Throttle locks

In the event of a claim, the evidence of any modification would have to be considered 'a material fact' in disputing the payout. Modifying your twin front discs to a drum brake would be a material fact should you run into someone. If you fail to mention that you have luggage, carbon can etc., then your insurers could legitimately under compensate for your loss if it gets nicked/trashed.

In the event of a claim, the evidence of any modification would have to be considered 'a material fact' in disputing the payout. Modifying your twin front discs to a drum brake would be a material fact should you run into someone. If you fail to mention that you have luggage, carbon can etc., then your insurers could legitimately under compensate for your loss if it gets nicked/trashed.

And to me a throttle lock, by its nature, would be a considerable factor in any accident if it was activated at the time

Fanum made a good point about third party cover.

My understanding of it (I had a look around the web) is that if there was valid insurance in place at the date of policy commencement, they would have to pay out to a third party. So say, modifications would not affect this cover if fitted half way through the term. Although, if modifications were not declared at the start of the policy, the insurance is potentially invalid.

It seems to be a very complex area of law though.

karlp, i agree with you I must say.

Get a life and get real, once an insurance company has taken your money there is NO circumstance where they can invalidate your 3rd party cover, its not complex its simple straight forward and a piss easy, the only way to cancel your insurance is to send you a 7 day cancellation notice and tell you in advance. You can lie about everything on the policy and they still have to cover you for third party. simples.

Fanum made a good point about third party cover.

My understanding of it (I had a look around the web) is that if there was valid insurance in place at the date of policy commencement, they would have to pay out to a third party. So say, modifications would not affect this cover if fitted half way through the term. Although, if modifications were not declared at the start of the policy, the insurance is potentially invalid.

It seems to be a very complex area of law though.

karlp, i agree with you I must say.

Get a life and get real, once an insurance company has taken your money there is NO circumstance where they can invalidate your 3rd party cover, its not complex its simple straight forward and a piss easy, the only way to cancel your insurance is to send you a 7 day cancellation notice and tell you in advance. You can lie about everything on the policy and they still have to cover you for third party. simples.

I'm sorry, I don't believe that. Can you show any evidence to support what you are saying? I know there are laws protecting 3rd party cover, but that does not mean it is as clear cut as you state.

Chill man, this is a discussion and I think a worthwhile one. I have no objection to being corrected if I'm wrong.

Really

So I contact an insurance company

Lie about any convictions for drink driving, dangerous driving, numerous accidents,having a valid license.

Have an accident or even worse kill someone and the insurance company can do nothing about it.

Please provide evidence to support your claim.

See my link in post 27:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/151 specifically ss5&6 to see what the insurer is obligated to do in respect of 3rd party claims

Basically if there was a policy in force that was cancellable as a result of failure to declare material facts when taking out the policy then the insurer is obliged to pay out to a 3rd party up to the limits stated. They'd no doubt come after the policy holder for any sums paid out in these circumstances but there is a safety net in place for 3rd parties.

Ok renewed the insurance and told them I was fitting a Throttle lock would this effect it in any way and they said no. I then asked was it notifiable to them and the reply was " All modifications from standard are notifiable to your insurance, if you don't it could effect any claims you make on the policy."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insurance to protect your investment? Didn't know a GS actually went up in value.
You can get GAP insurance if you want to protect your purchase I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok then, this is a rough list of the modifications to my suzuki TL 1000s, I may have forgotten some.
owned from new since august 98,carbon fibre fairings, hinkle windowed clutch cover,braided lines,5/8 front brake master cylinder.1/5 throttle,Helibars,blue double bubble screen,stainless steel renegade cans, ohlins damper,stainless rad and oil cooler covers,undertray,carbon hugger,silver powdercoated wheels,k+n filter and TRE,R+G bungs,LED indicators,gold X ring chain with 40T rear sprocket,trick front mudguard,
gold hyabusa forks,gold six pot brake calipers, gold front discs and gold rear caliper,pazzo levers,
Billet clutch pressure plate and bolt retainers,
Some of it has been declared to my insurance company some not,
I clipped the back of a car last year in Germany, after a brief stay in hospital where a nice German surgeon inserted 3 plates and 23 pins in my left hand I was flown home, my insurance shipped my bike back, they wrote it off, I bought it back for 650 quid, it was back on the road for another 500.
There was no comments about a single modification, no one threatening to cancel my insurance , no one asked why I'd not declared a lot of the modifications, in fact they were quite happy to keep it insured once I'd told them it was fixed and ready to ride again.
And some of you think your insurance will be invalidated because you've not told them about a fackin throttle lock ffs,
Really chaps get a grip, fanum certainly has a point.

Last edited:
See my link in post 27:

Basically if there was a policy in force that was cancellable as a result of failure to declare material facts when taking out the policy then the insurer is obliged to pay out to a 3rd party up to the limits stated. They'd no doubt come after the policy holder for any sums paid out in these circumstances but there is a safety net in place for 3rd parties.

Andy, I have read through the legislation as well as I am able. I concede the point about 3rd party cover. On the face of it, it does seem like such risk is covered even if the policy is invalid. However, I stand by my original point that its better to declare, unless someone with undeclared modifications fancies having an insurance company chase them for the money personally in the event of a claim from a 3rd party. Why risk your house for the sake of declaring a set of braided hoses or whatever? Sounds far fetched, but common sense and insurance settlements don't generally mix.

Also, if something did happen and a policy was found to be invalid due to misrepresentation of the vehicle, it is very likely that this would go on record somehow as a decline/refusal or outright fraud. Could create a nightmare for obtaining insurance for anything in the future? Sure, they pay out the 3rd party in the event of an accident, but that doesn't help you recover your loss, or when you come to your next vehicle/life policy/home insurance or whatever. I also have to wonder if legislation regarding insurance fraud could somehow come into play if it was serious enough.

I sound like a proper do-gooder, which couldn't really be further from the truth. I just find the subject interesting and also a nightmare at the same time.

As is nearly always the case, each to their own. I think I'll continue to declare, it rarely adds to the cost anyway. I still don't see why anyone would choose not to bother unless its TPO cover. I truly don't, for the few minutes it takes.

Ok then, this is a rough list of the modifications to my suzuki TL 1000s, I may have forgotten some.
owned from new since august 98,carbon fibre fairings, hinkle windowed clutch cover,braided lines,5/8 front brake master cylinder.1/5 throttle,Helibars,blue double bubble screen,stainless steel renegade cans, ohlins damper,stainless rad and oil cooler covers,undertray,carbon hugger,silver powdercoated wheels,k+n filter and TRE,R+G bungs,LED indicators,gold X ring chain with 40T rear sprocket,trick front mudguard,
gold hyabusa forks,gold six pot brake calipers, gold front discs and gold rear caliper,pazzo levers,
Billet clutch pressure plate and bolt retainers,
Some of it has been declared to my insurance company some not,
I clipped the back of a car last year in Germany, after a brief stay in hospital where a nice German surgeon inserted 3 plates and 23 pins in my left hand I was flown home, my insurance shipped my bike back, they wrote it off, I bought it back for 650 quid, it was back on the road for another 500.
There was no comments about a single modification, no one threatening to cancel my insurance , no one asked why I'd not declared a lot of the modifications, in fact they were quite happy to keep it insured once I'd told them it was fixed and ready to ride again.
And some of you think your insurance will be invalidated because you've not told them about a fackin throttle lock ffs,
Really chaps get a grip, fanum certainly has a point.

This may have something to do with the age of the vehicle and the value of the claim? Lower value claims tend not to attract as much attention from the loss adjusters I would suggest. Couldn't really say for sure.

But if you crashed into a wall at speed on a new GS worth £15k, they would be looking very carefully at the bike and rider, and a throttle lock being undeclared would suddenly become a major issue. You can be sure of that.

I get your point but I wasn't really thinking about theft claims, nor only the third party portion of cover since I assumed most people insure their bike to protect their investment also. It's not alarmist, it's in the terms and conditions of virtually all major insurers that you must declare any and all modifications, failure to do so may invalidate your policy...etc. Who's to say to what extent as its situational. As you know, what is classed as a modification differs from insurer to insurer. I could just see a scenario where excess speed was to blame for an accident and throttle use was called into question. The way things get twisted, it's not too much of a stretch to see how even a throttle lock could be brought into the argument in such a case.

I just don't see the point in not declaring them, there are plenty of insurers who would happily insure modified bikes, often at no additional cost. The only thing that sucks is if you do mod mid-term, they get to charge ridiculous admin fee's.

Lets take it to the extreme and say you had a Mini, registered and insured as a 1.0. Modification was a massive turbo and nitrous kit. Would third party cover still be valid in that case? Maybe it is, I honestly wouldn't know.

I'm definitely not the type of person to bend over and be shafted by insurers, I hate the way they do almost everything. I'd be massively in favour of a nationalised system, at least for 3rd party cover. But I think it's reckless to say that you can run undeclared modifications and still be fully insured, because I'd say that was debateable at best. I recognise thousands of people do it. Thousands of people also do that "fronting" trick for named drivers, but it doesn't make it legal or right.

But, each to their own.

The only reason people do not declare the modifications is because it will - usually - cost money - the same reason people get cheap insurance and then grumble about the 'bad service' when they make a claim

Back
Top Bottom