F800GS heated Grip Issue

thepeachroom

Reaction score
Looking for some advice here with an issue I'm having with my 800GS. Bike was brand new in September and I'm already having issues with the heated grips.

When I first got the bike, the heated grips were lovely and warm. So warm, that they got to the point where you had to turn them down they got so hot.

A few weeks ago the grips would sometimes stop working for no reason. One morning they would work, the next they wouldn't, sometimes they would start to get hot halfway through my commute to work so it was pretty erratic as to whether they would work or not.

What I have also noticed is that they get nowhere near as hot as they were when the bike was new and most of the time my hands are very cold.

Bike is still under warranty so it went back to the dealer for them to look at. Dealer had the bike for a week and said the problem was due to a software update that was required. I collected the bike today and although the grips were working, they still don't seem to be getting very hot.

Ive been riding a loan 1200GS for the last week and the heated grips on that have been getting lovely and hot. Sadly, my 800GS grips and nowhere near as good as the ones on the 1200GS.

I called the dealer and said my grips still were not getting very hot. They said the grips on the 800GS dont get anywhere near as hot as the ones on the 1200GS so there was nothing more they could do.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with this bike. It's already been fixed once under warranty as it would carry on running when you removed the keys from the ignition. Bike has done less than 1500 miles and has already been back to the dealer twice to be repaired under warranty. I had expected more from BMW if I'm honest.

Any ideas on the grip issue would be appreciated.

Interesting issue. I hope you get it fixed.

I'm having a problem with mine and it's been suggested it us as my battery is getting weak. Sometimes they just won't come on. I have to stop, switch off, wait 10 secs or so and then when I start up they'll come on again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

grips

I had a similar issue Last time i used my f8gs at about freezing temps the heated grips were shite compared to what I know they can be. I read, possibly on here about a software glitch that affected the grips when you need them most :rolleyes: but I rarely use the bike in the winter & it's not in warranty so didn't pursue it further. As for 1200 grips being hotter that's got to be an attempted fob off surely :nenau

Hope you get it sorted anyway :thumb2 & report back if you do

AL

if I'm honest, I do feel fobbed off...

My grips will also sometimes just not work and if I stop, switch the bike off and then turn it back on again sometimes they will come on. I did wonder about the battery being crap so I think I'll try a battery from one of my other bikes in it this weekend and see if it makes any difference.

Just strange how when the bike was new they got lovely and hot, now they don't :-(

Take it back or get a second opinion from another dealer - the grips should've hot and toasty... mine are hot enough you can't hold them.

As far as reliability goes, the switch gear / electrics on the new F700/800 is pretty poor - mines been back 4 times for electronic problems, twice for paint issues and once for a rear brake problem... all in all, pretty disappointing really but at least NOG have been faultless in their customer service and that's the only reason I'd consider another.

Back
Top Bottom