Sunderland / Washington

PhilK

Reaction score
Hi Chaps
A non bike related favour required from anyone in the Sunderland / Washington area.

My daughter has got a job in Sunderland and is currently sharing a house.
She is keen to put roots down and buy something.

Snag is, she doesn't know the Sunderland / Washington area very well.
I'm after a favour - could any of you PM me or just post on here,
... a short list of OK areas to Sunderland / Washington and also areas that you wouldn't recommend she looks to buy ?

Thanks in Advance

It really depends where she works & if she drives or not.

Is she working in Sunderland city centre or Washington because there's quite a difference in distance even in a car ? Lots of nice places in both, depending on how far you'd like to travel.

Not much help sorry but, she needs to be a bit more specific.

:cool:

I was in a similar position to your daughter a while back, we moved to Teal Farm in Washington for about five years before retuning back over he Tyne, but Fatfield or the old village were OK. Ashbrooke in Sunderland or Boldon are not abysmal.

Mind I'd talk her out of such a crazy idea, I've a house in Ovingham, that's on the market....

She's working at Sunderland University.
Washington came up because she uses a gym there and she says she would be happy living near either the Gym, or work.

I'm no makem but Barnes, Ashbrooke, Fulwell, Roker, Boldon, bits of Hendon and Grindon OK

Avoid Pallion, Southwick, Pennywell

Where is the Gym?
Biddick is on the outskirts of Washington with more or less immediate road links to A1M, A19 & A1231
Avoid Barmston, Concord, Albany, Donwell etc etc ;)

How much is her budget, that'll really be the deciding factor for locations.

Concord had a canny kebab shop and a 'Spoons.

But then I guess it might have gone downhill since I was there last

How about chester le street. my sister moved there from hull and loves it.

rickleton is nice mate Harraton is much the same but a bit cheeper,as said you cant go far wrong in chester le street too.also penshaw too is a good area.

Hey chaps - thanks for all the great comments and suggestions.

Very much appreciated.

I recently moved to Devon from the Midlands. We chose the areas to live by looking at primary school quality ratings.
Snobbish maybe but it does work.

I live in sunderland and have done so for most of my life. I live in herrington which is on the outskirts of the town on the south side of the river (5mins into town and 15 mins to durham) areas I have lived in and could reccomend are High Barnes, moor side, chapel Garth which is near moor side. As previously stated tho it's all about budget. Fatfield and teal farm are nice but nearer Washington. Roker, Whitburn and Fullwell are also nice on the north side of the river.

Hope this helps.

I love when someone is told to avoid the parts Sunderland I was born in and my dad was born in.
Yep we avoid them too!!!

Adrian

Strange isn't it ! I was born in Hendon, Grew up in Redhouse (Dan still there in RH), bought my first cottage in Southwick (£6k Cash), teenage years wandering around Easington lane, Hetton & Shinney. Great life but wouldn't recommend any of them !!

If you live there sorry if I offend, but give back the stolen laptop !!! (joke) :D

Back
Top Bottom