are plenty of better options.
Thanks..not really looking for a dedicated Greenlaner just something that is easier to pick up and handle in the slippy stuff...and commute on...and good on motorways...and be fun on the twisties and....you get the idea...

Good for you..........do not use a jet wash.
You might think its a good idea but.......do not use a jet wash.
There are lots on here that say it'll be fine.......do not use a jet wash.

They are the work of Satan. Oh by the way.......do not use a jet wash.
Unless I want to wreck bearings and fill the FD full of water?

Unless I want to wreck bearings and fill the FD full of water?

It's not going to fill the FD drive full of water Blue and I told you how to make an extended breather for river crossings:thumb

I use a pressure washer ALL the time, in fact called at the garage after leaving you yesterday to get the worst off, just be careful not to use it too close around bearings and electrical connections etc. Then warm the bike up and spray with either duck oil or Morriss's MD4 which I use :beerjug:

It's not going to fill the FD drive full of water Blue and I told you how to make an extended breather for river crossings:thumb

I use a pressure washer ALL the time, in fact called at the garage after leaving you yesterday to get the worst off, just be careful not to use it too close around bearings and electrical connections etc. Then warm the bike up and spray with either duck oil or Morriss's MD4 which I use :beerjug:
Yes, i'll look into the snorkel idea.

Back
Top Bottom